Speaking of the devil ! (1 Viewer)

Black Swan

Abord the Yorikke!
Speaking of the novel "Women",

I gave my 72 year old brother the novel Women, as a gift for Christmas.
He came back after a week of ski and called me tonight.

So, I asked him: "So, did you read Bukowski? ".

His reply was that Bukowski had set his ass on fire.

I asked him if he had skied at all. "not much" was his reply. He had been saving the last 30 pages, not to fall out of the book too fast. So Bukowski's infectious magic has touched another man. :D

That was the first one I read, about a year ago. I couldn't afford to buy it so I read it at Borders incrementally. I should have been able to do it in one or two sittings but I'm marginally retarded. Also, the baristas are really hot and distracting. Not that they acknowledge me. Anyway, so it took me a few weeks.

Now I've read all the novels and I still think Women is the best.

I think I know what your brother meant about the last 30 pages: that you don't want it to end. It's really a great book.

There's a scene, I think it's in the Bukowski Tapes, where someone, maybe it's Schroeder but I don't remember, accuses him of, in that book, being abusive and manipulative where females are concerned. He says, "is that all you got out of it? Where do you get your concepts from?" And it's true: he goes throug ha lot of girls in that book but he never ever comes across as malicious or selfish, unless you are reading with one eye closed.

When he puts the cross on Tammy's door when she stops answering the phone, that says it all. Great scene.

That's great, Black Swan! To have two Buk nuts in one family is not bad at all. Well, maybe your brother is not a Buk nut yet but the prospects sure looks good. :)

There's a scene, I think it's in the Bukowski Tapes, where someone, maybe it's Schroeder but I don't remember, accuses him of, in that book, being abusive and manipulative where females are concerned. He says, "is that all you got out of it? Where do you get your concepts from?"

That's not from Schroeder's "Bukowski Tapes" but from a filmed interview by some Belgian, I believe. That particular clip is in the "Born Into This" documentary.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not from Schroeder's "Bukowski Tapes" but from a filmed interview by some Belgian, I believe. That particular clip is in the "Born Into This" documentary.
Oh yes, that's correct: I defer, sir, I defer.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Women" is one of my favorite Bukowski works. when I start to not get along with the wife it is my go to book. Henry Miller didn't know nothin about women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back