The David Bowie Thread

Sure, we've mentioned Bowie now and then before, but as far as I see, we don't have a thread especially devoted to him.

I'll take the occation of his NEW SONG out now to start with it:

'Where are we now?'

[This video is unavailable.]

The song's about his 'Berlin Years'.
(In case someone isn't familiar with it: He's lived in Berlin in the mid 70s and made 3 albums there together with Brian Eno.)

And it's awful. :DD

Well, I like the vocal, but the production sounds very wishy-washy to me. Tony Visconti too. Tsk!

I have to say I was underwhelmed, also. but I'll always give Bowie a second chance to whelm.

and only 10 years in the waiting i heard...

anyways, let's start at the beginning -

Gawd this is shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shit shit shit
I borrowed Best of Bowie from library last week-He should be made to listen to his early stuff to remind him when he didn't suck.........and while we are at it stick Rod Stewart in the next room with the same instructions.
I will never get these last 4 minutes back!!

Well, it's impossible to remain exciting and relevant in pop music once you're past a certain age and acquire a certain amount of wealth, isn't it. Name the last new Rolling Stones song that made you say, "wow!"

It's quite unlike other forms of music, where the older you get the better your music can become. Rock/pop favors the young and hungry.

I just finished a book about the disintegration of The Clash (which is basically just the transcript of a documentary film), and that was the primary thing that broke them up. Trying to remain relevant and vital after they started making money. They couldn't, not as The Clash anyway, and rather than riding the gravy train and becoming a wealthy and comfortable parody of themselves, they split up and did other things.

Bowie did a good job remaining relevant for a long time. Much longer than most.

I like it.
Sure, it's not the hungry outcry from a 'supposed-to-show-his-creativity'-20-yearold. It's a melancholic piece by an old (and mature) man.

Reminds me of some others of his late songs, like 'Thursday's Child' from 'Hours' or on his album 'Heathen', songs like 'Slip Away', 'The Angels have gone', 'Everyone says Hi'.

I'd rather see a melancholic old man than one who's trying to show us the colorful 'paradise-bird'. Now, THAT would look sad!

(remark: Bukowskis late poetry, say starting from 'You get so alone' was more retrospective than his earlier 'hungry' poems of the 60s. Still I like them. Don't you?)

well there's the difference; Heathen was meloncholy but good. the above song is melancholy but not so good. it has nothing to do with what type of song it is, it all has to do with whether it works for the listener. i have no problem with Bowie being a different artist than he was 20 uears ago. christ, Bowie changed who he was every 20 minutes, I expect that from him. and while i'm all for melancholy and late-career musings (see Leonard Cohen's last album) that Bowie track left me cold. but i'll give the album a shot.

Doom and Gloom
not WOW but wow
this was bad-but like HM I too will listen to album-but thank god (or GOD) for free downloads.
Good thing about Bowie is the next song could be amazing-I blame Germany now if the subject matter was Jamaica or Canada!!!!

... just found a very puristic but still moving version of 'Life on Mars'
(No need to take a peek if you aren't into the later Bowie).

youtube.com/watch?v=_kPDJQBtHaY

That's funny -- my eyelashes looked just like that after a couple months of LATISSE® use.

I had to throw that shit away...

Untitled-1.jpg

On a related note, it must be good to be David Bowie. You can just pick up the phone and get Gary Oldman and Marion Cotillard (or Tilda Swinton) to be in your video.

"Gary? It's David. What are you doing on Thursday?"

As so very often, this video isn't available at youtube-germany due to copyright-fights with the GEMA.

Does anybody have it and will share?

DB is 65 and had a heart attack some years ago so he's not Alladin Sane or ZS anymore and so fucking what? Two words: under pressure. OF course his new music sucks-but it's. Still better than Tin Machine.

Using the fecal output of a beloved canine as a comparison point to dismiss anothers opinion is unoriginal and a bit insensitive.So go suck donkey balls you old bitter man. However I do congratulate you for possessing a turd free yard. Long live Rob Van Winkle!

It's always funny to me the way people use the word bitter to characterize anyone whose opinions differ from theirs. If you have the audacity to disagree your disdain must naturally be bitterness.

Really now, Internet tropes are unoriginal and a bit insensitive. Let's behave like ladies and gentlemen, shall we? Comport yourselves with decency and humility. Make Jesus and David Bowie proud.

It's always funny to me the way people use the word bitter to characterize anyone whose opinions differ from theirs. If you have the audacity to disagree your disdain must naturally be bitterness.

Really now, Internet tropes are unoriginal and a bit insensitive. Let's behave like ladies and gentlemen, shall we? Comport yourselves with decency and humility. Make Jesus and David Bowie proud.
I am of course, chagrined. I must exercise my right to disagree in a more mature fashion.
Now if you would kindly excuse me, I have to take a shit on purple stickpins lawn.

Using the fecal output of a beloved canine as a comparison point to dismiss anothers opinion is unoriginal and a bit insensitive.

he's not dismissing the opinion he's dismissing the song. i think.

ps - never say "tin machine" around here again - just when i'd forgotten that piece of shite.

Funny this thread should pop up now, I was just looking at some pictures of Bowie and Cher about five minutes ago...

110.jpg

53.jpg

i hear ya. i just love hearing songs played live before everyone knows they're proven classics...

Yeah, it's tough to sing and do interviews when all of the pollen in the air and your hay fever is making your nose run and making you all twitchy and jittery. Poor bastard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back