What did Ginsberg make of Bukowski's writing? (1 Viewer)

Here's an interesting interview with Ginsberg I found earlier this month in which he discusses Buk: Interviewer: "Right, he [Buk] wouldn't come to Naropa as I remember" Ginsberg: "No, we invited him [to give reading at Naropa in Boulder, CO]...He was such grumpy old man. Interviewer: "Very grumpy, and wasn't very kind to many of the Beat writers. Ginsberg: "He was to me, in person at any rate. I think earlier, before he got cured, his brothers would say, i.e. before he got much richer than me or any of the Beat writers, because he was very famous in Italy and Germany, and they made movies of his work. Before that, he was wondering why we were so popular and why he was not. And therefore, he was a little bit grumpy about it. But he did meet Neal Cassady and admired him and wrote a very nice story about him. Interviewer: Yeah. G: "And then we worked together; I meant well, at any rate. I wasn't entirely an evil creep."
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/previously_unpublished_interview_with_allen_ginsberg

It's one of the Notes, it starts with "I met Kerouac's boy..." or something like that.

Edit: It's on page 16 of Notes of a Dirty Old Man (Virgin edition), the fourth collected column in the book.

Bukowski and Ginsberg are different for me...as bukowski and other beat writers.
I've read most poem of Minimalist like Tolstoi,Kafka,Dostoevskij or Celine and yes....bukowski is incredibily similar to Celine but with fresh and simple writing.

I am right now re-reading the Bukowski-Purdy letters before I put it in one of my damn boxes. I need a big fancy house with lots of bookshelves so I can put all of my "not so fancy" books onto to them. Here is a quote from a letter to Purdy from Buk. I need to warn everyone...Bukowski sometimes uses foul language. Page 37. it is Jan 25 or 26, 1965.

Purdy had just been in NYC where a bunch of poets were gathered. Buk warned Purdy to stay away from such events and almost couldn't believe that Purdy was there. Buk told him, I hate that shit...in so many words.

"Ginsburg is the only one who disturbs me with the mouthing. he loves the crowd appeal. he is a showoff. he is a jackoff in public. yet he continues to write mostly good poetry while the others die."

In one of the Naropa University recordings of Ginsburg, one of his classes on poetry there, he comments on Bukowski. He liked Buk's use of narrative in poetry, says it's rare now for poems to tell stories. But didn't think Buk was great at including enough detail in poems to make the poems come alive in more than a flat sense. He thinks Charles Reznikoff's poetry is better in that respect. But Ginsburg had read some of Buk and showed some appreciation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back