Pleasures of the Damned cover (1 Viewer)

Here's what The Pleasures of the Damned will probably look like. The image will be on the boards and the text on a jacket overlay. I think they'll use a translucent jacket for the desired affect (effect?). Let me be the first to register my approval. I like it a lot.
PleasuresOfTheDamned.jpg

Yeah, the cover design is classy, I dig it, but why use the 'quote' that never was?

...and Nymark, it's effect

Yeah, the cover design is classy, I dig it, but why use the 'quote' that never was?

Hi,
I thought about that too. I think that only maybe the Buk and Genet scholars would know that this was probably never said. I'm not sure how Genet's quote could even help Bukowski any more as people that would find Bukowski would generally not care much that Genet dug him. It seems that Buk's words and following speaks for itself...

Bill

Three Thumbs Up

Amazing what a good cover can do. Makes him appear
to be a serious and established writer"”which he is"”
instead of the clip art covers that end up trivializing the
contents. I like the Genet quote, the Buk photo (which
I've not seen until now), and the choice of classy fonts.
Makes me want to read what this man Bukowski has
to say!

Last edited by a moderator:

i was thinking the same thing the first time i saw the cover. i was like..."wait, isn't that a false statement?"

if it was seriously never said, couldn't they get in a bit of trouble for putting that on the cover?

Could, but probably wont.
Should, but probably wont.

Really, we're at the stage where Bukowski does not need a fake endorsement from a writer such as Genet. And the people who are publishing this book (Harper?) should look into matters like this before just going ahead and including such a 'quote'.

Hell, they could use this, my (real) quote;

"The best poet ever." - Some Australian guy

P.S. Could this be the 100-200 pages of truly immortal poetry that I was referring to?
https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?t=1211

First time poster here. Is this collection a good buy? I have a bunch of books - mostly stories and novels, few poems, letters - nothing harcover or collectible. I like B's poems and I heard this is a fair selection. I want a range of periods so a collection seems best. Is this the best all-period one?

Thanks

It is a good collection to buy, if you do not have too many of the books already.

I'm a fanatic, so I had to have a copy.

Hopefully you'll get the book and realize that you have to read every poem. That is what happened to many of us.

It all starts somewhere and it looks like you have made a good start.

Welcome.

BIll

Juseph K, it is a good collection, but I would suggest starting with
0876851928.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

it collects poems from It Catches My Heart In Its Hands, Crucifix in a Deathhand, At Terror Street and Agony Way, as well as new poems written around 1972.
it's a great collection.

Thanks for your quick replies. I'll search out "Burning..." and go for "Pleasures..." if I can't get that. I tend to like his earlier poems so "Burning..." looks a winner - if I can get a copy.

JK

"Burning..." (1974) has been reprinted enough that everyone who wants one can easily find it. Ecco is still reprinting it, if you want a new one; Barnes & Noble or Borders probably carries it, or get it on-line from them. Otherwise, newer and older copies show up all the time on ebay. "Burning..." may be his best collection of poetry, and it's nice that it encompasses ~10 years of his stuff. "Dangling in the Tournefortia" (1981) is also excellent, and just about all, if not all, of his "standard" releases are still being printed by Ecco.

I want a range of periods so a collection seems best. Is this the best all-period one?

Betting on the Muse also spans a range of periods and has a lot going for it. I originally read it assuming all the poems were fairly new (it came out after Buk's death) thinking "wow, some of these poems really feel like an early poem. He could still do it up to the end!" Later I found out that there are many early poems mixed in there. It was fun getting to read an early poem like it was new! (Thanks to John Martin for that!) Wanna try this yourself? Then click here: https://bukowskiforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7;)

Question: what is the time span for the poems in Betting OTM?
Surely some Bukowski.net-scholar can give us the answer off the top of his head!

Also a plus for some of the short stories there.
And don't forget the nice cover photo...

except those 3 by City Lights. (soon to be 4)

Well sure, but I would think that you could find those fairly easily, and they may also still be in print from City Lights.

Question: what is the time span for the poems in Betting OTM?
Surely some Bukowski.net-scholar can give us the answer off the top of his head!

One thing that really bothers me is that the posthumous books don't tell us when the previously-uncollected poems were originally written. Of course, an educated reader can get some idea having read similar pieces in better-dated volumes, but how hard would that have been?

"The Roominghouse Madrigals" is another example. Dates, please?

I got my copy of Pleasures Of The Damned a couple days ago. It is a beauty of a book. And one HUGE fucker too! Very classy cover methinks. At the moment though, I don't recall what quote is on it. I know there is one, but in my memory, it's not the one pictured above. But, I drink a lot so my memory probably ain't memorying it right.

The Romminghouse Madrigals - Early selected poems 1946 - 1966.
Not very helpful, is it?
Dates would be great.
Buzzcat, yours would have a Times quote on it.

At the moment though, I don't recall what quote is on it. I know there is one, but in my memory, it's not the one pictured above.

Hell, I probably drink more than you, but you are correct, sir. As ROC mentions below, the original quote on the uncorrected proof is attributed to Jean Genet, but apparently/allegedly, Genet never uttered these words: "The Best Poet in America" (at least, that's the commonly-held thought).

So, the quote from "Time" was used. I agree with both, for what it's worth, although I prefer Genet's, proxy for me or not.

The Romminghouse Madrigals - Early selected poems 1946 - 1966.
Not very helpful, is it?
Dates would be great.
Buzzcat, yours would have a Times quote on it.

What I'd really like to know is which poems were written in the late 40s, just to distinguish them from those written in the late 50s/early 60s; just to mark those written before his somewhat nebulous "hiatus."

yeah, would be great to know dates for every one of his poems. (in most of his books are some much older poems - without mentioning the fact.) Would be really useful. --here we are back to my claim for a historic-critical edition.

I've always wanted dates on all the poems too.

I think that it is tough to date some of these poems. It seems that if you cannot date them all, dating just some would seem odd. I agree that as a Bukowski fanatic, I'd love it, but to the average reader, I'm not sure it matters. Also, some may have been written in the 60's and then revised by Buk and retyped on his computer, which was post 1992 (?) That would confuse the issue as a forensic researcher (like cirerita) swould have to spend a lot of time trying to find the earliest example of the poem.

When there are manuscript copies, you can often tell by the address at top and the typewriter used. Another way is to look at the earliest magazine appearance, but absent that, it would be very difficult, I think.

The manuscripts that are on this site helps as he dated them, but all of the manuscript copies are ot signed and dated.

This seems like dissertation quality work.

I could be wrong though.

Bill

I would be happy with just a year. (Year [revised])
But you are right Bill, the revisions would create mountains of work.

John Martin would have to be the man for the job, surely?

When I talked to Martin, I asked him about why the poems were not dated, and he said that he felt it was not important, and I guess he was right in a sense. The average reader is NOT interested in that. However, fans and forensic analysts love this kind of info.

Most poems -including uncollected and unpublished stuff- in my Bukowski project are dated and alphabetically and/or chronologically listed. All the stories ared dated and the first line from each story is quoted -including the almost 500 Notes of a Dirty Old Man columns.

That means that if someone wants to know when -and where- a given poem from The Roominghouse Madrigals was first published, they would just have to go to my biblio Index to find the answer. Of course, the real problem are those previously unpublished poems which make it to a posthumous collection. But I have double-checked so many manuscript poems, that I have been able to date many of those as well.

This is a monster, believe me :D

Not exactly. I have a list of all published poems -and most unpublished poems. If you go to my biblio Index, you'll see all the appearances of a given poem/story. The first one would be the earliest one.

The issue here is the difference between previously uncollected and unpublished material. The previously uncollected material is fairly easy to track down, but for the unpublished one you need to find the original manuscripts. For instance, I know that many of the previously unpublished poems which appeared on At Terror Street... are from 1964 because I was able to see the spiral notebook where Bukowski first scrawled them.

When I talked to Martin, I asked him about why the poems were not dated, and he said that he felt it was not important, and I guess he was right in a sense. The average reader is NOT interested in that. However, fans and forensic analysts love this kind of info.

Most poems -including uncollected and unpublished stuff- in my Bukowski project are dated and alphabetically and/or chronologically listed. All the stories ared dated and the first line from each story is quoted -including the almost 500 Notes of a Dirty Old Man columns.

That means that if someone wants to know when -and where- a given poem from The Roominghouse Madrigals was first published, they would just have to go to my biblio Index to find the answer. Of course, the real problem are those previously unpublished poems which make it to a posthumous collection. But I have double-checked so many manuscript poems, that I have been able to date many of those as well.

This is a monster, believe me :D

Fantastic, Abel. Please tell me that your thesis will be published in a volume hand-bound in boards by Earle Grey, with a red cloth backstrip, and numbered and signed by the author. :cool:

Seriously, this work is something I really need to have; no matter the price (well, within reason)!

As for John Martin, if he didn't think that the average reader cared about the dates, well, that's fine. But why in the hell did he produce such limited edition volumes in so many incarnations, knowing that they would only appeal to the collector? Wouldn't the dates appeal to them?

Sounds like laziness to me. That would have been one more brilliant thing to differentiate the signed, numbered and/or illustrated editions from the trade and paperbacks: dates in an index {freaking drool...}.

Now, that's a great idea, chronic! Such a book (or book series) would easily sell and make a handsome profit for the publisher (publishers, are you listening?)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that should be the next Bukowski book: The Complete Notes of a Dirty Old Man. I'd buy one.

Sorry to disappoint you, but most of the uncollected columns suck big time. Mediocre stuff at best. Keep in mind he wrote those columns non-stop from 1967 to early 1976, and there was a weekly deadline. He coulnd't keep it up ;)

... most of the uncollected columns suck big time. Mediocre stuff at best.

still I'd have one.
(Best would be to have them with the original layout. Facsimile. Most satisfying for collectors/scholars AND cheapest way for publishers.)

And hey, cire-Mastermind-rita:

I am looking forward to your piece like hell! My mouth is dripping and I'm pretty wet between my thighs as I type this.
You RULE, but you know this anyway.

Abel,
I take it that you have the book "Open Bukowski" that was published by Jamie Boran?

Has anyone heard from him lately? I think that he stopped collecting, maybe.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back