New Full Length BoSP release by Soheyl Dahi Announced (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Hello,
I am announcing my first full length release. This upcoming book is a hardback only release. The details are as follows:

128 pages of short stories. Limited to an edition of 50 copies hand bound in boards, each containing an original acrylic painting by the author. The cover is a cyanotype by me. The price is $40 on release, but $35 for any preorders (plus shipping) that come through the fine folks at buk.net. Also, I will scan all of the artwork and the earliest reservations will get the first picks. I have not announced this anywhere else yet.

Here are a couple photos of the mock-up. The title has been changed, so please disregard that, but otherwise, it is the same.

dahi1.JPG

dahi2.JPG

dahi3.JPG

I plan on having this out in November, but those of you that know me know that I sometimes take a bit longer than anticipated. This should stay on schedule this time, though for an early November release.

Anyone interested, please e-mail me and let me know. Payment can be made by PayPal to [email protected]. Please add $3 shipping in the US and $6 shipping overseas.

Thanks,
Bill

p.s. If I owe anyone anything that has not been received from any previous commitments, please e-mail me and let me know.

Hi justin,
Do you mean to have me print and bind the release? That depends on many things like number of pages, printing method, binding method, type of cover, type of paper, etc, etc.

If that is what you mean, then please contact me off-list and we can discuss....

If you are talking about this release specifically, the guts are being professionally printed. I do all of my binding myself, so it just takes a ton of time and some money, but more time than money on my end. The cover is light sensitive paper that is developed using a mask and the sun, so the energy for that is free....

Thanks,

Bill

p.s. The photos above show a smaller book. This is the mock-up. The actual book will be slightly larger in length, width and thickness....

If I may say, Bill... All your stuff is professionally printed. Congrats on the full length release! Just outside of my price range as of today, but a week or two from now? Who knows... A nice looking piece of work. I've not yet read any Dahi though.

Bill: Are you planning for two different versions of the cover? I like both, but my preference leans toward the black and yellow over the blue and white.

Bill: Are you planning for two different versions of the cover? I like both, but my preference leans toward the black and yellow over the blue and white.

Hi,
They are all the same book. If you like the one at the bottom, it is best to turn the lights down when you look at it! My flash failed on that one. ha!

Oddly enough there are different chemicals that will make different color images, but a true cyanotype is always blue (as mjp said). I know that there are browns and greens, but I have not messed with them and those are ones that you would need to mix the chemicals and treat the paper as I know of no one who sells pre-prepared versions of these colors.

Maybe next time, though...

Best,
Bill

You mentioned that this was the cyanotype you'd asked about, but I'm surprised at how different they look in and out of direct light.

I like subdued lighting, so I guess I'm in luck.

Oddly enough there are different chemicals that will make different color images, but a true cyanotype is always blue (as mjp said). I know that there are browns and greens, but I have not messed with them and those are ones that you would need to mix the chemicals and treat the paper as I know of no one who sells pre-prepared versions of these colors.
sounds like chemistry...if only you knew a chemist. hmmm....

Cyanotype was an early photographic process, back in the 1800s. Like all pre-digital photography, it was a chemical process.

So, Bill, spill on how you did the print. Make a negative on the computer, printed on clear plastic? You could also make a paper stencil with the lettering and lines, but your image is too fine for that. I love the typical cyanotype where they lay out leaves, coins, keys, junk from their pockets.

Hi,
Yep, I made a negative with my computer and printed it on transparencies.

I agree, that the leaves look cool. I'll save that for another project!

Best,
bill

Ha! I'm the one who gave him chemical info on the cyanotype, and even I was fooled by the pictures. But, Bill knows at least two...

that's right...two...i forgot.
what are the odds...
cyanotype is a really beautiful style of printing.

i'm bringing back the dagguerotype, too. only, it'll be cooler.
the barrettotype. it'll revolutionize early 1800 photography.

Just announced...

This will also be available in a trade perfect bound paperback edition. $10 plus shipping. If you bought the hardback because there was no trade PB available, we can talk and I can refund the difference and hold a paper copy for you.

Of course, the trade edition will not be hardbound and will not have original artwork, but the option is there.

Best,
Bill

There are modern dagguereotypes. You can see some on eBay. Mostly nudes, it seems.

Bill: will the paperback have cyanotype wrappers? (for some reason, the phrase "cyanotype wrappers" reminders me of the phrase "TB sheets", but that's just my brain at work.)

The paperback copies will not have an original cyanotype, but a copy of one. They are being mass produced and I am not binding the paper copies here. Bill

There are modern dagguereotypes. You can see some on eBay. Mostly nudes, it seems.

Bill: will the paperback have cyanotype wrappers? (for some reason, the phrase "cyanotype wrappers" reminders me of the phrase "TB sheets", but that's just my brain at work.)

Myself, of "LSD Blotters" or "Cellophane Sails"

You're have the feds on your ass, Bill. "Art? What's Art?" They'll never buy your story.

surprisingly there is a market for blotter art. Most of it looks like the blotter acid that I did when I was a kid, but they make it without the LSD in it. Of course, a sheet of actual LSD will get you 100 years in prison, so I'll avoid that!

Best,
Bill

Damn, what will they think of next? Back in the old days, blotter was usually a little square of blank blotter paper, once in a while it might have a blue or red dot, and on rare occasions it would have an Owsley Stanley dancing bear or a crappy little dragon printed on it. LSD sure has gotten fancy over the years.

I'm pretty sure that I did the globes (on the right, 5th row from the bottom). I think that I took three or four hits, but can't recall as I took one, but it took a while and nothing was hapenning. We went back to get more and by the time we got back, we were tripping hard. We just knew that we were there to get more. Not that we needed more. This was probably 1987...

Bill

I took my first acid in 1970 (though I suppose it could have been early '71). It was a half hit of 4-way blue-dot blotter and was very strong. I had no idea what to expect. It went something like this:

Friend: I have some acid. Wanna try it?
Me: Sure!

The rest is blurry history. I do remember walking past the old Venice police station just as the drug was taking effect and then sitting in a house in the Venice Canals (which was a hippie enclave at the time) a little later, staring at the abstract electrical pattern of reflections on the water, when this fucking photo-realistic duck swam right through the middle of it and turned everything bad.

Not sure what possessed me to try it again, since for the most part it was not a good experience, but try it I did... many times... and never had another bad trip (though there were a few times that were kind of tense like the time some friends and I were frying our heads off and got stopped and questioned by the police). Had some great experiences with it actually, especially in the woods and in Big Sur.

Thanks for the link to the blotter art, Black Swan. I didn't see anything there that looked familiar though.

Note: Anyone interested in the whole history of LSD should read Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD and the Sixties Rebellion by Lee and Shlain and Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream by Jay Stevens. Both are really entertaining reads and highly recommended.

I remember taking lsd-25 two days before Woodstock.
My friends came to pick me up, we were to drive and go to the festival. I just could not make it, I was too busy trying to find my way back to reality, fighting the wavering curtain fibers that were coming off the window and checking the action taking place on the floor.

The books arrived from the printer. Now to strip the paperback covers off and make them into hardbacks!

There will also be 100 paperback copies, but I have not decided on how I will release those. Details soon.

Bill

d1.JPG

Hi,
OK. The cyanotypes as the cover had a couple problems. Because of this, I took the book in a slightly different direction.

attachment.php

In addition to including the original acrylic painting, I will also include a little three poem chapbook with a cyanotype cover with all hardback purchases.

In addition, the paperback copies will be covered with a letterpress DJ. The price on the paperback copies is $12 plus shipping (the hardbacks are $35 plus shipping).

I will announce these tonight or tomorrow to my e-mail list, and I still have a few hardbacks, but not too many. I'm not trying to "sell these up", but wanted to let you know the status on them. The hardbacks will likely sell out pretty fast, but I expect that the paperbacks will be around a bit longer.

Here is the paperback DJ:

DSCF3352.JPG

Best,
Bill

p.s. The photos and ordering /payment info should be on my website in the next couple days....

Looks good, man. I wonder why the title change though? The first one had a lot more zazz, as the kids say.

I liked the other one too (which is the title of one of the stories in the book).

Still, this one sums up the book, as it were. This title change was the author's decision.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back