Nick Cave last night (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
Went to see Nick Cave last night with my partner. She's the one who really digs him, especially from the good old The Bad Seed days -she's no into The Birthday Party stuff, though.

Well, the 2 hour show was great, but not brilliant. He put a lot of energy into it and danced his clownish dance. He was funny at times and kept pointing at a "big hairy" girl from the audience. But no chills down my spine, if you know what I mean.

Warren Fucking Ellis can distort a guitar fine ;)

Oh, he played that song where he calls Bukowski a "jerk". That made me smile.

She's the one who really digs him, especially from the good old The Bad Seed days

i too like the old things more.
when he was living in Berlin at the end of the 80s, totally gone on H and singing so incredible slow and depressed. some of the later albums ar still great too, though.

Birthday Party's Where it's at

How could anyone be into The Bad Seeds more than The Birthday Party? It was with that band that Cave truly made his contribution to rock and roll.

Speaking of old Aussie bands, did anyone besides me catch Radio Birdman when they came thru the U.S. a while back. Amazing that a band dormant for that many years could come back so strong ...

I like it all, (Birthday Party, Bad Seeds, Grinderman, Boys Next Door) some albums more than others, of course.
the new one is good, really growing on me.
never seen him live, though.

Yeah, The Birthday Party is Amazing and also The Boys Next Door. It is interesting to watch Nick change in the 30 years since3 his first album. It has matured much, but the raw, early stuff was excellent.

I'm thinking about putting the song "shivers" on and setting it to REPEAT....

Bill

He played a couple of punk songs from the early days and I looked around and no one seemed to know them. But when he played "Into My Arms" and "Oh, Deanna" everybody was singing along.

"Stagger Lee", played during the second encore, was pretty cool.

We've discussed that this is his movie, haven't we?

The Proposition

2449035767_28a794f625_o.jpg

Very well done. I enjoyed the piss out of it.

i read 'and the ass saw the angel' a few years ago; it's one of the most unsettling and disturbing books i've come across. i really liked it, even though it made me feel physically ill at some points.

Yeah, it'll do that to you.

It is very dark and disturbing.

If you listen to the song "Deep in the Woods" by the Birthday Party, it gives you a feel for what the book is like. I always thought that was the soundtrack to the book.

Bill

Speaking of old Aussie bands, did anyone besides me catch Radio Birdman when they came thru the U.S. a while back. Amazing that a band dormant for that many years could come back so strong ...
Well, they probably saw the original Stooges touring and though, "Aw, shit, now we have to go tour..." since they took all their cues from the Stooges back in the 70's. ;)

The first band I was in that ever played a real show (on a stage as opposed to in a garage) played almost all Radio Birdman and Stooges songs. Well, the first show was all Stooges songs. We didn't bother with any originals or filler. But by the second show, less than a month later, we had added Radio Birdman's Non-stop Girls, Do the Pop, Aloha Steve and Danno and New Race. That was in the summer of 1979.

Those songs were fast, now that I think of it. They might have been the fastest band on earth until Bad Brains came along.

We didn't listen to the Birthday Party. But they must have played some shows with Radio Birdman...same country, same era...I don't know. That's the only link I can come up with to keep this post on topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back