The David Bowie Thread (1 Viewer)

My gray Monday just got a little grayer. Sad to hear this. He was modest about his musical gifts and saw them as just one facet of his artistry. True enough but it's hard to imagine arena/glam rock, disco or club/dance pop without his input. And what a visual stylist too. He was one of the first to embrace video, along with Queen. R.I.P.

I loved a lot of Bowie. His top 20 were, a part of and still bring me back to, certain parts-good parts of my youth. That's enough for me. I owned 2 Mick Ronson albums (I think there were only 2) because of Bowie. I can still recall seeing him Don Kirshner's "in Concert' on TV with Ronson.
People die-thats the way it goes-but leaving a legacy-this legacy is a life in music well played.
Watch or just listen to a few of these I'm sure they'll make you smile and think the same-well played sir, well played.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...160111/tv-on-the-radio-province-2006-20160111

I suppose we are all under the influence of Bowie and have sat in our rooms as teenagers, listened and been entranced. Didn't matter what tribe you belonged to :) rocker, mod, punk, new romantic, gay, confused (gay and confused) or none of the above. I can remember at school, even the straightest, hardest boys who weren't that much into music as they were the boxing club, liked Bowie; because he was cool. There was a dark edge to him that made him dangerous, even in spandex.He challenged stereotypes, without ever becoming one himself, unlike a lot of his peers.

I've talked about this subject before here on the forum, so I won't go on and on. Back when I was 14 or so, I looked to the weirdos as a guide on how to lead an interesting life.

Bowie was my Weirdo-in-Chief.

And like very few other bands, Bowie was a constant with me from 14 to my now rapidly advancing age. He always will be. I never got bored or will get bored of the music. The good parts, anyway....

I have to say that I'm really surprised by the reaction to Bowie's death. I knew there would be a lot of talk about him, but I didn't expect to see the outpouring of grief that seems to be coming from every corner. Everyone's got something to say about how brilliant he was and how important he was to them. I didn't really see that a month ago, or get that impression, you know, just walking around in the world. I don't personally know anyone who's mentioned his name or his music in many years. Not counting this thread, of course. I don't say that to denigrate him, just to explain why I'm surprised by the response to his death.

It reminds me of December 1980, only we didn't have an Internet to grieve on back then. Well, the super nerds did, but not us. Lennon's death was sudden and senseless, and, you know, he was a BEATLE, but if we're being honest (which he and Jesus would want us to be), he was not at the top of his game or exactly relevant to most of the kids when he died. But people don't mourn artists for what they've done lately, they mourn them for the parts they remember and hold dear. Which is exactly as it should be, of course.

But man, you could just feel the sorrow in the air for a few days there when Lennon was murdered. I mean, everyone was just tipped over sideways. People you wouldn't have expected to be upset. Just everyone. Or it seemed like it, anyway. Times being what they are, I doubt the mourning for Bowie will go on quite as long, but the effect he had on people certainly seems to be right up there with Lennon. That's undeniable right now.

Here's what the our present can do.
The youtube is from a pretty good Canadian talking head, We call him Strombo.
The video sucks-but what is interesting is that there is also a link to Weiland on Howard Stern where Howard nails the interview. I mean nails it. He gets SW to talk about the record biz drugs and SW being raped as a kid. I found all of this just because of a twitter link!?

The word viral is overused but the ability to leverage, morph, share and re imagine anothers thoughts almost instantly may explain why there is so much Bowie content. I also think that since most of us here are music fans we click more (like I did today) on subjects that matter more to us.

The Stern interview where SW mentions Bowie is one of the best jobs by an interviewer I have ever seen-its masterful and seems heart felt. Who knew?Bottom lline for me. Favourite Bowie song-everybody has at least 1.

But man, you could just feel the sorrow in the air for a few days there when Lennon was murdered. I mean, everyone was just tipped over sideways. People you wouldn't have expected to be upset. Just everyone. Or it seemed like it, anyway. Times being what they are, I doubt the mourning for Bowie will go on quite as long, but the effect he had on people certainly seems to be right up there with Lennon. That's undeniable right now.

I'd say less to do with the times and more to do with the manner of death. Cancer isn't so dramatic an assassin as a nut-job with a handgun.

Woke up to the radio news 6 a.m. Monday with the lead story being Bowie. Of course it's the national Canadian Bowie Corporation so all the art/lit students behind the mikes across Canada are in mourning. But this seems to be a continuation of Lemmy passing (again a story on the national news for a day) and even the drummer for The Specials got a mention when he died. Probably that Scott W. guy as well earlier on (sorry, I had to look his name up -- STPs didn't grab my attention when they were big basically because I wasn't trying to listen to new/old stuff). A local big band leader got a lot of news time when he died New Year's Eve. But that meant he missed his 80th NYE gig in a row. He was a local legend.

As far a Bowie, he had the hit (Space Oddity) when I was in high s'cool. Two years later, when I was in London, it was a hit again. I had bought some of the catalogue re-issued because of the hit. "Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud"? "God Knows I'm Good"? Okay, cheap shots. Alladin Sane had a couple moments but his career and my tastes went in different directions. Over the last year I tried to listen to Low, Heroes and whatever again. Nothing. So I don't understand the concept of Bowie's so-called "genius", etc. But I don't run the media so I've learned to shut up (most of the time) with my opinions.

Everyone's got something to say about how brilliant he was and how important he was to them.
Bowie was for the 70s what the Beatles were for the 60s: A singular explosion of innovations that influenced everything that came after (in a way, of course, that most of the people who came after didn't realize).

I remember clearly being more into Dylan when Space Oddity came out. But I liked it a lot. It had a flavour that was almost chemical, something a bit weird and undeniably cool.
In 84, the son of a friend was staying with me in Vancouver and was totally into Let's Dance. I was surprised that an eighteen year old kid liked Bowie so much.
Bowie had style, always had style. That set him apart from trends. He was creative.

Dinah Shore, David Bowie and Iggy Pop (who she calls "Jimmy," so they must have been pals).

[Video was pulled.]

Last edited:
Over the last year I tried to listen to Low, Heroes and whatever again. Nothing.
strange.
'Warszawa', 'Subterraneans' and 'Sense of Doubt' from these two albums are working perfect for me in a repeat-loop for 2 hours when deeply depressed sitting motionless in a dark room with only the occational lights of cars from the outside shining in.

During the latest episode of his BBC Radio 6 program “Iggy Confidential,” Iggy Pop spent two hours paying tribute to his late friend, David Bowie. He played songs from across Bowie’s discography. “The way I chose them was from memory,” he said of the playlist. “I took out a piece of paper and a pen and remembered what I liked at different times.” As he played different songs, Iggy discussed his memories of Bowie. Listen to the entire thing here.

Before he played the Station to Station single “Wild Is the Wind,” Iggy painted a picture of the scene at the time:

This was recorded at Cherokee Studios, which was just a very typical, good old solid rock'n'roll studio owned by some guy who was connected to some guy who always had a mountain of drugs. And there were people with hair too long for their bodies coming and going in weird cars. And strange girlfriends.

Was watching this recently, the song really sounds like "All the Madmen" from Bowie's 1970 album The Man Who Sold the World, I think.

First track of the album Width of a Circle (Glam rock starts there for me). Video from a few years later.

Read this yesterday, from Rolling Stone 1974, couldn't help a giggle at some of it:
[...Burroughs: Have you ever met Warhol?
Bowie: Yes, about two years ago I was invited up to The Factory. We got in the lift and went up and when it opened there was a brick wall in front of us...]
[...Burroughs: I don't think that there is any person there. It's a very alien thing, completely and totally unemotional. He's really a science-fiction character. He's got a strange green color.
Bowie: That's what struck me. He's the wrong color, this man is the wrong color to be a human being...]

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beat-godfather-meets-glitter-mainman-19740228
bowiebill1.jpg

That's ironic for those two to comment on someone's color. They both have done more than a few drugs and drink that have contributed to more than a little discoloration....

I know! the whole piece has a cosy, slightly ladies who lunch feel about it, but those two calling Warhol strange and a science fiction character is hilarious, imagine sitting across from the three of them, there isn't a 'normal' one between them:D (I would love it really).

Last edited:
I've just listened to an hour-long radio program which was about Bowie's time in West Berlin 1976-78. Bowie, with short haircut and mustache, lived in an old apartment building under his real name David Jones - together with Iggy Pop who used to empty Bowie's fridge. During his time in Berlin B. recorded the albums "Low" and "Heroes". Later he said: "I've never felt freer than I did in Berlin."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back