• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

PBA and the Linda King effect... (1 Viewer)

Interesting:

Signed.jpg

I wonder if Pamela Wood would sign a Linda King book.

Last edited:
There's also a Bukowski book in that auction which are signed by both Linda King, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Neeli Cherkovski and A.D. Winans (lot no. 32). One thing is Linda King but how come the three other persons also signed the book?

There is a dealer who specializes in mountaineering books just outside of Denver that does the same thing. And I just don't understand it. Borderline diminishes what you have, in my meaningless opinion. If it involves provenance, I'm down. If the sig is from somebody who wrote a foreword, afterword, etc., I'm still down.

But having Burroughs sign a Kerouac book just because he was in the book? I'm not down.

at least ferlinghetti is the publisher of the two city lights ones. still, it conveys a certain desperation in the bukowski industry that those around him feel that it's appropriate for them to sign his books as if they are his proxies. and it surprises me that an auction house like PBA would buy into that, rather than recognizing - like any used bookstore at which you tried to trade in those books for store credit would - that those signatures add no value whatsoever.

Being surprised by anything an auction house does is kind of like being surprised that Jeffrey Dahmer tried to knock you out and eat your brain when you went over to his place to watch a movie.

This is quite a thread! A certain surreal quality that has my addled head spinning. I'll just mention this: Some booksellers will push the idea of an "association" copy. Example: I once owned a book of Luigi Pirandello plays. Signed by Pirandello, but also by actress Anna Mae Wong. The only common thread was that one was a playwright and the other an actress. I saw the book on the shelf for $8. That seemed cheap. I bought it and then sold it to another book dealer for around $50. He was more interested in the Anna Mae Wong association than the author's signature. Go figure.

$48 for Linda King's signature? That's pretty funny. The seller(s) must getting loopy from lack of oxygen or something.

Carol found a baseball the other night with Robert Duvall's signature on it, which reminded me that at one time I must have had a dozen American League baseballs signed by people like Gary Oldman, Demi Moore, Tom Cruise, Drew Barrymore, Michael Douglas, Aerosmith, Melanie Griffith, etc. I thought I'd sold them all, but I guess I missed one.

Anyway, when I saw that Duvall ball, for a moment I thought, "Jesus, maybe I was just like those numbskulls who get Linda King to sign everything in sight and then try to sell it..." Then I said, "Nah," had a piece of cheese on a cracker and forgot about it. Until now.

wow. does the expression "riding coattails" mean anything to her?

Last edited:
Carol found a baseball the other night with Robert Duvall's signature on it, which reminded me that at one time I must have had a dozen American League baseballs signed by people like Gary Oldman, Demi Moore, Tom Cruise, Drew Barrymore, Michael Douglas, Aerosmith, Melanie Griffith, etc. I thought I'd sold them all, but I guess I missed one.

Maybe Linda King would also sign your ball. :)

I've had a couple of copies from Linda's 2009 edition of Me and Your Sometimes Love Poems.

She shells them for $19.95 on eBay and it is well worth the price. It's half Bukowski poems and most of his drawings. You should definitely shell out the $19.95 for it.

That being said, it's supposed to be an edition of 500, 100 of which are signed by Linda.

After seeing the other stuff out there, I wonder if the "100" signed editions is the actual number...

But I defintely recommend buying it for your collection. Shit, it's not even that badly produced.

Buy it and keep her in Naugahyde heaven...

I don't remember exactly, but I don't believe that I got much more than $100 for any of them.

If I had done them as an "investment" expecting to cash in on them one day, I would have been surprised and disappointed. Okay, maybe not surprised. They were baseballs after all. But they weren't investments, they were just some things taking up space and I wasn't attached to them, so I didn't really care what they sold for. I probably would have given them away if someone was at the house admiring them or getting excited about them.

Having said that, I like that the Robert Duvall ball survived somehow. That no one cared enough to buy it. So right now it's up on the mantle, next to a big Tibor Jankay painting and our dog Buddy (in an urn).
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back