The Days Runaway.... (1 Viewer)

Gerard K H Love

Appreciate your friends
I am in the middle of reading The Days Runaway Like Wild Horses over the Hills and I've noticed Bukowski mentions his age in several of the poems. Is it just me or has he done that in any other work besides the title of Septagenarian Stew?

I seem to recall him mentioning that he's getting famous in his fifties several times in Love is a Dog From Hell... but I may just be crazy. I think I remember it because I read the book a year or so before I read any biographical info so I was as surprised as he was... Heh.

Poem For My 43rd Birthday appears in:
South And West vol. 2 no. 2 - pg. 19 - 1963
All's Normal Here - 1985
The Roominghouse Madrigals - pg. 30 - 1988

Poem For My 43rd Birthday Here (probably same as above) appears in:
The Wormwood Review Vol. 3 No. 4 Issue 12 - pg. 19 - 1963

Birthday Party appears in:
Septaugenarian Stew - pg. 269 - 1990

birthday poem appears in:
New York Quarterly no. 42 - 1990

Happy Birthday appears in:
The Last Night of the Earth Poems - pg. 23 - 1992

Poem for My 71st Birthday appears in:
Bone Palace Ballet - pg. 296 - 1997
ONTHEBUS no. 14 - 1997

poem for my 70th birthday appears in:
Slouching Toward Nirvana - pg. 256 - 2005

Thank you to mjp and his very capable research team for their precise work. I noticed in The Days Runaway.... he mentioned his age moreso than other poetry collections. It was as if he was surprised to be getting up towards 50.

So far I have read only two of the books above and I'm nearly through with The Days...

It was my thirtieth year to heaven
Woke to my hearing from harbour and neighbour wood
And the mussel pooled and the heron
Priested shore
The morning beckon
With water praying and call of seagull and rook
And the knock of sailing boats on the net webbed wall
Myself to set foot
That second
In the still sleeping town and set forth. . .

right father.

and guess what? i first heared the name of that guy from our master Buk:
'South of No North' p.129ff.

another artist some of us owe to Him. (at least I do)

So many books...where the hell do I start?

My friend, Banjo Randy, asked me once if I'd ever
read all the authors Bukowski had mentioned.

Actually I hadn't. But it would be a great drinking
game to take a drink every time Buk writes about an author.

But then, what drinking game ISN'T great? :) Yeah, Dylan T was my hero before I discovered Bukowski. I had almost forgotten "Poem in October," so thanks for that memory, Father. Now I'm going to have to look up "Fern Hill," "A Refusal to Mourn ..." and all those other greats.

the force that through the green fuse drives the flower

OK< now that we're all getting nostalgic, let's see how much I can remember of
The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Drives my green age
And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
My youth is bent by the same wintry fever...

And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
How at my...
But the fallen blood shall calm her sores....
And time has ticked a heaven round the stars

Dylan was, is very cool. Buk I think sort of liked him but thought him "too romantic..":rolleyes:
And in the drinking department, I always think: Dylan Thomas, John Berryman, Buk....[and others of course....]
I had all of Thomas' records--the old Caedmon LP's and oh yes the lines are coming back...
"Though I sang in my chains like the sea...":)

If you need an excuse to drink, I recommend
watching Deadwood, and taking a drink anytime
someone says cock sucker.

Is that one word or two?

Cocksucker.

Whoops.
Take a drink. . .

I now guide you gently back into . . .
So many books...where the hell do I start?

Or just read this forum and take a drink everytime someone changes their avatar.

hats on hats off. Bow tie no bow tie. hic!

I need to get that Deadwood. I hear all good.

Deadwood will ultimately leave you unfulfilled because they did not finish the story. It ends abruptly and without warning.

It's still tasty, and a prime example of what great, character-driven episodic TV storytelling can be, but disappointing in the long run.

I've been watching it every week night at 10pm local time for the past couple of weeks...it holds up so well that I will be extremely depressed again when it ends and I know they fucked us by ending it to go to John From Cincinnati.

Since that show was immediately cancelled dare we hope that they might go ahead and do one more season some day?

Wants me to tell him something pretty. . .

Since that show was immediately cancelled dare we hope that they might go ahead and do one more season some day?

Expectations are disappointments waiting to
happen. With that in mind, hope away.
It never will happen. Never.

I know that I am alone in this, but I enjoyed the
way Deadwood ended. Maybe this is because I
never followed it on television. I haven't had a
television in nearly thirty years. Not bragging or
advocating, just relating a fact.

When I watched Deadwood, I rented it. I watched
all three seasons at once. I never knew there was
any controversy about how it ended.

I loved the ending.

The show came from nowhere.
It ended the same place.

A brief moment, stabbed on the end of a pen, and
set gently back down again.

Deadwood will have never jumped the shark.
Again, in my opinion. . .

Oh, I don't know...jesus, season 4 would have been a pisser. Glad you enjoyed the tease of the story ending in midair, but I didn't appreciate it. Especially knowing that they could have finished it - that there was a conclusion to the story they were telling - but just chose not to.

See, the creator had this genius idea for a show about surfers...

But then HBO did the same thing to Carnivale (dumped it right before a climactic final season), so maybe it was their decision. I don't know the details of why, just that there was a 4th season of Deadwood planned, but it was never shot.

I can see the meetings now at HBO -- "Let's make these great shows - grand, sweeping, classic GOOD vs. EVIL tales - but let's only tell 2/3 of them."

Yeah. Cool.

Oh, I don't know...jesus, season 4 would have been a pisser. Glad you enjoyed the tease of the story ending in midair, but I didn't appreciate it.
Yeah. Cool.

Deadwood ran away like wild horses over the hills. I still want to rent it and watch it.

yeah...the way I heard it (or read about it) the producers of Deadwood were waiting on HBO to OK funding for the final season...so they could retain all the actors and make sure they didn't take any other jobs. At the same time, the creator was planning the genius show about surfers. Was it HBO who waited too long...the creator getting gung ho about his new show...a combination of both. Who knows.

FL - I should know better than to hope.

It was my thirtieth year to heaven
Woke to my hearing from harbour and neighbour wood
And the mussel pooled and the heron
Priested shore
The morning beckon
With water praying and call of seagull and rook
And the knock of sailing boats on the net webbed wall
Myself to set foot
That second
In the still sleeping town and set forth. . .

Did I miss it or did no one say the title and what book this is from? I don't remember ever having read it. Or maybe that's why you guys were talking about Dylan Thomas (it reminds me of him). I really should read a thread thoroughly before posting. That's probably rule 1. Ignore this if it's been discussed. In my usual big assed hurry over morning coffee...

Yes David, it was Dylan Thomas. "Poem In October".

Enjoy your coffee ;)

sorry, i should have made that clear.
it was Way too much of an inside-joke. i thought, since father came up so fast, it was obious to everyone.

There's a Buk-story named 'This is what killed Dylan Thomas' in: 'South of No North' p.129ff.
It's where I heard of Thomas first.
And when we talked about poems, that name an age, this one immediately came to my mind.

But sure the connection wasn't That obvious.

rekrab: good job, you recognized the style and it reminded you of Thomas! respect, as they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back