STOP PRESS: Microsoft does something useful! (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
I hate "Windows Live," it's a navigational nightmare, and it's run by Microsoft (enough said). But they are now offering 25GB of online storage space for free in something called SkyDrive. If you have a Windows Live account already, clicking the "Go To My SkyDrive" button at that link will take you right to the storage. If not, it sends you to a sign up.

I only mention this because a lot of people talk about making images or files available here but don't have a site to host them on. If you upload an image or other file to the MS thingie you can easily link to it here:

2009-04-28-busted-lock-003.jpg

This is not exactly revolutionary, but most of the other free online storage sites are slow or creaky or come with so many strings attached (ads, etc.), that using them is an exercise in masochism. This, as much as it pains me to praise MS, is a pretty painless system to use. So far.

Thanks for the tip m (can I call you m? those extra two letters are killer).

Of course, now that they've done this, the world will fold in on itself... enjoy the last day of the universe...

This is not exactly revolutionary, but most of the other free online storage sites are slow or creaky or come with so many strings attached (ads, etc.), that using them is an exercise in masochism. This, as much as it pains me to praise MS, is a pretty painless system to use. So far.

Not bad, but I wonder how long before Microsoft, having thrown out the bait, closes in for the kill -- with its ads, etc.

Meanwhile, make hay while it shines ...

Maybe it's because I use a Mac, but this:
snap.png
is all I see. When I tell it to open the image in a new window it tries to get me to sign-up for the service.

I just was able to make it work and I am on a Mac. Of course I signed up for the service. It's allowing me to upload. This could be useful. Of course I will probably forget about it and when I want to use it, in a year from now, I'll have to sign up again because i won't remember my secret name and my password. :)

You know, I take back what I said. Every time I look at this thread the image is missing. Fuck Microsoft.

There, that feels better.

By the way, it's really spelled Emmjayepeah - but the e, m, a, y, e, e, a and h are silent, though, so I dumb it down to a more easily pronounceable version.

I just was able to make it work and I am on a Mac. Of course I signed up for the service. It's allowing me to upload. This could be useful. Of course I will probably forget about it and when I want to use it, in a year from now, I'll have to sign up again because i won't remember my secret name and my password. :)

ha, I thought that only happened to me. It happens often, so maybe it only happens to me often.

In any event, I have found it very useful, so thanks mjp for the tip. It's pretty cool and since I've paid for the same exact service in years past, I'm a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back