send in those poetry submissions- the birth of chance press (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the words of support, and thanks everyone who has pre-ordered so far - we appreciate your faith in us (and the writings of your fellow buk.net members, of course). when everything is good to go, and photos of the finished product have been posted (maybe), we'll post the official price and the paypal address.

a few of you that have pre-ordered will be getting contributor's copies anyway, so after i've posted the list of poets featured in the anthology, please email me again if you want an extra copy.

also: jordan has had a wonderful idea to make this first edition extra special, but we can't reveal what it is till we've confirmed that it's possible... stay tuned.

also: jordan has had a wonderful idea to make this first edition extra special, but we can't reveal what it is till we've confirmed that it's possible... stay tuned.

naked pics of jordan?

really? do you think that's appropriate?

I kid. I kid because I can't wait to see it. I mean the book, not naked pics of jordan. although I'm sure they're fine also.

one word: brazilian.

just putting that out there, not making any judgment calls.

i will make a special edition for you, hooch....

in no particular order:

gerard love
strangegirl
number6horse
roni
hoochmonkey
buzzcat
purplestickpin
justin grimbol
father luke
johannes
digney in burnaby
hosho
cunningham
jordan
harryC13
slimedog
justin.barrett
rekrab
mjp
rjwink

all of the poets will each feature one or more poems in the buk.net anthology and each should have received an email tonight confirming this - if your name is on this list and you didn't receive the email PLEASE EMAIL ME.

more details to be posted soon.

:) Congratulations for those who made it! :)

I can't wait for that book... Well, I usually can't wait for anything...

Fresco Frijoles!

J & J, could you pm me your email address please. I forwarded your email to myself at work today and your addy didn't come along with it.

Excited about those whose work I know, & really looking forward to seeing stuff from those I don't! Congrats everyone & kudos to J&J--it sounds like it'll be a fine project!

nope...

don't worry, you'll find out soon enough ;)
You're such a TEASE! ;)

Just a thought ... unless it's real obvious (i.e., this guy has 13 poems and the rest of them have one each), you might let the identity of Mr. Wonderful remain a mystery. From a marketing perspective, it would add a certain mystique to the book. From a poet's perspective, you wouldn't run the risk of dissing the others in the book by singling out one person for praise.

(Not that I feel dissed -- I'm just happy to be here!)

we want to do a broadside of a poem this person submitted to us, so that's why we're keeping quiet. also, i haven't actually emailed this person to tell them how impressed we were.

also: this was fairly early on. there were other poets who ended up impressing us a great deal too. and it's not necessarily that this writer is better than anyone else in the anthology, we were just... surprised...

interesting that assume it's a guy, harry...

and anyway, just because we think his stuff is great, doesn't mean anyone else will. it wouldn't be the first time!

just to clarify:

everyone who was accepted should have received an email from my bukowski email account (yahoo was being a jerk). this contains important info regarding the chapbook, so you need to contact me if you haven't received it.

most of you will have a received a second email this morning, confirming which poems we're publishing.

we want to do a broadside of a poem this person submitted to us, so that's why we're keeping quiet. also, i haven't actually emailed this person to tell them how impressed we were.

also: this was fairly early on. there were other poets who ended up impressing us a great deal too. and it's not necessarily that this writer is better than anyone else in the anthology, we were just... surprised...

interesting that assume it's a guy, harry...
Beautiful job of backpedaling, Justine! And you're right, of course, it COULD well be Ms. Wonderful. Although I think that I'm married to Ms. Wonderful. :)

I'm just foolin' with ya about the identity thing ... I think we're all VERY happy to be part of this. I for one am pleased to see my name in there, considfering some of the luminaries that lurk around bukowski.net. (If luminaries lurk, that is ...)

Thank you for the effort!

Turned a rainy day into a sunny one. Off to my niece's wedding this weekend. I'll drink a quiet toast to buk.net then.
cheers,
bp

yeah, happy to be in.
and looking forward to this wonderful piece of art you're putting together.

xoxo

okay, so about that special add-on we alluded to... we both really wanted to do a signed edition, but the thought of sending the books to 20 different people seemed too difficult. SO, instead, each book will have a tipped-in envelope containing 21 scraps of paper, each with the signature of an author published in the book. so, while the books themselves will be signed by justine, mjp, and I, they will also have the signatures of everyone else involved.

here is the price breakdown (prices include shipping charges):
$12 US
$15 International (including Canada)

we're accepting pre-orders, and keep in mind that there will only be around 30 copies left after contributors' copies... so please let us know soon if you want one.

after going through a preorder NIGHTMARE with justine on a limited edition art book (it's been 8 months now), i don't want to start taking money until the books are ready to ship. but, if you've already emailed about a preorder, you're all set, and we'll send you an email when we're ready to accept payment.

also- fyi- all the books will have the signature envelopes... it won't be a limited subset or whatever.

Honored to be included in the mix. I know it's going to be a beauty. Now what sort of paper do I choose for my signed slips? Devalued greenbacks after the bank bail out fails? Old business cards I still have from the 1980s (I never ordered new ones..have only used 3 of them in 20 years..I don't leave the office much). My dad's paycheck stubs from his 1960s machine shop job? Hummmm....

okay, i think i've emailed everyone to let them know which poems are in. let me know if you're on the above list and haven't heard from me.

hey everyone,

between contributor copies, forum member requests, extra contributor copies, and even one non-forum member request (thanks, buzzcat, for spreading the word) i think there's only about 12 or 13 pre-order spots left. so if you're interested, let us know now. we won't be taking payment till the books are done and ready for shipping, so reserving a book doesn't cost you anything.

new email address for pre-orders (we've given up on yahoo - it's such a piece of shit):

chance.press.books (at) gmail (dot) com

AVAILABILITY UPDATES

here's the most recent count:
20 contributor copies
16 extra contributor orders (2 of those are willing to bow out if there are non-contributors desperate for one)
11 non-contributor orders

=46 copies are gone!

in case you need that spelled out: there are only 4 copies left for pre-order

just can't tell you guys how much i/we appreciate your support. it means a lot, it really does. the money we make from this will go towards the next two projects (both buk.net members).

also: just want to reiterate that no one should send money yet. i haven't even begun making the books yet, i'm still practicing the stitching, figuring stuff out. and it's gonna be awhile before these are ready. i really REALLY don't want the pressure of all these pre-paid orders freaking me out.

and also: remember those GPP postcards i promised to send to some of you months and months ago? well, i brought them to the US with me, so i'm gonna post those out with the chapbooks to those of you who requested one. one day, when i'm a famous dead printer, those first postcard prints are going to be priceless. ;)

they're from a long time ago: january of this year, when i was first learning how to letterpress. they were a hypothetical 'business venture' (albeit one that was not intended to make money) for a class project. not sure how many i have to spare as there were quite a few requests from forum members. i'll slip one into your chapbook if there are spares.

they're nothing fancy, though: just some red letterpressed card with a tissue sheet overlaid using a brad.

this is the thread where you can see pics of them:

https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?p=31359#post31359

ALL GONE

please email us at chance.press.books (at) gmail (dot) com if you would like to pre-order a copy of a potential second edition, or put your name on the wait list (some pre-orders may fall through).

and also: remember those GPP postcards i promised to send to some of you months and months ago? well, i brought them to the US with me, so i'm gonna post those out with the chapbooks to those of you who requested one. one day, when i'm a famous dead printer, those first postcard prints are going to be priceless. ;)

Glad you remembered. Will be nice to have the first work of a soon to be famous Living printer ;)

Thanks Rubyred!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back