Prince is dead... (1 Viewer)

what??? my friend just saw him a couple of weeks ago in toronto.

i don't believe it...

I always thought the 90 year old Prince would still be releasing 3 albums every year, and they'd be weird acoustic jazz or the sound of space rocks...I don't know. Something. Didn't see this one coming.

me either! he had such a "live forever" vibe.

or at least longer than me...

Same news just reported on the evening news here in Norway.
He was found in his home in Minnesota.
He was very popular in Scandinavia.
RIP.

Not completely shocking to me if only because he was in the news last week because of his health. His plane was forced to land in the Quad Cities area (a delightful cultural oasis on the border of Illinois/Iowa). He was treated for the flu and then was released shortly afterward. That story probably didn't get much coverage outside the Midwest.

At the time, a friend and I did a quick recall on his career and our favorite songs, shows etc.. For some reason, he stayed on my mind this week too. I'm not psychic and I don't think God was doing any "grief preparation therapy" on me. Maybe after the loss of Bowie, I just tend to look at longtime artistic heroes of mine with more appreciation and concern for them. The false alarm health stories get my attention now because I too am getting old and creaky.

By the way, has anyone checked on Westerberg lately? Is he eating well? Taking his vitamins?

Not completely shocking to me if only because he was in the news last week because of his health. His plane was forced to land in the Quad Cities area (a delightful cultural oasis on the border of Illinois/Iowa). He was treated for the flu and then was released shortly afterward. That story probably didn't get much coverage outside the Midwest.
Actually, it was well publicized on the Steve Hoffman music forums, and it seemed from what was posted and linked to that it was an initial scare but then nothing more than the flu. It's hard to say that his passing was related to this, but given the timing, it's hard to wonder how it could not be. Perhaps the flu morphed into pneumonia, but the timing seems too quick. Whenever a star musician dies, there's apt to be speculation regarding substance abuse, etc., but Prince always struck me as someone who really had his act together. He strikes me as someone who was extremely focused on his craft and not really the archetypal rock star type (from a partying perspective). I'm not a fan and many of you know that, but to lose such a big star and consummate musician at 57 is a tough pill to swallow. Then again, we've lost many in their 20s and 30s - sometimes because of lifestyle choices and sometimes because of air disasters. In any case, a big RIP is in order, and I don't usually pop in just to post RIP on these sorts of threads.

What a shock.Trish Keenan, singer with Broadcast died in 2011 due to pneumonia, secondary to H1N1 flu virus, so healthy adults aren't always low risk. Don't know what underlying health issues Prince had, but regardless of the cause of his death and there is plenty of speculation regards that.It's really sad news, way too young.

one of my all-time-favorites by him is the most beautiful melancholic 'Sometimes it Snows in April', which is kinda matching now, eh.

My wife is sad. She's gonna miss the guy. Fresh Prince was her favorite show. Don't forget to park your car sideways today. And bathe with doves. I did. All kidding aside, I can't believe Jimi Hendrix died!

It will be cool if they play his first appearance, Party Up. They haven't let that out of the vault very often.

mxLuJ5X.jpg

Came across this tonight, it's the earliest stub I have, From the Dirty Mind shows. "Sam's" is First Avenue before it became First Avenue.

princetic1.jpg

Funny, on the back is a plug for an upcoming U2 show, that would have been the tour for their first album. I was told the place was about a third full, so maybe 500 people.

princetic1a.jpg

A few months later Clapton was in Minnesota again for a slightly longer stay at Hazelden. Which he apparently enjoyed so much that he went back for a return visit five years later. ;)

Sadly, Prince was maybe only days (or less than a day) away from doing the same thing, but he didn't quite make it.

There were, I believe, about 30 of those. Four were made by the guy who conceived it with Prince, then 20 or 25 by someone else. I don't think any of Prince's "players" would wind up in an auction. Not yet, anyway. If this one was made by the original builder it would have been the one that was made and sent to Warner Brothers (that Prince never played).

But he wouldn't be the first really rich guy to buy a guitar that he thought (or was told) was an artist's "favorite," when it was no such thing.

Well, Tyka kind of took over everything, so what can you do. It was bound to become a museum anyway, she doesn't have to make up stories to justify it.

There were shows at Paisley Park all the time, and you can (could?) buy time in some of the studios, so it's not like the place was the bat cave or anything. If she wants us to believe he was going to open up his studios and offices to tour groups, she must think we're kind of stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back