send in those poetry submissions- the birth of chance press (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GODDAMN IT, MJP, YOU & YER BIG MOUTH RUINING EVERYTHING

(i would never not wear a seatbelt, by the way, i'm very good like that)

alas, the first batch went to anyone who has paid but does not have a poem published in the book. we're still working every day on making these books, so the hope is that the rest will be ready to send out in a few weeks. we'd be faster if we also weren't dealing with the immigration process simultaneously.

for reference, i will be mad at myself if we ever do another book that involves gluing something (let alone four things). this step does more to slow us down than anything else, since you can only glue a few copies at a time (since we only have a limited number of enyclopedia-sized books to use as weights). so, once the book is bound up, it still requires a lot of time before it's really done.

i'm starting to feel bad that this has taken so obscenely long. i guess i should have known that taking on a project like this during the busiest time of my life and justine's life wouldn't just get done right away...

if you're not an american citizen, don't marry one - unless you love them without reserve and couldn't imagine your life without them in it. because that is the absolute minimum that makes this process of immigration worthwhile/bearable.

Although I can't wait to get my copies, I will be happy whenever they arrive. I'm in no hurry. And I believe it will all be very much worth the wait in the end. So you can send mine last and that would cool.

The only things glued together should be the newlyweds. Please take your time and enjoy your time while you can before all the kids start showing up.

yeah we mailed out about 20 last weekend, mostly to non-contributors.

things have been held up yet again - we have to make a last-minute trip out to chicago tomorrow a.m. due to a family emergency.

thanks so much, rick and ponder!

ponder:
the post office lady said to us - "'The Netherlands' is the same place as 'Netherlands', right?" :rolleyes:

Yeah it's the same place...
In the USA they always ask where I'm from.
Are you from Sweden? No, from the Netherlands.
They say: Oh, that's the same.
I respond: yeah, it's the same.
They are familiar with Holland...but then they
think that Holland=Amsterdam.

...we have to make a last-minute trip out to chicago tomorrow a.m. due to a family emergency.
I was sorry to read about that and I hope everything turns out okay. We'll keep the Sauvignon Blanc and beer cold until next time you can make it to Los Angeles.

the post office lady said to us - "'The Netherlands' is the same place as 'Netherlands', right?" :rolleyes:

But it's not the same as The Netherworld, right? I always daydreamed in school during the geography lessons. Boy was I shocked when we took a trip to New York City and it was in New England, of all places. I always pictured it as midway between Chicago and Boston. Good thing the airline knew the way there.

I was sorry to read about that and I hope everything turns out okay. We'll keep the Sauvignon Blanc and beer cold until next time you can make it to Los Angeles.

yeah, pretty bummed we didn't get to come down - was looking forward to trying to meet up with joan as well (i got a letter from her today; she says that her computer is still down and she wanted me to say hello to buk.net for her).

everything is okay, thankfully: our 9-month old niece had a kidney containing a large, malignant tumour removed last week, we flew back to chicago to await the prognosis with our family. she's got the best possible odds for someone with cancer - the tumour was completely contained and it was stage one, so all traces appear to be gone and she won't need chemo/radiation in the foreseeable future. she is a very tough little monkey.

we spent pretty much two solid days travelling and two whole days in a hospital room, so we're pretty tired now.

hank solo: when we were putting the books into the mailers, i told jordan not to forget that i needed to include the GPP postcards for some people, but i couldn't find the whole list. i think he put one in with yours, but it wasn't actually completed - i meant to secure the tissue overlay a bit better, since those brads are kind of shit.

Well that sounds good re the prognosis. 9 months old? That must be tough on your family. I hope things continue to go well.

And yes, the card was sent over too. Thanks for remembering! So this is the original NZ state? Cool :D.

my wife works in a children's hospital and I told her about your niece and the prognosis and she was very positive about the whole thing. she said everything pointed to a very happy future.

the words kids and cancer should never come up in the same sentence. it seems unfair somehow. glad things look good.

take your time sending the books out, there's no rush.

Hi J & J, glad to hear that all seems to be OK. There's nothing more harrowing than a child being sick ... especially something that serious.

Hearing the rave reviews from those who have received A Common Thread has me eagerly anticipating my copy (well, copies, actually, it sounded so good I ordered two extras!)

All my best, Harry

My postman thinks I'm nuts...

"Nothing that doesn't fit in my mailbox today?"

"Um, sir, sorry. Not today."

"YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!"

(ok, yeah, only in my atrophied mind)

!

Did I ever mention I live in a town at the end of all postal and delivery routes? It's a good thing to have patience. You guys are making me get a little anxious. It will be great.

Hey J&J, how's marital bliss? ...and all while publishing a book. That's strong, strong like bull.

i have another bunch to mail out tomorrow/saturday (jeff, yours is definitely in this batch, i made sure of it, but the others are just random).

GKL: married life really is bliss... but i felt that way with jordan before we tied the knot ("AWWWWWWWWWWW!!"). did i email you the flickr slideshow of our wedding day pics?

Justine: Maybe you should put a link up here to the slideshow. I'm a sucker for wedding pictures.

i put a few up on facebook, but the slideshow includes photos from our exchanging of vows which i feel is a bit to private to put up on a public forum like this, but i'm happy to email you both with the link, david and ponder. they're not professional photos - just taken by my bro-in-law on our camera, and some of them are pretty blurry.

Thanks Justine. You two ROCK!

the mailman just now dropped the book at my doorstep. Hell yeah!!! It's a beauty. Thank you so much Justine for putting mine in this batch.

i put a few up on facebook, but the slideshow includes photos from our exchanging of vows which i feel is a bit to private to put up on a public forum like this, but i'm happy to email you both with the link, david and ponder. they're not professional photos - just taken by my bro-in-law on our camera, and some of them are pretty blurry.

I gotta say you two look damned happy. Nice photos.

it was an amazing day!

okay, so we have signed up for twitter: this will work great as an RSS feed for quick updates on how current projects are going, or new projects we're beginning work on. i've also realised what a huge market it opens us up to - i mean, i typed 'chapbook' into the search engine and then went through picking people from that search result who might be interested in our press to follow.

you can find us at: www.twitter.com/chancepress

i think you can get the RSS feed without actually signing up for an account BUT signing up only takes a few seconds.

Justine, I signed up but what, pray tell, is an RSS feed? Guess having to ask that makes me hopelessly out of touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back