Shooter was a Buk fan???? (1 Viewer)

Rekrab

Usually wrong.
This is from Yahoo Answers:

"Have you seen Jared Loughner's list of favorite books?
Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.

He likes The Communist Manifesto,but also Animal Farm,We the Living,and Brave New World?"

PULP? As in Bukowski? That is odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a few Youtube videos made by him earlier, and you can tell that a few wires weren't properly connected. And of all the Buk books to like, he picked Pulp, that's odd in itself. And then you throw in The Wizard of Oz, and you have a jack of all trades.

Yeah, Stravrogin, I thought it strange that Catcher In The Rye wasn't on his list. It's a favorite of most assassins. I expected to see Salinger there, but Bukowski caught me by surprise. I guess it's just an indication that Buk is now a mainstream "great writer" that a lot of people read because they've heard the buzz. I thought the same thing, DirtyJersey13 -- Pulp is an odd choice, an uncharacteristic Bukowski work. Maybe it's the only Buk book the shooter had read, or perhaps it's unreal dreamlike mood appealed to him.

maybe it was the smoking gun on the cover...
A "Duh" moment for me... that is entirely possible.

I wonder if sales of the books he listed will spike? My wife works in a bookstore and I'll ask her if she notices any new demand for these titles.

Stephen King's "Richard Bachman" novel Rage has been a favorite of school shooters. It must be very dismaying to be a living author of one of these books that are adopted by the lunatic fringe.

Stephen King's "Richard Bachman" novel Rage has been a favorite of school shooters.

King pulled that title from publication after Columbine. It was not a bad book.

Sold my paperback first edition several years ago for a couple of hundred dollars.

Rage was reprinted along with two other Bachman titles in a thick paperback years ago, probably out of print now. I sold a first ed. Rage for $50 years ago -- bought it for 10 cents at a thrift store, back in the good old days before they looked up prices online.

I haven't heared from that guy before and just googled the case: Did you realize, that his middle name is 'LEE'!!!
Of all possible names, he must have the one!

"Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.

He likes The Communist Manifesto,but also Animal Farm,We the Living,and Brave New World?"

Seems more like a list of books he was supposed to read + a few he was warned to never read...& then he never read bothered to read any of them. Maybe he'll find the time to finish a few in prison...forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no pattern or answer here. He may as well have read "McCall's" magazine or "Boy's Life".
No literature can really reach the "unreachable", as cold as that may sound.
Crazy is crazy and this guy was unreachable.

The guy was schizo/paranoid anyway so it doesn't matter what he read.
Or who the author was. Or what genre - and I feel bad for the authors "connected" to this incident.

There's a photo of this guy with a shaved hair and bug eyes: he looks like a cross between Charles Manson and Aleister Crowley. Not a guy you want showing up at your event. He'll die in jail. They should limit him to only Ophra picks, on Kindle.

Plus, he fashioned himself as a literary snob, so it is no surprise that he would carefully select his books as one that showed how literary and thoughtful he was. That list is a hodge-podge of poseurism (is that a word?)

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back