Post Office - fake inscription? (1 Viewer)

fake.jpg

You know, if that is fake it is a pretty good fake.

But a few things - the longhand writing, the "shit yeah," the manuscript style date, the brand new eBay user - ring false.

I say fake, but I also say one of the best fakes (signature-wise) I've seen (he lost it, for me, on the B in Bukowski, but the "Charles" is impeccable).

You don't often see inscriptions from Bukowski written in script so it's kind of hard to judge. The signature looks good (except for the 'B' as mjp said). I would be wary but can't honestly say that it's a fake.

Interesting. I'd say genuine, but agree with mjp's points of concern, the 'shit yeah' and the date especially.

iIt is a tough call. I can not say that it is fake, but would not touch it for 1/3 of the price. It could be authentic, but who the hell knows?

Anyone getting this book will have a book that will be very tough to sell in the future for anything close to what they paid for it based on doubts with experts.

Don't someone have samples of his handwriting we could compare to?

Last edited by a moderator:
But a few things - the longhand writing, the "shit yeah," the manuscript style date, the brand new eBay user - ring false.

Interesting. I'd say genuine, but agree with mjp's points of concern, the 'shit yeah' and the date especially.

Well, the date isn't an issue. That was pretty common practice for him in the early 70's. Also, the use of longhand for this timeframe seems appropriate.

Check out these inscriptions, the first one from Fire Station and the second one from The Days Run Away.

Fire Station inscription.jpg

The Days Run Away inscription.JPG

Notice the 'Y' in the first one vs. the Post Office inscription. Looks pretty close.

So after further review, I still think it's questionable, but I'm leaning toward legit. Something just doesn't feel right about it, though. Like Bill said, I wouldn't touch it.

Given the evidence, i lean towards legit too, but not enough to spend $1000 for a book that is still not worth that even if authentic.

Bill

i'd say that's a bukowski. whoever priced it is a retarded savant with dyslexia and severe clinical depression, and hungover with the munchies....

I compare the than, that and this, form the 3 letters, and it seems to me that they look real and hard to copy. Okay the B is a little weird but Bukowski must have been too, at times.

That could be a sign that it is fake. (because Buk didn't do that.)
But it could also be a sign, that it is legit. (because a forger wouldn't do that.)

I like the way your mind works roni.

It looks real enough to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back