New Interview with John Dullaghan, director of Bukowski: Born Into This (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

I conducted an interview with John Dullaghan a few months back. We talked about his journey in general, and then more specifically about the making of the film and his feelings about it now that some time has passed since it was released.
John was terrific to talk to, open and candid.

A lot of the stuff that John talks about has been covered before, but I hope that you'll find something new and of interest in there.

The interview is audio, and quite long, 80 minutes, so if you have a long run planned, or some chores that you need to be distracted from, you might want to put it on.
You can find it here:
http://thedocpod.net/2016/06/03/john-dullaghan/

Hope you enjoy it.

I always wondered why Linda King had been left out of the documentary.
Or Gypsy Lou.

Hi zobraks,
Yes, Linda King's absence is curious.
John acknowledges her, but there's nothing substantial.
He does talk about the kinds of pressures that he had to deal with in the shaping of the film, as well as the negotiations that a film maker has to go through to get a film out into the world; I'm guessing that the decisions about Linda King's inclusion would have been a part of that process.

Very cool, thanks a lot Adrian !
Hi Petey,
You bet!
John was great to talk to.
Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the credits, at the end of the doco, there were a load of interviews made with so many interesting people (if you've read his correspondence you'll know a lot of these names listed) but so little of them were brought into the film. I understand the film only has 2 hrs to cram stuff into it, but those who were brought into the film (eg. Bono, Sean Penn, etc) who knew Bukowski much later in life were given loads of time but not those who knew him in his early life. I've always wondered why there was never an extended version of the film made (eg. a 4 hour version), or else a playlist of all the interviews on a bonus disk to work through.

I haven't listened to this particular interview, but generally speaking, it's kind of common knowledge that Linda Bukowski was/is not a big fan of Linda King, so it's not surprising that a documentary that relied heavily on her participation and permission didn't delve too deeply into Bukowski's relationship with King.

You could argue that Bukowski's...tempestuous relationship with King inspired a lot of writing, which it did, but on the other hand, his relationship with every woman in his life was tempestuous, so singling her out isn't really necessary to understand what made him tick.

Look at it this way: if your wife was involved in a documentary about you, you wouldn't expect the documentary to spend a lot of time talking about your old girlfriends. The survivors write history, they always have. But then history has a way of changing when everyone who was directly involved is gone, and there are no longer any feelings to hurt or toes to step on.

That was a very insightful interview. Thanks for sharing. It certainly answered some of my questions.
Hey BukFan Brad,

Thanks for the comment. Glad the interview answered some of your questions.
Those sorts of decisions, who to include and who to leave out, what to devote running time to, etc, are all part of that process that film makers have to deal with and problems they have to solve. I'm quite in awe of the alchemy that they come up with.

I haven't listened to this particular interview, but generally speaking......

Hi MJP,

I think that sums it up nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back