Welcome to my Archives v.2! (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
My office has been a complete mess for months on end; it usually took me forever to find a poem in my files, and many a time I gave up before I even tried to find stuff here. It was madness, it was frightening, it was mind-boggling... Whenever I looked at the mountain-high pile of papers, documents, mags, xerox copies, I thought: "The Horror, the Horror!"

A few weeks ago I decided it was about time to have a tidier place. And today I can safely say it's my happiest day as a Bukowski "scholar" :rolleyes: The mess is gone for good and it should take me less than forever to find stuff now.

So fire your request now! I'll be happy to find that poem / story / article / interview you always wanted to read but couldn't find anywhere. Chances are I might have it here.

This is the archive file for the 1980-1990 uncollected poems period. The Fogel book should give you an idea of how big each file is.

man, I would love(!!) to sit down in front of that bookcase for awhile...like maybe for the rest of my life....

So...when is the comprehensive title index coming out? I need to know so I can steal it for the database. Nothing personal, all great artists steal, you know that...

That looks like it was a very daunting task.
Amazing.
But that's nothing compared with getting all those hundreds and hundreds of poems and short stories published in book form... or am I just blowing a bottle of smoke...?

Wow. That's a LOT of uncollected stuff. Cool. :cool:

Yes. At least the last book of poetry. There could always be a collection of short stories, or letters I suppose, but I assume that that would be a deal that would be shopped around by Linda and the estate for a publisher like Harper Collins/Ecco, not a small press publisher like me.

Bill

There is definitely another book of prose coming out, but I will leave it to others who know the details (and whether they can be divulged yet) to elaborate.

But going off what ROC said, there is no reason the best of the uncollected work shouldn't come out. I understand that some (much?) of it may be sub-par, but even if you weed out the junk, there are a few more books there. Remember, uncollected doesn't mean unpublished. Someone, somewhere thought most of it was worth publishing, if only in a little mimeo rag. There may be considerable barriers to such a project though, as it is not in the interest of Bukowski's current publishers to have any kind of competition where poetry collections are concerned.

I don't think anyone can say how much unpublished material there is. Even if you combined all the institutional collections that contain a lot of manuscripts, so much of the early stuff is simply not there. Before he started sending a copy of everything to Martin, it was just sort of scattered to the wind (or more accurately, the mailbox). That means that about 15 years worth of poetry that wasn't published somewhere is probably gone. Who knows what was in there?

That's a lot of typing. Just indexing the published work is a huge task, one that (when he was told about the database here many years ago) Al Fogel laughed off as impossible. But you know how it is with impossible things. Someone is always trying to go ahead and do them, just to prove you wrong.

There is definitely another book of prose coming out, but I will leave it to others who know the details (and whether they can be divulged yet) to elaborate.

If that is true (and this is the first time that I have heard it), then I think that this would be great!

Hopefully it is true and someone can spill the beans...

Bill

It's certainly true. It will be a book of stories and essays/reviews by Bukowski, but I cannot disclose further details as I'm not editing the book. Hopefully, it will be published late next year by an important publishing house.

I had some input re. the stories and essays selected for the book, so expect a first-rate collection :D Some stories -from Berkeley Tribe and National Underground Review- kick ass.

It's certainly true. It will be a book of stories and essays/reviews by Bukowski, but I cannot disclose further details as I'm not editing the book. Hopefully, it will be published late next year by an important publishing house.

But I want it NOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown!

Oh my.

Has MULLINAX seen this thread?

I have seen it and I swear on a stack of HAM ON RYES that I will redouble my collecting efforts!

I also swear on a stack of FACTOTUMS that more poems and more letters and more stories wil be collected in a collectable form!

SO DO I SWEAR!

And Cirerita, congratulations on your good work!

Tu sei veramente un uomo d'onore!

(Lots of exclamation points!)

But I want it NOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, the closest thing to having it now would be catching a plane to my place. Talk about a sneak preview!

Tu sei veramente un uomo d'onore!

(Lots of exclamation points!)

Mi dispiace, ma sono spagnolo, non italiano! Comunque, mi piace l'italiano e ti ringrazio lo sforzo.

Huh?

I don't think anyone can say how much unpublished material there is. Even if you combined all the institutional collections that contain a lot of manuscripts, so much of the early stuff is simply not there.

Well, the poems which Bukowski lost in the mail -500?- are definitely lost. That doesn't mean that some of them might appear some day in a forgotten cardboard box or in the trash. That happened once, right? The story was covered in a LA paper and titled "Lost and Unbound". But we can safely assume that most of them are definitely lost... or burned, as the drawings for Atomic Scribblings.

But available -at institutions, private collections, etc- unpublished poems can be certainly indexed. If Pleasures is the last book of poetry -ahem- then it seems reasonable to have those unpublished poems indexed.

Impossible? Possibly.

But possible things are kind of boring, aren't they? Think of the pleasure of undertaking an impossible task...

cirerita said:
Mi dispiace, ma sono spagnolo, non italiano! Comunque, mi piace l'italiano e ti ringrazio lo sforzo.

Huh?

Sono Slavo, pero la mia madre e Italiana. Un proprio bastardo!

I miei amici Italiani amano molto il Nostro Ubriacone Buk.

Un giorno, la bandiera di Bukowski sopra tutto!

cirerita said:
Well, the poems which Bukowski lost in the mail -500?- are definitely lost. That doesn't mean that some of them might appear some day in a forgotten cardboard box or in the trash. That happened once, right? The story was covered in a LA paper and titled "Lost and Unbound". But we can safely assume that most of them are definitely lost... or burned, as the drawings for Atomic Scribblings.

But available -at institutions, private collections, etc- unpublished poems can be certainly indexed. If Pleasures is the last book of poetry -ahem- then it seems reasonable to have those unpublished poems indexed.

Impossible? Possibly.

But possible things are kind of boring, aren't they? Think of the pleasure of undertaking an impossible task...

Publishing has always been fraught with tensions and risks. The first scribes with their cuneiform styluses incurred the wrath of Sargon when they inserted jokes and vulgar bon mots onto those slabs of wet clay. Wycliffe (or somebody) was imprisoned for publishing a vulgar translation of the Bible into English. Where would D. H. Larence or Solzhenitsyn be without their brave publishers, editors, compilers and smugglers. Are we less than these brave individualists who sought to bring THE WORD to Mankind?

I SAYTHEE NAY!

To be an outlaw in the service of literature.

That is the creed of the true Bukster.

That's an awesome collection you have, c...! Well done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo... Is any of this stuff readily available scanned and PDF'd? Like... All of it? I'd totally dedicate an entire hard drive to your archives. I imagine you probably go around just giving people copies of your spectacular archives. Especially people you don't know from the Internet.

I am totally impressed though. I want my shelves to show Black Sparrow Press all down the spines like yours do.

I was born to hunt! I kinda wondered if I'd end up scouring the archives of the forums... And here I go. I can't count the hours I spent checking the databases at my school for all sorts of things... So this'll be a fun way to spend a day off or two.

The archives here are among the finest anywhere.

A n y where.

Have phun...

- -
Okay,
22EE92799D4F74409511BFF3A8A69643.png

Oh and I meant to ask initially... Are those all photocopies, originals, a mix of each? I mean... either way, it a crazy archive... But just curious.

No more collections of poetry? But... but... the stuff exists, and I can't imagine that some of it won't be published, eventually. The audience is there, money to be made. I understand if it's not his best stuff, it could hurt the image, and would compete with the already published stuff. However, "best" is subjective. And Martin, bless him, is a somewhat restrictive editor. He passed on the rawer manuscripts. His definition of best isn't necessarily gospel. I can imagine a "best" of the uncollected that picks up all the good stuff Martin wouldn't print. There would be a ready market for that.

I can picture BOSP coming out with some of the uncollected work. Go, Bill!

Glad to hear there's a new prose collection in the making.

Cirereta, you've got some binders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back