Nick Cave (1 Viewer)

Telling from his shirt this should be the right one. Oh baby, thanks! Now I know which one it is. Unfortunately, none of the 3 links on that site work for me. At least I know, what I'm looking for now.

edit:
Yeah, THAT's the one! (You can stream it on the site you've given first.)

edit 2:
It looks like the download is working now. Let's see what comes up after it's finished.

I don't like Nick Cave...the affectation in everything about him (his looks, voice, lyrics) is overwhelming for me and diminishes my enjoyment of the music. It just feels like I'm listening to some sort of method actor.

That being said, Tender Prey is a fucking amazing album. Cos when you make music THAT raw it doesn't matter how affected you are.

But on the other albums...it bothers me.

I don't like Nick Cave...the affectation in everything about him (his looks, voice, lyrics) is overwhelming for me and diminishes my enjoyment of the music. It just feels like I'm listening to some sort of method actor.
I don't think it's an affectation at all. I think he really is the way he seems on screen, in music, in interviews, live. Call it what you want- odd, affected, "trying too hard". Nah. I call it original, honest, the real deal. He may or may not be a likeable person but I respect his work and he seems to be a fascinating dude. He has lead an interesting life.

I don't think it's an affectation at all. I think he really is the way he seems on screen, in music, in interviews, live. Call it what you want- odd, affected, "trying too hard". Nah. I call it original, honest, the real deal.

I totally agree. Tom Waits, on the other hand, has frustrated the hell out of me after Get Behind the Mule (great effort). It seems all an act and not a very good one.

Yeah, I suspect that Nick Cave is a difficult person to deal with. I have never had a chance to meet him, but if I did, it would probably be best to pass. I don't think that anything that he does is an act. Furthermore, I have always felt that he writes for himself. He does not write songs in hopes of them being a hit, or even hoping that they are liked by his audience. They are what he wants them to be. I LOVE most of his albums. A few I do not get. Murder Ballads I always hated because it is a THEME. To me, does not work well. That being said, many people love it. I have also never cared for Grinderman.

The new album is AMAZING. A tough listen [...]
At this moment, I'm hearing it the first time and am inside song no 4 now.
So far -

The feeling of it reminds me a lot of his very depressing times in the late 80s ("Your Funeral My Trial", "Tender Prey"), which always touched me the most of his work; while musically it's filled with his later style ("Boatmans Call", "No More Shall We Part").

This is a match.

Last edited:
Damn! that is one fucking important album!
I will even buy it in physical form. (is there a special edition?)
I wish I had it here around at the moment with a booklet and lyrics and photographs and artwork that covers all the feeling.
Damn shit is this a Great album!
The previous one ('Push') had been fantastic - no need to make it look small!
But THIS ONE is so - DEEP and DOWN and SLOW and DARK.
Or maybe I'm just going sentimental.

[This video is unavailable.]

I don't think there is a deluxe edition. My physical copy does not have a lyric sheet.

It's a great album.

My ex turned me onto Nick Cave while she was on a 9 month work assignment in Hong Kong. She'd send me CDs, that included many of the ballads. I think we interpreted them 180 degrees in the opposite direction. (Into My Arms, as an example). A year after she came back, we decided to split and she told me she could never listen to Nick Cave again. I still love to put it on late at night when everyone is asleep.

My ex turned me onto Nick Cave ....
My way to Nick Cave also came through a girl I was with.
(I did know Cave before, but never cared much)
That was in 1996 and she was so much my Love!
It was one horror when she left. I still think of her, I'll never forget her, I'll never let her go.

roni-sandie-umarmt-01b.jpg

I only ever heard The Birthday Party and The Good Son. I can't listen to the Birthday Party much anymore but I love that Bad Seeds album, especially the song "Lucy." I'm getting chills right now as I listen to "Foi Na Cruz." This album always takes me back to some bittersweet times...

does not have a lyric sheet
that, for me, is a reason to Not buy it.

But I've just gathered the lyrics from the web and formatted a sorta sheet outa it (sorry it isn't US-letter, but Din-a-4).
- attached.

Attachments

• Nick Cave Skeleton Tree Lyrics.pdf
    324.4 KB · Views: 1,173
Been thinking for days and nights [while listening], why the new album was reminding me so much of his late-80s-work, even though the music is quite different.

Got it now:
The new album smells like H. (much more than Any of Cave's work since the late 80s.)
Either he's back into it, or he's feeling like it.

Last edited:
You may have something there. I Hope that is not the case. Heroin is amazing for art, but awful for living and being happy. Some artists are nothing without drugs. Cave is great either way and if the fans and critics are right, he is better clean.

been listening to this dark crystal not For 12 nights but Since 12 nights now.
And in those nights, where I did it - I spent HOURS listening to it! (I mean literally.)

Still waiting for a Special-edition with bonus-tracks and lyrics.
Didn't see a reason to buy if the booklet not even has the lyrics.

Anybody seen the accompanying documentary-movie? I haven't. Is it any good?

Just yesterday night a friend told me, that Nick Cave was on tour and that he even had a couple of concerts in Germany.
Too bad I was too late (but then, that's what my life is).
But fortunately, there's youtube these days. Looks like Cave found a totally decent and admirable way to bring this album (in parts) on stage (I hadn't thought it would be possible, but he did it).

p.s.:
L.A. has also been graced by this dark-slow-unspectacular [! - and thus spectacular] show-off of inner grief.
Like so:

Last edited:
I once saw a tall, skinny man in a long black leather trench coat, jet black hair, confidently stride into London's Victoria train station from a limo (black). I only saw him from the back, and side, and I thought, Jesus, was that Nick Cave?

It was probably just some random goth.

Have wanted to see these guys live but tickets are usually out of my price range and/or sold out. One that always seems to escape me.

It's not a "project", but only a mood, that's why I didn't post it in a thread like "what I'm working on".

There's this NICK CAVE graphic novel, made by a German artist and approved by Nick Cave.
The drawing in this book is extremely well, but I am definitely not a fan of how the story is told. But that's not my point here.

The drawings in the book are all bw
(well, some have one tone of grey in them)
And recently, while drinking - and, yes, listening to his music - I felt like adding a little colour.

So that's what I did, using oil-crayons.
Attached is my first result.
Meanwhile I've worked on a couple more pics in the book.

NCave-Kleist-Roni_s81_a.jpg

sure I'm aware that one might consider the straight, plain, bw-drawings much stronger. This isn't meant to "improof" the original, but just to express myself on the shoulders of someone else. Cheap maybe. But sometimes neccessary.

The reviews of the current tour & shows is stellar. Should b great. Every time he has come to Philly i'm either broke or he sells out.

So lets admit he may have or press the gas on a messianic complex....bottom line his show was a lot of fun and had an element of danger....een if it was choreographed. He is one of the best front men going. You would be hard pressed to name one better IMO. The music was tight and he was 100 % invested into each number. I dropped 70 to see him and would do the same next week if he returned.. I had fun. Thats enough.

Another note...Warren Ellis is from a different planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back