• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Mis-print for $50???? / "At Terror Street" correction (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=250133208462&rd=1&rd=1

I am always amazed that a simple printer's error would actually generate interest like this. I can understand why "at Terror Sreet" is rare and expensive, but a printer's error from 1999 for $50?

If ebay teaches me anything is that it would not surprise me if this sold for the $50 in the end, or if it goes up to $300....

Odd....

Bill

p.s. in my opinion, this book is probably worth about $17 (or whatever it woulds cost you to buy a used BSP editon), but certainly less than $50. Hell, I paid like $200 for a signed HB true first of Women....

I don't think he gets $51 for this shit.
Probably his uncle or aunt was bidder 1...

By the way...congrats with the mag. ;)

I'm always surprised when I see this kind of flaw mentioned as a selling point.

I have a HB first of Ralph Steadman's "I Leonardo" with one of the sigs bound in upside-down. Do you suppose I could get a premium for that? I also have a couple of books where the sheets were creased as they were fed into the press leaving blank spaces in the text. I imagine that those must be worth a ton o' money.

I am always amazed that a simple printer's error would actually generate interest like this.
That's nothing. In the baseball card collecting world errors demand huge premiums. As a printer it always made me laugh. An error being worth 10 times what a good copy is because the printer or someone in the bindery didn't pull it out and throw it in the recycling bin.

Here's one up to $350 because a piece of lint/paper stuck to the plate causing a "hickey" on the last letter of this guy's name:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1957-Topps-176-...9QQihZ020QQcategoryZ55917QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Some people will buy anything.

If I bought this book at a store in this condition, I would have exchanged it for a correctly printed and collated copy. Now some yutz thinks this is a collector's item because some con artist seller on eBay promoted it as such. I bet that the rube buyer will try to sell it down the line for even more money--and in this crazy world, he just may get it.

On eBay, the only thing worse than a scamming seller is a moron buyer.

Here's one up to $350 because a piece of lint/paper stuck to the plate causing a "hickey" on the last letter of this guy's name

Just looked at this card. The seller promoted it as a misprint/error "Bakep" when it is (as mjp noted) a hickey on the cap "R" in the player's name. But the back of the card has several hickeys and printing spots. I've been in printing and publishing for three decades, and I even worked at the sports collectibles magazine "Tuff Stuff" in the '90s. This hickey isn't enough to warrant such a high price.

Again, an eBay seller misrepresented an auction--this time a minor printing error from a poor printing job as a typographical error. But he hooked a buyer. What a great place eBay is to scam people...uh...do business.

If I bought this book at a store in this condition, I would have exchanged it for a correctly printed and collated copy. Now some yutz thinks this is a collector's item because some con artist seller on eBay promoted it as such. I bet that the rube buyer will try to sell it down the line for even more money--and in this crazy world, he just may get it.

I totally disagree,....
Sortof.
The most collectible U.S. Currency (coins (certainly now) included)
Are often the mis(prints, pressings)
And same with Stamps, etc.

The collecting game is wacko,
And I think it's assinine (sp?) to call this seller a con artist
Sorry,
:(
He just might know where the pot of gold is in futures->
Think if Aaron updated his Biblio...
This would be included
Like Sreet for Street
;)

etc.

I totally disagree,....
Sortof.
The most collectible U.S. Currency (coins (certainly now) included)
Are often the mis(prints, pressings)
And same with Stamps, etc.

Stamps, coins and paper currency are subject to such a high degree of quality control that the likelihood of errors getting into circulation is extremely low. You can't compare a upside-down airplane on a stamp to a sheet that stuck to another sheet as it went through a press (which is actually pretty common).

The collecting game is wacko,
And I think it's assinine (sp?) to call this seller a con artist
Sorry,
:(
He just might know where the pot of gold is in futures->
Think if Aaron updated his Biblio...
This would be included
Like Sreet for Street
;)

etc.

I agree that the seller might not be intentionally conning anyone... he may really believe that this kind of error makes the item "special."

I tend to doubt that Aaron K would include something like this in the bibliography. It's basically a "factory second." "Terror Sreet" was a glaring typo in the title and on the cover of the book fer chrissake, plus it apparently was printed that way that on every copy, with only a handful getting out before the problem was noticed and corrected (well, sort of corrected).

and just to go a bit deeper on the Sreet for Street issue - even the un-corrected copies have the white corrected cover label laid in. It's just that they weren't glued on.

Think if Aaron updated his Biblio... This would be included

But it would not be included in Aaron's biblio. Not in a million years. To do that would require an error entry for each listing stating that there were random insignificant printing errors in every one of the entries. The SREET error was a typesetting error, not a printing error.

Bill

and just to go a bit deeper on the Sreet for Street issue - even the un-corrected copies have the white corrected cover label laid in. It's just that they weren't glued on.
I hadn't heard that before. If that's true then the story that 18 copies "got out before they noticed" is not true.

Yeah. I was quite surprised when my copy of this book came and I found the corrected cover plate inside.
Maybe the story is true. Maybe lots of corrected cover plates were made and most of them found their way into all existing copies
Or (more likely) someone who was pedantic enough to chase down one of the 18 also chased down a cover plate to go with.
Collectors are a fastidious bunch, after all.

Maybe Martin mailed out copies of the correction to the buyers of the early version and said, "Here, glue this over the cover of the book." ;)

I'd like to know the real story behind that.

my guess is that there were extra copies of the KodaChrome pasteover and those were sent to people that had the error. I know that if I had a copy of this book, I would really want a loose cover, too. As a collector that would be very cool to have together.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back