If you could have only one Bukowski book forever

i'm new here so i don't know if there is already a thread about this. I was just wondering if you could only read one bukowski book for the rest of your life what would it be? personally i'd have to go with either "Ham on rye" or "last night of the earth poems" . i would choose "ham on rye" because i identify strongly with young bukowski and "last night...." because it has my favourite buk poem "bluebird"

Burning In Water, Drowning In Flame has always been my favorite. "The Way" "I Met A Genius" "The Fisherman"--hell, so many great poems in it...& the design is simply gorgeous.

Hosh, bluebottle... you old schoolies you!
I would have agreed with you except for the much better, wholly unrealistic option slated by roni.

c7218.jpg

my choice would be the infamous 7,000 pages 'barely-portable Bukowski-Sampler'.

Mine too! That's the only sensible solution. It fits nicely in a suitcase with wheels underneath...

Last edited by a moderator:
bluebird has been ruined for me ever since i heard valerian sing it. seriously, i can't read the damn thing without thinking of that fucktard singing like a pirate in a high-school musical. it makes me so angry i want to find him and kill him, and i'm really not a violent person normally.

bluebird has been ruined for me ever since i heard valerian sing it. seriously, i can't read the damn thing without thinking of that fucktard singing like a pirate in a high-school musical. it makes me so angry i want to find him and kill him, and i'm really not a violent person normally.
i've never heard that before but if i had there is a good chance i'd feel the same way. I hate whwn people ruin stuff that way. I used to love the poem "roll the dice" before i heard Bono read it. I really fuckin' Hate Bono.

I'm in the right place then. One of these days on i'm going to start an online petition in a hope to pass a law to keep bono away from the works of both Bukowski and Bob Dylan.

i have no words to defend Bonos versions of Buk poems.
but i like U2.
i know, i'm alone here on that. nevermind ...

there is just something about the way bono read that bukowski poem that damn near made me puke. But don't worry, roni. I like U2. you're not alone.

I will choose Dangling In The Tournefortia, since Burning In Water/Drowning In Flame has already been mentioned, and I can never decide which of those two I love best.

51-ZJsB7fNL._SS500_.jpg

It was my first Bukowski book, and for that reason has a nostalgic advantages over all others, even though this is a very tough pick.

No, I believe that I once read it while getting divorced, having my car stolen, losing my job, and hacking my nuts off with a rusty grapefruit spoon; all within a span of about 15 minutes, and I still found it quite funny. ;)

Thank you Purple SP I just found the book, nearly lost in the trash out of the car from a trip straight down to So Cal from Portland. It had a wad of gum stuck to one corner and the receipt for it's purchase from the wrong Barnes and Noble as a book marker. If you had not made that recomendation it would have been tossed.
After all that, and trying to stay on thread, that might mean this is the one Bukowski book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back