New poetry collection: "Storm for the Living and the Dead" (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
I'm happy to say that the new Bukowski collection will most probably come out next Fall. It's all unpublished and uncollected poetry --there are 72 previously uncollected poems and 26 unpublished poems, totaling some 300 pages.

After editing OW, OC, OL and EB, this was the title I was really looking forward to. Sometimes you just have to be patient to get where you'd like to get. I had a great time putting together the previous collections, but Storm is kind of special to me for several reasons. And there are quite a few great poems in this this collection, believe me --it's virtually impossible to have another Mockingbird..., Dangling..., and Last Night... since I'm pretty much working with the "leftovers," but for some reason many strong poems were filed in the past and never used.

Last edited:
I'm not big on intros, especially looong intros. All the intros I've written so far were pretty much done on request.

This is good news. I ordered the Essential collection for the library I work at and, even in this poetry-desolate part of California, it is circulating rather well.

Although I like the intros we've gotten so far may I suggest a word or two from Ms. Linda? Is that a reasonable request?

Is there another thread on this topic?
Well, I was being quite sarcastic, but I'm not sure that there's a single thread that's specific to this very topic. This concept (or lack of concept as a possibility) has been mentioned as being rather absurd in a thread or two over the years (consider Martin's posthumous edits as evidence for said absurdity). Sorry, I don't know which threads, but they'd likely be in the All Things Bukowski and/or Books, magazines, publications archives.

Well, I was being quite sarcastic, but I'm not sure that there's a single thread that's specific to this very topic. This concept (or lack of concept as a possibility) has been mentioned as being rather absurd in a thread or two over the years (consider Martin's posthumous edits as evidence for said absurdity). Sorry, I don't know which threads, but they'd likely be in the All Things Bukowski and/or Books, magazines, publications archives.

Thanks. I asked because I didn't want to send the thread sideways, but...

This has to be in the top 3 Bukowski mythes of all time -- perpetuated by Buk himself, Martin, Richmond, etc. I remember reading it in Buk's obit and took great comfort in it. But it seems like the vast majority of the post humus poems were published in one magazine or another between 1957 and 1994. The same stack of poems Martin saw at De Longpre seems to be the same stack poems that were waiting to be published after his death.

StormfortheLiving.jpg

I have a copy of this photo. I assumed it was taken on one of the European trips. Anyone know anything about it?

Yeah, when I figured out I could do the squiggly line thing on my new phone I realized that maybe the book cover could be a bit more creative. But I do like the photo of Buk a lot. Is there an un-doctored one available?

That's how I walk around in life. It's like an umbrella of line-y-ness. You can't see it in the pic, but unfortunately it doesn't keep away the cloud perpetually overhead. ;)

Tangerine Press has recently released a broadside of poem for Dante, which will be appearing in this final (?) upcoming collection as something of a promo for the book. It's a strong poem and if you are familiar with Tangerine Press, you can guess the quality. Deluxe portfolios are sold out, but the broadside and art by Christoph Mueller (rather Crumb-esque if I do say) are available. Not a shameless plug since I've nothing to do with it; more of a recommendation for y'all.

Just got the galleys for Storm:

storm2.jpg

storm1.jpg

There are some minor errors here and there, but they were all fixed after the galleys were printed.

I just finished writing a little something about this book vs the changes in the posthumous collections. Hopefully, it will be online before the book comes out next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back