technique in writing? (1 Viewer)

d gray

tried to do his best but could not
Founding member
i'm well experienced with technique in visual arts and know what it means re playing an instrument but have often wondered how the word applies to writing. mechanics are not a factor in good - or bad - writing so can anyone enlighten a non-writer as to what technique is in writing?

you have to be your words. if those words swim down your cerebel stem past carpels and metacarpels, cappilaries and cuticles, and drains out onto the page, then them words good, sha!
take these words lightly, i'm plastered

Fuck technique...in all creative ventures. If you've managed to accumulate some (skill) along the way, fine, it might serve you. If you have no idea about technique...so the fuck what. Make some noise, mush some paint, assemble, fasten, mix, concoct, CREATE. The things you like will inform you (as much as the things you hate), but its your job to do BETTER than your heros. And if anyone tells you you are doing it wrong...well, then THAT means you're donig it right.

On that note, let me direct you to this thread.

That's just winter-time cold and uncalled for. And I'm sure you didn't mean it to him, as Scribbler is a fucking kick-ass artist "” me, I dig his sculptures (I'll let CRB comment on his clown painting, knowing her affinity and fear of clowns: :eek:).

I've seen Scribbler's work online, and he kicks some fuckin serious booty. I could only imagine it in the real world. The man's sculpture fuckin rocks. And the dedication he puts into it must be world-class, damn, that's cool.

While his concept of art may not be agreeable to all (who fucking cares), it is to me. And I do it for a living, so I hold some sway. Getting paid for being laid, as Elton Johnny once said...or was that Bernie who wrote it?

And yeah, if people don't dig it don't mean it's wrong. As I've written before, breaking new ground in art (or writing, music, whatever, for that matter) is sometimes violent (not literally). Cause we all don't agree. Never will. And that's OK.

So break some rules, have some fun, find out what works for you. And pull-rip that cap off another cold one and venture forth. Or open a soda and do it. Fuck, who cares.

Just create. And find your own path. Wherever that takes you.

The worst thing you can do is sit on the sidelines and wait.

Anyone can be a fan in the stands.

It takes more balls to play it out in the field and lose.

But every now and then, perhaps you will win.

Pax,

homeless mind

Last edited by a moderator:
If I may disagree (at the risk of turning this into another "what is art" thread), I don't think everyone should create. The world is overflowing with SHIT at the moment, due to that very wrongheaded feel-good, touchy-feely, every-kid-gets-a-trophy idea.

Glue your macaroni to your paper plates at home, and put them on your mantle. Don't do anything else with them. Don't sell them on eBay, don't put them in a gallery I might have to go to in Los Angeles - just don't.

Don't put your poems in the "writing as a career" thread. Don't submit them to ZYGOTE IN MY COFFEE (on second thought, go ahead, that entire enterprise is a piece of shit already). And please, don't read them in public where I might have to hear them.

Everyone is not a star, despite what Boris Gardiner has sung to you. The world is not waiting for your genius. Because, sadly, you are not a genius.

You are average and unremarkable. But average is good in its own way. And most of us are unremarkable. Get comfortable with that. It will save you a lot of postage stamp and paint money.

Seriously.

If you simply must do something to distinguish yourself from your unremarkable peers, go start a band. Anyone can do that.

I don't know how I would survive without this forum.
It's cotton candy to my five-year-old brain.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

If I may disagree (at the risk of turning this into another "what is art" thread), I don't think everyone should create. The world is overflowing with SHIT

Agreed, but can't we leave politics out of the art discussion?

Glue your macaroni to your paper plates at home, and put them on your mantle. Don't do anything else with them.

You bastard, you've been to my gallery lately, and seen my latest? Now how am I going to get any PR after you broke the news here? DAD GUM!

Don't put your poems in the "writing as a career" thread. Don't submit them to ZYGOTE IN MY COFFEE (on second thought, go ahead, that entire enterprise is a piece of shit already). And please, don't read them in public where I might have to hear them.

Does that mean you won't lend me the microphone you promised me?

Everyone is not a star, despite what Boris Gardiner has sung to you. The world is not waiting for your genius. Because, sadly, you are not a genius.

Even if I have an Albert Einstein bad hair day? No slack?

You are average and unremarkable. But average is good in its own way. And most of us are unremarkable. Get comfortable with that. It will save you a lot of postage stamp and paint money.

I don't understand what paint money is, that like milk money?

If you simply must do something to distinguish yourself from your unremarkable peers, go start a band. Anyone can do that.

I wanna jam id wid you...

Pax

(after writing this, a bobble-head = homeless mind "” but kudos for writing it in a few short minutes, like JK, consider it my Tristessa)

Last edited by a moderator:
hahahahahahhhahahaha

thanks for the klarification, dude.

hahahahahahhahahahaaaha.

this fucking site rocks.

i feel sorry for those who are not amongst us....

and man, i've don't know if i've ever laughed harder than tonight. much fun, tx.

pax

i'm well experienced with technique in visual arts and know what it means re playing an instrument but have often wondered how the word applies to writing. mechanics are not a factor in good - or bad - writing so can anyone enlighten a non-writer as to what technique is in writing?

Well, you can sure see some interesting techniques in this thread. Notice the different voices that come from the individual posts. You see?;)

Don't submit them to ZYGOTE IN MY COFFEE (on second thought, go ahead, that entire enterprise is a piece of shit already).

Interesting.
Can you tell me why? i mmmean i sssaw the nname
Mr. Hyde there.

I would not submit to:
http://kendrasteinereditions.wordpress.com/

I often receive KSE chapbooks.

It's like they produce the chapbooks with a robot.
I read some fine chapbooks published by them
but also tons of trash.

Technique is when you cut the edges off of the peanut butter sandwich before you serve it to them, accompanied by a glass of chocolate milk. So easy to figure out...and you get to be a genius for it...everytime.
But choking-down your own gristly hunk of raw meat...that will require fortitude and will. Get that fucker down, with all its glorious protein, any damned way you can. And if per chance someone is amazed by that feat of engorging...you'll be fueled enough to REALLY let em have it.

No they just sit around wondering if their guitars are in tune and ultimately deciding why the fuck would it matter anyway? ;)
EXACTLY! Now you are a Zen master.

Don't submit them to ZYGOTE IN MY COFFEE (on second thought, go ahead, that entire enterprise is a piece of shit already).
Interesting. Can you tell me why?
Look at it. It's shit. Looks like shit made by a flock of shitbirds. If there was ever any good writing in it -- well, even if I blindfold you, you will hit the dartboard once in a while.

take these words lightly, i'm plastered

done

Fuck technique...in all creative ventures. If you've managed to accumulate some (skill) along the way, fine, it might serve you. If you have no idea about technique...so the fuck what. Make some noise, mush some paint, assemble, fasten, mix, concoct, CREATE. The things you like will inform you (as much as the things you hate), but its your job to do BETTER than your heros. And if anyone tells you you are doing it wrong...well, then THAT means you're donig it right.

holy platitudinous pontifications batman!

On that note, let me direct you to this thread.

that's is a whole different kettle of fish GK - you can debate that forever and never get a definitive answer, which was probably the whole point of the thread.

basically i was wondering what constitutes technique in writing cause in painting or playing an instrument there's alot of manual training involved but with writing it doesn't matter how fast or good you type or how fancy your handwriting is it's all coming from the brain.
maybe the question is as simple and dull to a writer as it would be if i were asked it about painting so forget it.

Technique is when you cut the edges off of the peanut butter sandwich before you serve it to them, accompanied by a glass of chocolate milk. So easy to figure out...and you get to be a genius for it...everytime.
But choking-down your own gristly hunk of raw meat...that will require fortitude and will. Get that fucker down, with all its glorious protein, any damned way you can. And if per chance someone is amazed by that feat of engorging...you'll be fueled enough to REALLY let em have it.

And the winner of the Buk.net Contortionist Contest is......scribbler !!!

</>cheap joke>

Thank you all so much...would you believe that I never win anything. Nope, always had to fight and scratch and claw and...well, thanks (pumping trophy overhead); oooh, this things heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back