send in those poetry submissions- the birth of chance press (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the book is coming along... we'll probably have it printed this weekend and then we'll (well, justine will) start sewing them up.

in other news: if you have a poem about money, the economy, a job, etc., please submit it to us. make it a good one, one with something interesting to say, one that gets beyond "being poor sucks" or "this economy sucks" or "capitalism sucks." it's for a broadside project that we'll announce in greater detail once we select a poem to use.

just to show we ARE making progress, here are some photos:

gocco-printing the signature envelopes:

3221532331_6f3604edf3_o.png

3221532789_b73f16fa31_o.png

3221533205_9f7cfcc81a_o.png

sorting out signature piles:
3221538297_2da0eb5837_o.png

3221538367_ef0854eb64_o.png

envelopes stuffed with sigs:
3221538565_a2bc0a7bc0_o.png

just realized that justine posted all these pics from the living room while i was in here doing the same thing... so, here's a couple more:

some sheets with the envelope printing that we'll tip into the unsigned 2nd edition copies:

3222392258_184c5ddc1c_m.png

the geniuses behind chance press:

3221538841_8b82a0ba7c_m.png

Mine are only on top in one picture. What are you insinuating? That I paid to have mine pictured on top? That I sent a brand new $50 bill along with my signatures, in a separate envelope with "BRIBE" written on it? What would give you that idea?

yeah, and notice how his piece of paper is biggest?

typical.

of what, I'm not sure, but typical.

mjp's were the most entertaining, so we wanted photographic evidence. feel lucky you're getting one of these babies, as i was very tempted to keep them all myself.

actually, jordan's are the biggest. you'll see why when you get one of these.

you got that wrong. She didn't say "jordan's IS the biggest." It wasn't what she was referring to.
;-))

I fould it obvious to put mjps on top, since he obviously made each of them a special one. That's a bunch of dull work. I was bugged enough only by repeating my signature over and over again. (on the yellow paper btw.)

rubyjordan, you're doin' a really great job here!

I too can't wait to get mine.

Love!

It looks like a few people made unique little drawings, so it should be quite an interesting envelope. I wonder if that's ever been done before?

i hesitate to compare us to johnny brewton for fear of sounding horribly arrogant and self-aggrandizing, but it kind of reminds me of bagazine, only with much simpler contents. it definitely is a nice little extra, though, if i do say so myself. i don't know of anyone who has done this with an anthology, though. part of it is that you have to have contributors who are cool enough to bother to send you the envelope full of signatures, rather than a bunch of self-important poets who think they're too good for that shit or start hitting you up for money or more contributor's copies in exchange for their trouble. thank god we didn't have to deal with any of that.

also, and you can't really tell this in the pictures, but the text on the envelopes is SO COOL and a huge bonus/companion piece to all the poems. can't say who it's by or what it is - so please don't guess and ruin it! - but i'm super excited about it. plus, the printing went really well, and we were able to get the ink/printing to look just like an old, worn-out typewriter, which is exactly what we were going for.

I just googled Bagazine to see what it looked like and saw that David Barker is in the current issue.

Brewton has good taste.

i've been kind of dying to post a close-up pic of the sig envelope because it's just so cool, but it will be even cooler to see the finished product as a whole.

I just googled Bagazine to see what it looked like and saw that David Barker is in the current issue.

Brewton has good taste.

Thanks. I went retro for that, if it's the same latest issue that I'm thinking of (maybe he brought out another issue, and I'm in it also but didn't know about it, and... naw.) It was a handwritten short poem, in old looking brown ink, on pages torn from a 19th century book of Longfellow, small pages from a small book. That was fun but next time, if there is a next time, I'll do something more automated. A little retro goes a long way.

the book is coming along... we'll probably have it printed this weekend and then we'll (well, justine will) start sewing them up.

in other news: if you have a poem about money, the economy, a job, etc., please submit it to us. make it a good one, one with something interesting to say, one that gets beyond "being poor sucks" or "this economy sucks" or "capitalism sucks." it's for a broadside project that we'll announce in greater detail once we select a poem to use.
Is there a limit of one poem per person ? Or a deadline ?

nope, no poem limits and no deadlines yet - it's a project for a little bit further down the track.

Well I may have something along those lines because I'm constantly broke and bitching about it, and maybe I even have something to say besides "being broke sucks" (not too sure about that last point). I'll take a look at my grubby little notebooks and see if there's anything in there worth submitting. Sounds like an interesting project. Certainly timely. I just started a story about starvation, which may become a timely subject in short order, given the completely f***ed state of the world.

ok, so it turns out i missed a couple of people who requested first editions... i'm an idiot, i admit it. many of you contributors have ordered multiple extra copies so i would like to suggest that we limit first editions to two per person. this means that each contributor will receive one (1) first edition as their 'author payment copy' plus another first edition if they ordered an extra. all additional copies ordered, beyond the first two, will be second editions (different cardstock cover, same letterpress pastedown, no signature envelope, but will include a tipped-in replica of the story printed on the envelope).

if anyone has a problem with this, please email me at chance.press.books (at) gmail (dot) com and let me know. obviously, we already took your extra orders for firsts, so if you don't want second eds. i can't really refuse.

of course, this is all hypothetical, and depends entirely on these chapbooks ever getting made.

(it looks like that 'jokey' thing about "a november release date really means april!" isn't actually a joke after all...)

One author copy is fine with me. But I did request a second copy, pending availability of first editions; and I think that copy was re-allocated - which is great. So, please put me down for a second edition, which I will gladly pay for when the time comes.

I believe I have a 2nd copy requested...but don't think I've paid yet. So I'm easy--whatever you guys need...let me know. I'd like 2...but I'd also liek Chance Press to win some fans with this project...so I'll let one go if need be.

I ordered 2 additional copies beyond my contributor's copy, and it is perfectly OK by me if one, or both, of those were 2nd editions. I'm flexible.

Don't feel bad about the mix up. Keeping track of the orders, the copies, who gets what, who has paid and who hasn't, how many are left, etc. is one of the huge hidden chores of small press publishing. Even with my vast and superior organizational skills (well, at my job anyway if not at home) I'm challenged to keep track of the 25 or so orders so far for left over copies of Charles Bukowski Spit In My face. Maybe for my next publishing project I'll not have a limitation number. I'll just say: "there are a bunch of copies but not too many, not a lot really, and when they're gone, they're gone. Send me money and maybe you'll get what you paid for, maybe you won't. It's not my problem!" Yeah, that'll win me some friends, huh? Just kidding.

You know, I'm terrible at organization. I've been working with databases for years, but the kind I work with aren't terribly convenient to use. You can't carry them around on a USB keychain drive, for instance.

But lately I've started using something that smart people have been taking advantage of for years, but I would never touch due to a host of strange anti-Microsoft biases: Excel spreadsheets.

Oh my, those are magical organizational devices. Like little portable databases.

I'm getting a geek boner just thinking about it.

But really, for organizing relatively small lists and tasks, Excel is the tool. Like I said, you probably already know that. But I'm always late to the party.

you ARE late to the party! we have actually been using excel to keep track of all kinds of things for this: poet bios, addresses, signatures received, orders placed... but when i reread this thread i realised i had somehow never seen CRBsmile's request for a copy.

jordan is actually an excel whiz - he can get it to automatically do all kinds of fancy shit. i, on the other hand, can only manage to separate things into columns and add all the info manually.

kind of off topic, but this reminds of something else i've started using lately:

http://www.gubb.net

it's a 'list keeper'. great for people like me who love to make lists of anything and everything (eg. 'books i've read this year'; 'bookbinding materials needed'; 'immigration stuff') but never actually follow through with doing stuff.

I too believe I requested a second copy, but I will relinquish for the good of the universe and so forth. second version is fine and dandy...

thanks for the hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back