The Pleasures of the Damned (3 Viewers)

is being released tomorrow. Screw all you lucky pricks who got an advanced copy. :-)

I've heard great things about this book.

-jeremy

The hardback is really beautiful. The dustjacket is part of the book and with the name and title on the semitransparent DJ, whle the actual front of the book is just a photo of Hank. Plus, it is massive.

Bill (lucky prick)

Thanks for the info. And why it's so attractive for you? Sorry for stupid questions but i really don't know what's the difference :)
I see that it have another quote on cover (advanced have Genet quote, cover on Amazon have Time quote). What about inside?

Looks like this definitely is the last of the poems from Ecco:

Edited by John Martin, the legendary publisher of Black Sparrow Press and a close friend of Bukowski's, The Pleasures of the Damned is a selection of the best works from Bukowski's long poetic career, including the last of his never-before-collected poems.

Thanks for the info. And why it's so attractive for you? Sorry for stupid questions but i really don't know what's the difference :)
I see that it have another quote on cover (advanced have Genet quote, cover on Amazon have Time quote). What about inside?

For collectors (some of whom aren't interested in advance copies at all) it's an early and relatively uncommon state of the title. You also get a chance to read it well before it is released to the public. Besides, I think that I paid $12 for my copy, which is a bargain no matter how you look at it.

Thanks for pointing out the switched quote on the cover... I hadn't noticed that.

I'm glad they ditched the (suspect) Genet quote.
Hard to believe there'll be no more books.
Maybe just the occasional small press item?

Looks like this definitely is the last of the poems from Ecco:

Edited by John Martin, the legendary publisher of Black Sparrow Press and a close friend of Bukowski's, The Pleasures of the Damned is a selection of the best works from Bukowski's long poetic career, including the last of his never-before-collected poems.

True, but predictably, the last page bio includes:

"In the years to come Ecco will publish additional volumes of uncollected poetry and letters."

Either this is a editorial miss (my guess), or there are at least some more letters waiting to see the light of day.

Question about that: Are the poems discussed in the "Unpublished and Uncollected" forum not part of the former BSP catalogue, or what? Why can't Ecco put them out?

Not so much an answer as a reiteration - there must be hundreds of uncollected poems...hundreds.

Why can't Ecco put them out?
They can. They don't want to. If you think about it, what's in it for them? They have the whole back catalog. A new release is a lot more work than a reprint.

HarperCollins/Ecco is also not the publisher to look to for a comprehensive or definitive collection/edition. But I'm sure that one day such a thing will be done. In 50 or 75 years. Ha.

Put bluntly, this sucks. If I worked for a publishing house, I would strive for completing something that could, if put out in such classy fashion as BSP, make money. Market Germany, France, England and the US. Same edition in all countries. Then again, I wouldn't be working for said publishing house for long.

Forget numbered/lettered editions, forget signatures, just put out one more collection of uncollected poetry in nice cloth-covered boards. Bang us straight up the old stove pipe for $40 or $50, with paper version at $20.

Oh, I fucking forgot that Capitalism can't handle preferences, just profits.

Much of what is unpublished at this time is considered to be unpublishable. Buk had a very, very high batting average, but sometimes did strike out.

Personally, I would rather see onle the best material get out there. Putting out poems that do not work for the sake of completion would dilute the work and allow the critics to point to the poems and say "See! See!"....

That would be sweet. Aaron???
Aaron Krumhansl is working on an updated bibliography covering the years 199-2007 and will address some corrections in his amazing book. Bottle of Smoke Press will be the publisher. Date is not yet announced, but it is in the works. We want to do it right with all of the things that would make a release like this special.

Bill

Personally, I would rather see only the best material get out there.

Personally, i would like to see every good poem, every bad poem, ink stain and flatulent utterance made - then I can exercise my own (spectacularly poor) discretion!

bospress.net said:
Aaron Krumhansl is working on an updated bibliography covering the years 199-2007 and will address some corrections in his amazing book.

199-2007?

I would like to see Buk poems from one thousand eight hundred and eight years ago...
Buk discussing Pope Zephyrinus succeeding Pope Victor I as the fifteenth pope... etc.
Dinosauria we would probably read differently...
Did they have horse racing back then?!

Oh fuck... I've got 1800 years worth of books to buy that I didn't know about!

sorry Bill... quite drunk.

There are hundreds -maybe a thousand?- of both uncollected/unpublished poems. Most likely, those will NOT be published anytime soon. In any case, I don't think Martin will edit them. Personally, I think most of them are second-rate Bukowski and they shouldn't be published as books -maybe they should be available, but not as books. However, someone is working on a comprehensive Bukowski bibliography (1940-2008) and there will be an index listing all uncollected/unpublished poems and stories ever written by Bukowski -at least, most of them, that is.

Quite possibly, a book of stories and essays/articles by Bukowski will see the light sometime next year, probably by Fall 2008.

bospress.net said:
Aaron Krumhansl is working on an updated bibliography covering the years 199-2007 and will address some corrections in his amazing book. Bottle of Smoke Press will be the publisher. Date is not yet announced, but it is in the works. We want to do it right with all of the things that would make a release like this special.
Congrats on getting that work, Bill. I'm sure it will be a nice piece.

However, someone is working on a comprehensive Bukowski bibliography (1940-2008) and there will be an index listing all uncollected/unpublished poems and stories ever written by Bukowski -at least, most of them, that is.
Whoever is compiling that bibliography including unpublished titles might want to wait until The Huntington Library finishes their inventory, since it should include a list/index of Bukowski's file copies of all of his work. Well, all of it for as long as he kept copies. Talk about a treasure trove.

I live 15 minutes away from the Huntington now (and work 5 minutes away), so I might be spending some time there...

Ha! No need to go to Huntington. Modern times allow you to get all the info you need without moving your lazy, fat ass :D

The compiler has already gone thru' ALL the Bukowski items at Huntington. Not many unpublished poems, though, just a handful. The donation is not complete as of yet -it seems that boxes are slowly arriving there- but I think that the real treasure trove -when it comes to unpublished stuff- is at UCSB and Tucson. The compiler has been there ;)

How could you - er, the mysterious compiler, I mean - have seen ALL the Bukowski items at the Huntington when I'm told they have not even finished inventory yet?! That compiler must be connected in ways that mere mortals can only imagine...

ok, I just talked to Mr. Debritto -the compiler- and here's his response (English is not his mother tongue, so his command of the language is somewhat limited):

The Bukowski materials in Huntington are not finished; more boxes arriving soon. I have go through actual [I think he means "current"] inventory, all what is been inventoried up to now. Future updates will be included as soon I get them from my contact there.

Broadside

who all got advanced copies?

I got one too..
A little late to reply, I know, but
I tend to step in the room after the proverbial elephant has been fully Acknowledged,
Discussed
and optioned for different re-hab directions.
:confused:

Whoa, I just mean
I got this uncorrected proof
after
the book came out.

Anyway, on the back of my copy
it states->
Limited Edition Broadside Available.

Anyone know anything about it?

I have one and it is a beauty. It is very large and limited to only 250 copies. Most went to Ecco insiders, I suspect. I'll try to take a picture and post it...

BIll

not letterpressed, but it measures about 7" wide by 19" tall!

democracy.jpg

Bill

I want it! NOW! Not one house, but 10,000 houses, NOW!

And I'll hang it up next to my "modest" signed BROADSIDES, and every so often I'll wipe off the accumulated cigar smoke residue from the frame pane (frame pane?) with a damp cloth.

I want one too. Funny they would choose a poem that had previously been issued as a broadside by a different publisher.

Joy In The Mullinax Manse

2 hardcover copies of PLEASURES OF THE DAMNED and 2 hardcover copies of LIVING ON LUCK have just arrived, straight from the arms of a postman!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

I'll have to make up a new list!

Just curious... why two copies of each?

And I'll hang it up next to my "modest" signed BROADSIDES, and every so often I'll wipe off the accumulated cigar smoke residue from the frame pane (frame pane?) with a damp cloth.

Are the signed broadsides also numbered? If they are, use uv coated glass... that red ink they use for numbering will disappear over time.

Limited Edition Broadside Available.

Now I gott'a wait 20 years before they show up on eBay at a cost just out of
my price range. But, man, are they nice to see.

Thanks for posting a shot of yours, Bill. That's as close as I'll ever come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back