Was Bukowski ever on welfare? (1 Viewer)

I gotta know. It seems that he never was but did he ever mention anything about it in his writings or interviews? What was his opinion on people who did go on the benefit? He was broke so often I can't understand why he wouldn't have, at least between jobs. Was he too proud? The reason I ask is because I am in a dilemma myself about wether to go on the benefit until I get a new job, I'm kinda ashamed about it but feel like it might be the only way out for the moment. Plus I heard something Kerouac said in an interview about the lousy "bohemian" writers who never worked a day and leeched off the system. I am no writer or artist but I am very impressionable you know:rolleyes:. Any info about it would be appreciated or even your opinions. I need direction and I need it fast.

Who cares what a writer did or said? What difference does it make? You need to do what you can to get by. Surely if you are eligible for some kind of state welfare, even as a temporary measure, you would be better off claiming it until things improve?

Anyway, in his novels he does mention claiming unemployment checks between jobs back in the 40s and 50s. See Factotum.

I wouldn't feel guilty about claiming welfare. We all pay for it with our taxes. It's our money -- the public's -- not the government's. Especially if you are between jobs. You pay into the system, so when you need it, there's no shame in getting benefits. I wouldn't think twice about doing it if I were between jobs, and I've worked like a maniac my whole life. Would Bukowski do it? He had a lot of pride. I imagine he would be reluctant to receive welfare, but he'd do it to survive.

Don't be on a guilt trip -- take it, you have earned it even if you have not worked. And this statement is coming form somebody who pays taxes and works 60 -70 hrs a week. We all want to help those that need it -- and it goes to your character -- do you need it, if so then take it. Believe me, there are many who don't need it that take it, so its nice to find somebody that really needs it. Remember that if you do feel guilty then after you get back on your feet, go out and help somebody, just make sure they don't rob you.

I'm currently on unemployment because I have schizophrenia and depression, and have been unable to cope with work. I am hoping to get back to college soon so I will be coming off it. You shouldn't be too proud to claim it, it's an entitlement.

As for Bukowski, as Hank Solo said, Buk mentions claiming unemployment in Factotum between jobs.

As opposed to leaching off their mothers, I suppose. ;)

My exact thought. I love Jack, but he did sit around his mom's house getting smashed every day the last decade or so of his life, bumming off her. he could have been out in the world, earning a living, through writing or just a regular job, but chose to take the easy route instead.

Hey hey hey, that's not fair at all! Kerouac also spent a good deal of time trashing his friends privately AND in public!

True. I think with all writers/artists/musicians, you have to cut them some slack. They're people, they talk trash, they make mistakes, they have their failings and weaknesses. Kerouac was no saint but he was an exceptional human being.

I wouldn't feel guilty about claiming welfare. We all pay for it with our taxes. It's our money -- the public's -- not the government's. Especially if you are between jobs. You pay into the system, so when you need it, there's no shame in getting benefits.

Exactly! That's the way the system is set up...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be more or little, disappointed if he in fact did threaten to 'commit suicide' if he wasn't published - was that sometimes in 60's? Unemployment benefit is just a (temporary) safety net, nothing to be ashamed of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back