Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to seeing "The Brave" based on the Greg McDonald book, really powerful stuff. I'm going to see the Strangers With Candy movie today, I'm a big fan of the series. So what about you all. Anything good to recommend?

The Jesus is Magic movie was terrific. You have to buy the soundtrack. Wonder Showzen is great. I attended a conservatory with a girl who was interviewed by Trevor in a Beat Kids segment (she was one of the girls at the Miss Connecticut beauty pageant).

Hi,
If you like Terrence Howard, rent "Crash". Really an intense movie. Really....

Hustle and Flow was great, but Crash is MUCH better.

Bill

Crash better than Hustle!??!?
Gotta disagree there, Hustle is so unique, T.Howard is excellent, great story.
Last movie I saw was GARFIELD 2 (2 small kids), and guess what... It was HORRIBLE, really bad (not much of a surprise!). Also I saw Jackass2, which was not as good as the first. I know some have ZERO tolerance for Jackass. I think it's funny.

My life as a dog - is a great film....

very good atmosphere throughout, the story is a little vague and bizzare, but it has a kind of affirmative quality to it....look it out if you ever feel the need for a good film about childhood...

i saw the french movie irreversible a little while back, and it left an impression. the chronology is put in reverse, and to say what happens to the main players is pretty much irreversible, is something of an understatement! intrigued? it's disturbing, be warned!

Gaspar Noé shot Seul Contre Tous and Carne way before Irréversible, and I think they more shocking and disturbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire In The Sky The film based on Travis Walton's alien abduction. Such a great film, old but classic. Probably the best film based on alien abduction that I've ever seen.

p.s. he has a book entitled Fire In The Sky too.

I loved the documentary about the Genuine Nerd, but I can't remember the guy's name now. Actually, I think the film is called "Genuine Nerd". I am really a sucker for that kind of Doc. Like Crumb, or Brother's keeper.

Crash is one of the best movies I've seen lately.

Rented 'Crumb' to try to share with husband. Didn't work out so well, but I thought it might cheer him with the game being rained out and all.
Tomorrow I try 'Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy' on my toddler.

She would most likely prefer Crumb. Or Elmopalooza.

The Pawnbroker

ok - didn't get to see it all but what I did see certainly got me interested - had just finished the book (Brilliant) and lo and behold Film 4 have it on - was a bit late at night so I recorded it - dvd I used must have been faulty, gave up half way though

doubt Film 4 will have this on again, I know my local video place doesn't have it - anyone out there maybe have a copy or do me one, please message me

awful begging I know, just desperate to see it

cheers for any help.

Yeah, The Quiet American, with Michael Caine?a political thriller about the early US days in Vietnam, with many parallels and similarities to the current US involvement in you know where.

I saw irreversible in a multiplex (here in Spain) at 1 in the morning, after smoking some maria and it was A RIDE to say the least. I really dug that movie. Great editing, great camera work, sound mixing. Relentless is the word that comes to mind.

It's not a movie that will leave you indifferent. I actually read a 150 word review in "El Pais" which is a left-leaning national newspaper in Spain and it completely trashed it. Said it was one of the worst movies to ever compete in Cannes. After reading this I immediately wanted to see it, and I was not disappointed. It is brutal, and very well made. I know people that absolutely loathe it, and others who love it.

I haven't seen Noe's other work, but it sounds intriguing.

Here are two movies I saw recently which you might find intersting:

Cocksucker Blues - a doc. on the Rolling Stones by Robert Frank, which apparently is blocked by the Stones themselves from being projected - unless it is a private showing in a gallery/museum with the presence of Mr. Frank himself. The reasons, I surmise, are probably because it shows nudity and sexual acts between groupies and roadies, and lots of drug references. Jagger and Richards also come off as repellent drama queens. I love Robert Frank (have you seen his photo essay "the Americans"?). This movie is really hard to find, so good luck.

1+1 by Godard. A doc. about the counter cultural movement in the late sixties. Lots of footage of the Stones in the studio during the making of "Sympathy for the Devil". In fact, the American release of 1+1 changed the title to "Sympathy for the Devil" and I heard the producer actually altered the ending of that version of the film. He apparently put in the the full and final version of Sympathy for the Devil near the end of the film. THis obviously conveyed a different meaning than the one Godard intended. Godard, purportedly, didn't know this had happened, and after the screening he went up to the producer and punched him.

Check them both out, highly recommended.

pepe c said:
1+1 by Godard. A doc. about the counter cultural movement in the late sixties. Lots of footage of the Stones in the studio during the making of "Sympathy for the Devil". In fact, the American release of 1+1 changed the title to "Sympathy for the Devil" and I heard the producer actually altered the ending of that version of the film. He apparently put in the the full and final version of Sympathy for the Devil near the end of the film. THis obviously conveyed a different meaning than the one Godard intended. Godard, purportedly, didn't know this had happened, and after the screening he went up to the producer and punched him.

Check them both out, highly recommended.

i wasn't aware of the sympathy film, then the DVD was in a national broadsheet! i found the studio scenes fascinating. i've loved that song.

Just saw Asia Argento's "Scarlet Diva"...a semi-autobiographical film about her transition from newly formed mega-star of Italian cinema into the world of Hollywood...very disturbing and saddening***but she insists in the interview on the DVD that she doesn't want us tofeel sorry for her...so I don't...it's fantasticly done...especially when you consider that it's her first film as wrier/director/star...I could list a great many films that I've loved, but it may take too long...so I'll just jot a couple down here we go...Kissed, Star Trek VI, The Stendahl Syndrome, Water, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Waiting and the Three... Just kidding on that last one...it's a screen play I'm working on with a friend of mine...it's got a lot of work ahead of it but it's gonna be great whn it's finished...very art-house...can't wait...ok I'm getting all dreamy here so I'm gonna fuck off now...

Peace Love and all that jazz

"Populärmusik från Vittula"

- Two boys growing up in a little swedish/finish town during the 60`s. All you are supposed to do as a male is to hunt, drink, fuck and sit in the "sauna". Everything else is "knapsu" which means something like gay, whimpy.

The two guys stumble over "Rock'n`Roll Music" from the Beatles and decide to found the first Rock'n`Roll group of Vittula. Which, of course, is the most "knapsuest" thing you could do.

Funny, touching, cool. I can only recommend it.

i wasn't aware of the sympathy film, then the DVD was in a national broadsheet! i found the studio scenes fascinating. i've loved that song.

yeah the studio scenes were fascinating. they cut all the gloss out and showed how a classic song was conceived.

speaking of Finnish directors recently i saw a movie by Aki Kaurismaki called "I Hired a Contract Killer" about a depressed Frenchamn in England who hires a contract killer to kill himself (suicide basically). the frenchman is played by the hilarious Jean-Pierre Léaud (of 400 blows fame). Black oddball comedy.

Another recent movie, if you can find it is "Los Angeles Plays Itself" which is a doc. with philosophical musings about the way Los Angeles depicts itself or has been depicted in movies. Very entertaining and the movie snippets are very tastefully chosen. Obvious it is not...

whatever kevin smith says about tim burton.. burton is an absolute genius, and kev is nothing but a chump..

...little miss sunshine..

You can't argue that Kevin Smith doesn't at least get at the heart of mediocrity in American culture as it relates to the generation that was raised by the TV. Unless the work of Tim Burton is gospel to you and Kevin Smith is the slandering Anti-Christ.

I want to see Stranger Than Fiction. It looks funny in a "why are we here?" kind of way.

I caught the flu so took my mini DVD player to bed with me and watched 'Love and Death' and 'Sleeper' last night.
Fell asleep happy.

i just did a three night (re)viewing
of the lord of the rings trilogy
sooo enjoyed

The-Lord-Of-The-Rings---Trilogy-Poster-C12040157.jpeg

i nominate this work
as some of the greatest in film EVER

I saw a hysterical animated spoof of Lord of the Rings. At the end of the movie, Sam and Frodo are trapped on a precipice and at the last moment, whisked off to safety in the claws of an eagle. In the spoof, the movie opens with Sam and Frodo being carried in the eagle's claws. They fly over Mt. Doom (or whatever the fuck it's called) and Frodo drops the ring in. Sam says, "Can you imagine how long that would have taken if we tried to walk the whole way?!" Frodo laughs hysterically. End of move. Total time: 00:03.

The English Theater in Copenhagen is currently performing a spoof of "The Lord of the Rings" called "Bored of the Rings". Bilbo is named Dildo and the evil eye of Sauron has become a vagina etc. etc. :D

i just did a three night (re)viewing
of the lord of the rings trilogy
sooo enjoyed

i nominate this work
as some of the greatest in film EVER
I would rather jam rusty straight pins far into my soft, tender eyeballs than watch that tripe.

But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back