Read books on your mobile phone (1 Viewer)

Johannes, there's seems to be an electronics reading revolution going on. Amazon.com happens to have a new wireless reading device called Kindle. One can have instant wireless access to a growing library of books, including those of Bukowski. I'm not into them as of yet because I have some resistance to anything but the real thing in the way of a book. Nevertheless, I have started to collect some legally published ebooks because I've run out of library space at home and I have enjoyed them greatly. (I can change the font and size to my personal preference to make it easy on the eyes.) Anyway, for those into the convenience, one no longer has to carry around the real thing in order to take in the words; the words can now come to the reader, for a price, of course. Good luck.

I wonder what kind of copy write laws
are being tortured here. . .

Probably every one existing.

Yes, I've read about Kindle. Somehow I doubt the comfort of reading from this thing, but I haven't tried it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kindle is very readable (not like a normal computer screen at all) and oddly intuitive and comfortable to use. The question is whether you want to spend $10 - $15 on a "book" that you may have to delete in a couple years to make room for another one.

Electronic storage is still far from perfect here in the 21st century, so there are a number of things that could make all your Kindle books "disappear" for ever and ever. So it seems more like a toy for people who don't mind dropping the dough, or for people who travel a lot. If you're on a plane a few times a week I can see how the thing could become indispensable very quickly. Though I doubt you'll ever be able to sell your first Kindle edition of Ham On Rye on eBay or ABE in 10 years.

As for reading a book on a phone, I'd rather read a book printed on wads of wet toilet paper.

The comfortable, affordable ebook-reader is the last link missing to damage the literature-industry like the music-industry has been. To some extent. It's really easy, as we all see, to get full-length-books and novels online and even easier to suck them from the net than mp3's. Copy and paste - they even eat very little space, even the big ones.

But it's hard to imagine literature without books and paper. As it was to imagine music without radio, LP's or CD's.

The literature-industry, like the music-industry, was already fucked up before MP3s, iPods & Kindles came around. I think they both need a shake-up. I'm all for it. The film-industry is also set for a fall.

As for literature without books & paper: maybe paper has dominated the scene too long. Before the printng press we had the spoken word where you had to know what you were talking about or the listeners could call your bluff. Too much reading weakens the language. We live in an age with so much printed tripe that we don't notice it any more. (Most of its not literature.) This new medium will hopefully produce something new and fresh, a new type of writing adapted to the new possibilities, and not intended to make money for the industry.

And MJP: you worry about storage: ok I understand, but think about societies before printing took hold. Nobody read or wrote. Nobody stored words except in memory. Things were organized there and then, by voice & memory. This must have produced another state of mind, more set on the moment, more aware of the word "hear" and now. I think this is where the wonder of Shakespeare comes from, on the verge of the traditional oral culture and the new medium of print. This is also why we, not as well-trained orally, have problems following Shakespeare's rich language.

When print took hold, the spoken word did not disappear. And printed books will live alongside the new electronic ink thats on its way in. Most likely your book-collection will quadroople in value, just like your LP-collection. ;)

In a way Bukowski.net is an example of the new possibilities at work, right now. The threads here are completely new kinds of texts chock full of Buk-info, free of charge, with a collective authorship (like folk-music) and not generating a cent for the "literature"-industry.

I'm all for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back