THIS IS NOT A TEST (5 Viewers)

Well since you like it, here's another one:

8 Rock And Roll Memoir Reviews – THIS IS NOT A TEST #26

I love autobiographies and I love rock and roll in all its many hairy permutations, so what could be better than reviewing a stack of autobiographies written by musicians? That's a rhetorical question, I'm going to do it anyway. By chance I may also speak of Rachel Dolezal (again), Compton's Most Wanted, White Indians, survivalist cults, Saturday Night Live, jumping off a cliff after work and prophesies foretold.

http://thisisnotatest.com/8-rock-and-roll-memoir-reviews-this-is-not-a-test-26

Subscribe, yo!

this-is-number-26.jpg

I enjoyed these rivjooze of memwoaelz... understand the desire to read those books, trying to get in their head, get intimate with that tribe, we might be all white indjuns. And then the frustrations .. badly written (But, hey, they are musicians, not writers.. ): or no satisfying substance, which is worse. Roberto Bolano said somewhere that he liked to actively seek out stories written by writers who couldn't find a publisher. That because often they had a real story happen to them, enough to be driven to write, but they did not know how. (I don't remember where I read that; I'll leave the footnoting to others..) - just noting this because I have a similar thirst for jazz biographies (besides for single malt whiskeys).

What about the deflated bouncy castle at an 8 year old's birthday party of a book that Bob Mould wrote?

By that I mean I thought it was a disappointment.

Yeah, I've kind of painted myself into a corner with those pictures. I get an idea of what I want then I go try to find it, which is a little bit of a needle-in-a-haystack search sometimes. "These 60s girl garage band pictures are good, but there has to be one with a Gibson guitar!" It's ridiculous. I'll have everything else ready to go for the week, then spend two hours looking for the right picture.

To find them all I really do is narrow down a Google image search to 'black and white' and 'photographs,' then try different search terms. Usually with 'old' in them somewhere. But now I'm always on the lookout for interesting older pictures, so I'm building up a little stockpile of them. That hasn't helped me yet though, since I get that specific idea in my head. I also need them to be at least 850 pixels wide, which makes it more difficult. There are millions of cool small pictures out there. Not so many big ones.

The reason I bother at all is for the posts here or on Google+, Facebook or Ello. Places where a good image might get someone to click. The podcasts themselves aren't calculated, but everything around them is. Again, ridiculous, but you have to be a little calculated to get anyone's attention out there. I mean, Marc Maron has the President of the United States on his podcast this week, how do you get noticed when shit like that is going on?

Ice bucket: I think it was in episode 3 or 4 you, almighty mjp, or your almighty counter-part, stated: "Art is all that makes life worth living. Art and love."
Ahem. Whew-wee.
Now, I think you forgot some things like plumbing, shitting, pool playing and just about anything else done well with interest, intensity and sincerity.

Don't let that snazzy, artsy concubine of yours make you forget that its whatever gets you thru the nite that matters.
Endurance is more important than art and love as well...

My mother-in-law, an artless simple woman, who has worked hard on simple things all her life, once said: "Its the dull daily routines that keep you going in the long run."
You know, like tying your shoelaces.
She's 88.

That said: I sort of know what you mean.
Love means "interest, intensity and sinceritey, etc."
But I will never learn to trust that L-word, I'm afraid.
Maybe I need an artsy concubine.
Or an artsy mother-in-law.

And your rambling fits the podcast medium very well.
Something about that mellow voice contrasts and balances the bitter bite of the message in a way that pure text can't do.

Oh well, time to get back to my artless and loveless life.
Looking foreward to a good dreamless sleep.
Maybe I'll brush my teeth first.
Intensely.

So I take it you didn't care for that one.

First of all, Neither one of us said:
"Art is all that makes life worth living. Art and love."
Carol said - about herself, not you - "If I don't take risks, then I'm not going to grow. And that's what matters. It's kind of like this philosophy I've had since I was...like 20? What matters is taking risks to grow. [...] it's all about the process, and that's what matters and nothing matters more, except for love."

So your entire tirade here is a little misdirected.

Secondly:
...artsy concubine...artsy concubine...
You can say whatever you want about me, but this is not okay. And coming from someone who's been here on the forum for nine years -- I really don't understand it.

i thought he was talking about matt! o_0o

either way, guess you gotta take the hostility with the praise.

good for the humility and all that...

ps maybe erik doesn't know what concubine really means.

Last edited:
Erik's English is better than most of the Americans around here. He knows what it means.

I hesitated in replying to the post in the first place because I didn't want to make it into more than it is. But for someone who is ostensibly a 'friend of the forum" to insult someone's wife or girlfriend (or boyfriend or kids or anyone else who doesn't deserve to be target of the hostility) - repeatedly - is a dick move and a cowardly jab.

It's the kind of thing I'd expect from someone who just showed up out of the blue with the single-minded intention (intent?) of being an asshole. I don't expect it from a regular. That's what threw me off.

I was pretty confused about the post as well.

I think long-time folks here have always handled disagreements with mutual respect and this certainly didn't feel that way to me. This just as easily could have been a direct message to MJP, and they could've hashed out whatever there was to hash out privately. Instead it's been made public, so I hope for some clarification as to intent here.

Now I did hear a strong anti-love message...which is something I've certainly felt at times. And who knows what I said or did when drunk and feeling that way...

Anyhow, I'm hoping there's something else going on here. And, if so -- Erik, man -- how can we help?

My apoligies mjp.
No intention whatsoever of insulting anyone.
It was a late nite ramble on a few drinks.
The C word has milder connotations in Norwegian.
My thoughts were on the matter not the humans.

The L-word and the A-word always get me gandered up.
Maybe because I haven't experienced much of either.

I have absolutely, whatsoever no need to insult you or Carol, and thorougly enjoyed the podcast.
Thats why I, in my fumbling , adolecent way, actually tried to say something about its content instead og just accolading.

Pleez give my apologies to C. As well.

Erik

Don't worry about it, man. I overreact when I feel that someone is targeting my people, you know. We're probably all the same as far as that goes. Tell a "your mama" joke to the wrong person or in the wrong context and it can get you shot in the kneecap. We are not as far from the cave as we think we are.

It's July 4th, do you know where your independence is? THIS IS NOT A TEST #28

It's the 4th of July, what better day to talk about independence. We'll wave the flag and maybe talk about some other things, like the President, Marc Maron, Rolling Stone and the Rolling Stones, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Joan Jett and the Runaways, the Sex Pistols and Green Day, blowing shit up, refusing to kiss the king's ring, weasels, politicians, tough bastards, the Maldives, the homeland, military regimes, censorship, learning a new language, flags, explorers, colonists, Stonehenge, Vikings, fracking, a McDonald's in Denver, rainforests and deserts, the plains, a pile of beanbag chairs, working until the day you drop dead, food that cooks itself, North Korea, corn on the cob and plastic. Among other things.

http://thisisnotatest.com/its-july-4th-do-you-know-where-your-independence-is-this-is-not-a-test-28

Subscribe! iTunes - Stitcher - Email

this-is-number-28.jpg

Yes, we should be working less. I remember watching a programme about Japan[; the men in this office, they hung around, pretending to do more, for hours, because to leave on time meant you were a slacker. Japan had until recently one of the worst rates of work (and unemployment) related suicides in the world. That is changing now due to government interevention about overwork and the status of work in their lives..

Growing up in the 70's and 80's through the collapse of heavy industries here, when men were trying desperately to save their jobs and the right to work. The shipyards and foundries spiliing out hundreds of thousands of men every afternoon disappeared and in my community it is still mourned today,where the evidence of the old foundries still are.

Artist Ryan Mutter, whose work I really love (a bit like WW1 artist C.R.W Nevinson) portrays that disappeared world; very dark, sombre and beautiful images. Not to romanticise it, but to honour it, rightly.
http://ryanmutter.com/project/the-men-who-built-mary/

Whenever I hear of Greece a piece of dialogue from a story in Erections invariably springs to mind. "Greece?" "Up your arse." "No, up your's!" (I paraphrase).

Nicely putt together, Mjp. It has become a ritual of mine to sit at the kitchen table and paint while listening to your podcasts.

Last edited:
Nice! Loved#29! Soon as I finished I came across an Instagram user: alicessr
she posted a video getting the "find what you love..." Tattoo up about two hours ago!

This has always bothered me, specifically the Bukowski ones and Bob Marley ones!

Another great episode!

The clothes make the man – THIS IS NOT A TEST #30

Let's talk about clothes. We all wear them, we all love them. You do love them, don't you? Along the way let's also mention humidity, the people who really run shit, guacamole, Chinese boots, caves and castles, going topless, Victorian era women, flappers, frozen steaks, Comic-Con, Captain America, mouth-breathers, subcultures, fishermen, black jeans and Babylon.

http://thisisnotatest.com/the-clothes-make-the-man-this-is-not-a-test-30

this-is-number-30.jpg

Don't say anything about fishermen. I don't know what they look like in California or Minnesota, but over here in good old Germany they really look cool, man.
Nice episode, by the way.

Fear and loathing on craigslist – THIS IS NOT A TEST #31

Misadventures in trying to give things away on the Internet. Also: dicking around, vacations, text messaging, ridiculously humid days, lying about your name, setting fires in your front yard, people at the post office, bubble wrap, the customer is usually wrong, the Recycler, that TV show about guys up in Maine buying and selling and bartering out of a weekly classifieds paper, selling guitars, blacksmithery, things like soap, riding the wave of change, the middle class, being frozen or suspended or whatever they do to preserve our flimsy bodies after we die and trust.

Also, as an added bonus, here’s a caption for the picture below: “Oh, hi handsome! Where did you come from? I was just reading this book with my butt. Care to join me?”

http://thisisnotatest.com/fear-and-loathing-on-craigslist-this-is-not-a-test-31

this-is-number-31.jpg

The Craigslist thing is so fucking true, and people rarely disappoint. It also wouldn't have been surprising for them to have hit you up for some dough to take the sectional "off your hands."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back