send in those poetry submissions- the birth of chance press (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL GONE

please email us at chance.press.books (at) gmail (dot) com if you would like to pre-order a copy of a potential second edition, or put your name on the wait list (some pre-orders may fall through).

Awesome, guys! The miracles never stop coming, here at buknet.

it depends on how many more people express interest... right now, it seems like we have the right amount, but if more people start writing in between now and when we start sewing the books, then yes, probably.

there is a chance that the second printing will be hand-sewn and feature a letterpress cover just like the first (only without the signature envelopes)... otherwise, it will just be printed and maybe stapled. we'll start thinking about the 2nd edition once the 1st is out the door...

just saw proofs of the cover pastedown from bill/bottle of smoke. we're awfully lucky to have a colleague in his league, i'll say that much right now.

we already have 3, possibly 4, projects lined up. so even if your novella is great it will be quite some time before we could do anything with it. BUT head over to the chance press page - www.chancepress.com - and read the submissions guidelines, and then if you still want to email it to us, go right ahead. it might be awhile before we can get back to you.

still waiting for a few signatures. i know we'll get them eventually from all but one contributor, and if that contributor doesn't send them in i won't include their submission: i'm not willing to publish a chapbook of 20 poets with only 19 signatures. so we can't go ahead with printing just yet.

sorry this is taking so long, but that's one of the big reasons why i didn't want to accept pre-payment.

hey can one of you lovely mods edit the email address in the opening post? make it chance.press.books (at) gmail (dot) com? thanks!

why don't you use an xxx[at]chancepress.com - adress?

because i think you have to pay for one of those things, and we haven't quite reached that stage yet... we're still using a wordpress blog as our website!

SOME RATHER BIGGISH SORT OF NEWS...

it looks like we are going to have a very special contributor in our anthology...
this person is somewhat known round these parts and has asked to be included in our little collection and how could we say no??

but it shall remain a secret! (at least for now)

it's not olaf, although if he had submitted he probably would be in this anthology (he does have some very good writing).

now, no more guessing out loud please! i don't want the surprise being ruined for anyone!

I wanted to say thanks to Rubyred, and to jordan
for doing this.

I'm jazzed for you guys, and I'm really eager to get my copy.

--
Happy for you both,
Father Luke

mine came today.
it's beautiful!

(kidding. it didn't come today, but I'm sure it will be beautiful.)

we're working on it - i promise! the formatting is done, so next we have to decide where/how to print it. i want to use copy paper, since i don't know that the price is high enough to recoup the printing cost if we use nice paper, but justine will probably make us use some really expensive nice stuff.

here's the thing:

after contributor copies, we'll be selling 30 copies at $12-15 a piece. it's not just the materials for the chapbook we need to cover, it's also the initial outlay on tools that we'd like to recoup and also fund our next project, then hopefully the next project will fund the following and so on and so forth. this probably won't be the case, but damn we're gonna try.

i WOULD really like to use high quality paper for this, since it's our baby, but we'll have to research prices first.

sorry this is going much slower than we speculated, but work etc. etc.

we'll get there eventually.

don't worry, babe, everyone knows that when a small press says "november release," they really mean april.

don't mind me. I have a jackass quotient and I've been falling waay behind in that lately. just trying to catch up.

proceed.

;)

I say go with the nice paper -- you'll only regret it if you use cheap paper. From someone who used cheap paper on too many of his own chapbooks. On one I even used recycled, second-hand paper out of the trash. Mostly it was clean but still, there's no such thing as a mint copy when you do that.

so i'm currently editing the poet bios - some are just a little long, or need punctuation/grammar fixes, just minor changes.

should i email you all with the final bios or not bother? i really can't be bothered doing this, but if you guys are concerned about the changes i've made then i will email you. let me know on this thread, or PM me, or email me at chance press.

mjp wrote like FIVE paragraphs about himself and i'm having to chop it waaay down.

and just to reiterate: rereading these poems... you guys really sent us your best stuff. i'm so happy this is our first project, and i'm even happier that i get the chance (do you see what i did there??) to be the first to publish some of you - i really believe in your talents, and i'm excited to be working with some of you in the near future (keep an eye on the CP website for details).

should i email you all with the final bios or not bother?

I must have missed where you wrote which
things would be used.

I'm not sure what of mine is being used.

It's not necessary to mail me any copy of my bio.
I trust you guys.

But could I see what mjp wrote?
I might want to use it next time.

--
Okay,
Father Luke

believe me, you don't want to know what he wrote.

and speaking of paper: anyone got any suggestions for the kind of paper we could use for the body of the chapbook? nice paper that's a step above copy paper but isn't pricey?

I don't need a copy of my bio either, should there be something wrong with it (which probably is, being a filthy non-mother-tongued-foreigner).

Looks great, thanks for the glance, jordan. Can't wait to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back