Portions From a Wine-Stained Notebook (2 Viewers)

Portions hardback sold out til Friday, 8/29

Good god you guys:

So, our advance shipment just sold out in two hours (the printers generally send an advance batch then the bulk of the order comes via slower shipping. So, we're getting another advance batch Friday; if you could hold off ordering til then, it'd be great.

Also, I don't think Amazon will have copies. The run is so small (1000 total) that we're probably going to sell them online through citylights.com. Sounds like they're going to disappear quick.

So sorry about that! The trials and tribulations of the publishing industry, I'm afraid. But hold onto your hats for Friday.

Garrett

If you use USPS to ship overseas (Europe), you can send up to four pounds in a Flat Rate envelope ($12). That should be enough for the book and some extra protection.

Who said that publishing this in hardback was a good idea?

The good folks at Bukowski.net, that's who!

Bill

p.s. Garrett - Any idea how many copies were in the advance shipment? Was it 10 or 100, or ? Just curious. I'd love for this to sell out quickly. It will make it easier for us to talk you fine folks into doing a deluxe leather bound edition in addition to the hardcover for the next book!

You get so alone...
soft cover, first ed.
The book will make a stop at Bill, who will look at the signature.
I don't want to get too excited but
I AM !...

Of course you're exited, it's your first signed first ed.! Congrats! :)
You Get So Alone... has some great poems in it, such as Bumming With Jane and How Is your Heart (which ends with the well known words: What matters most is how well you walk through the fire).

I too have that book as a soft cover, first ed. - from Ecco, that is...:p

Last edited by a moderator:
buyers inside Europe:

i am already talking with the people from City-Lights to get the books (also the HC) in my shop).

so, if you can wait a little you can get this one inside Europe for the shipping-cost of 3,- EUR.

D'oh! Too-oo-ooo late...

We are pleased to inform you that the following item has been sent out today:

Portions From a Wine-Stained Notebook
Uncollected Stories and Essays, 1944-1990
Hardcover - Qty 1

Now if the shipping label says $11.99 I'm going to be pissed off :mad:

sorry to hear.
i wasn't reading here yesterday.
maybe some haven't ordered already and can still order via buk-shop as soon as we get the books.

D'oh! Too-oo-ooo late...

Now if the shipping label says $11.99 I'm going to be pissed off :mad:

I won't exactly be happy either, since we paid $24 for shipping to Europe. That's a tad too much compared to Amazon who usually charges $12.44...

It pays to be quick around here. or maybe it cost to be quick. Christ, I get so confused....

You too? ;)

Just got my hardcover of this. Nice binding job and the cover art looks better than I expected based on the photos I've seen, or maybe I've just gotten used to the way it looks. I guess I need to get reading.

I'm glad to hear about the nice binding job and the cover art. It'll probably be a while before I receive my copy. How's the paper quality?

Thanks, chronic! That was my biggest worry. Now all that remains is for the mailman to show up here...

I got mine today too. The design and everything looks fine, but I'm a little disappointed with the condition. The book looks like it's been beat on the corners by a hammer.
For the shipping costs and all, I'd think they could've done a little better job packing it.

Oh well, the book's a little worn. So am I.

I got mine today too. The design and everything looks fine, but I'm a little disappointed with the condition. The book looks like it's been beat on the corners by a hammer.
For the shipping costs and all, I'd think they could've done a little better job packing it.

Oh well, the book's a little worn. So am I.

Jezuz! I certainly hope they make solid packages for European shipments! :eek:

How was it shipped? In a bubble wrap envelope? (I hope not!)

I wish. It was just an oversized envelope with some sort of insulation-looking fibers inside. Really messy and not very protective. A bubble wrapped envelope would've been better.

Hey don't feel bad, my wife put my brand new book in the trash. Now it has gum on the corner. I can still read the words.

Garrett;
If you are reading this.... Many of us are book collectors. To charge us $9 shipping on a book and then send it out on the cheap, causing damage will only make us want to return it for one that is not damaged. At $9, you could pay for a decent box, bubble wrap and send it USPS and still put a few dollars in your pocket.

I can tell you that if mine arrives in a sorry state, I will need to have another one sent. It is not to much to ask that a book arrives NOT damaged when it is sent out, especially from the publisher.

Also, if we were not collectors, we would buy paperbacks. Many of us bought hardbacks because we are collectors and Buk fans. A damaged book is still good to read, but not better than a paperback...

Bill

Hey don't feel bad, my wife put my brand new book in the trash. Now it has gum on the corner. I can still read the words.

My wife is always threatening to throw my Bukowski books in the trash (or out on the lawn) if I get out of line. I've wondered if she would carry through on that -- I guess she would if pushed too far.

My wife is always threatening to throw my Bukowski books in the trash (or out on the lawn) if I get out of line. I've wondered if she would carry through on that -- I guess she would if pushed too far.

I solved that problem easily. I remain a bachelor. :D

Yer not funnin' us are you? :eek:

Why the hell would she do that?
It was an accident, a mistake.

Exactly.

Gerard, couldn't you have just offered to sleep on the couch for whatever crime you committed?

Or was it just an accident? (Though I don't see how it could be)
It was an accident. We were driving on the 5 freeway at about our tenth hour and she put it in the wrong bag. She had been reading it to me while I was driving.
She did put Notes of a Dirty Old Man away in order to read some To Kill a Mockingbird instead.
Now I have the only copy of Tri Dent stained Notes of a Dirty Old Man.

Portions is back in stock at City Lights

Come get 'em--this is still an advance shipment as we wait for the bulk to arrive from the printers, so if you're dying for it, you should move on it.

Damaged copies of Portions

It seems a number of copies of Portions were damaged in transit due to packing issues, for which you have our humble apologies.

If you received a damaged copy of Portions, please send an email with your order number to [email protected]. They should be able to remedy the situation.

Again, our apologies--we want you all to be happy with this book!

Best,

Garrett Caples
Editor
City Lights Books

Garrett;
Many thanks. I'm still hoping that my copy arrives tomorrow and that it is in good shape. I'd love for you guys to sell all 1000 and make big bucks. Many of us support the small press BIG TIME and you are the most legendary of the small presses.

Best,
Bill

Thanks a lot, Garrett.

I emailed today and got a very quick response that they would rectify the situation and that an unblemished copy had been set aside for me. I really appreciate it, and I'm sure that everyone else will as well.

Got one ordered...glad to see City Lights go in for the hardcovers. Did everyone else get their e-mail notifications? (Cuz I didn't...boo hoo)

I didn't either, but I'm fairly certain my e-mail accounts already dump just about everything from people I don't know anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back