Will it make my iPod? (volume 2) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
12. Bomfunk MCs -
13. Roots Manuva -

He's silly. Have a bonus on me:

MC Pitman -
And now here's a little Barfly segment:-

17. Albert King -
18. The Lounge Lizards -
19. John Coltrane -
Oops... Er. Someone start a New Week

2. Fleet Foxes - He doesn't know why

bonus Teenage Fanclub - Star Sign

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Fleet Foxes - He doesn't know why

Don't know if it's in the soil, water, or post Mount St. Helens eruptive air but for some reason the State of Washington spews out great bands seemingly without pause.

Turn ....and everyone I know wonders why they associate with me...But anyway, I listened to this tonight, and listen to it probably 5x a week! Rocks me out everytime! Parental Advisory from Tipper Gore, even though it's on youtube, you'll see some boobs and lots of smoking crack and some other stuff, ya know. Anyway, great song.

(apparently, at least according to an interview on howard stern a few years back, this one's about his ex Rose Mcgowan)

Don't know if it's in the soil, water, or post Mount St. Helens eruptive air but for some reason the State of Washington spews out great bands seemingly without pause.
Probably you don't know, Belgium keep delivering good bands.
On the other hand; Holland's "new wave" is quite... KUT (cunt) as the Dutch kids say...
Pardon their French.

Drop a link on a Belgium band you like. Know nothing of the Dutch new wave but fondly remember one of the few rap I've ever liked.

Must be a new week by now...

1) Blind Willie Johnson -
BONUS: The Elders McIntorsh and Edwards' Sanctified Singers -
BONUSBONUS: Nelstone's Hawaiians -

4. Let's Get Married - Al Green
It just sounds soooo good right now, had to share.

[This video is unavailable.]

New week:

1. Byrds - Eight Miles High

In the day I really enjoyed this song and thought it was the coolest song ever. Of course that was over forty years ago. It would make my iPod. Thanks Jan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I met this guy who was 33 when I was 18.
He sold sixties and early seventies music only.
He made 2000 bucks per month on collectors items.

I remember that my older friend told me many background stories.

About eight miles high he told me:

The song was subject to a U.S. radio ban shortly after its release, following allegations published
in the broadcasting trade journal the Gavin Report regarding perceived drug connotations in its lyrics.

And:

The influence of Coltrane's saxophone playing and in particular his song "India" from Impressions can be clearly heard in "Eight Miles High", most noticeably in McGuinn's reoccurring twelve-string guitar solo.

5? - Maybe by John Frusciante This makes my non-existant ipod, the blank cd next to me, and onto the other blank cd that I will at somepoint make into a mix cd. John really needs to record studio versions of all these songs!

Now I don't see any resemblance at all.:rolleyes: Unfortunately this sort of thing was common practice. Really dig Canned Heat but will defer to Bukfan on this one. Good find, Swan.

7. Henry Thomas. Bull Doze Blues
Canned Heat had stolen this one.

Not exactly stolen, but, "Going Up The Country", by Alan Wilson (Canned Heat) was certainly based on "Bulldoze Blues", recorded by Henry Thomas in 1928. That's common knowledge. It's normal for blues musicians to rework old blues songs. Just think about how many versions of Robert Johnson's, "Dust My Broom", have been recorded since he wrote it back in the twenties.

Here's what Rebecca Davis Winters has to say about "Bulldoze Blues" and "Going Up The Country" in her book, "Blind Owl Blues" (2007):

"Both songs sound very similar for a cursory listen, but are really quite distinct from one another. Their lyrics share the theme of travel but use completely different words. They also diverge in that a great deal of Thomas' song is taken up with the panpipes (a total of eight panpipe choruses are played; one as an introduction and one after each verse), while Wilson's use of the flute is much more sparing, including only four solos."

- So, the words are different, and where Thomas use eight panpipe choruses, Wilson uses four flute solos (instead of panpipes).
Of course, one can always discuss how much a song needs to be reworked before one can claim credit for it. I guess there must be some sorta rules for that.

As an aside, Canned Heat made a point of only reworking/re-record old blues songs when they knew the original song writers had died long ago and therefore would'nt receive any royalty money anyway. The royalties for those old songs would usually go to the diseased song writers record company, so there wasn't anything wrong in reworking them and claiming credits for them, although those record companies might disagree, but they had only payed the original song writers a small one time fee for recording the songs, and afterward made a bundle, so why care about them? The black blues song writers back then did'nt exactly get a fair deal when they recorded their songs for a record company.

When the song writer was still alive, Canned Heat split the money with him. For example, when they recorded, "Let's Work Together", by Wilbert Harrison, which became a big hit, the writer's royalties went to Wilbert Harrison and his publisher, while the Artist royalties went to Canned Heat.

Thank you Bukfan for the research.
I agree that the words are very different but when the flute played, I found that to be a little more than similar. But again, I imagine these practices were common as you say.
Many painters have done the very same, re-working the same subject and composition.
I was wondering though, if he was ever given any credit for it by Canned Heat.
What if Henry took it from Thomas? :)

A little more than similar? Absolutely! That's why Rebecca Davies writes "..very similar for a cursory listen..".

Yes, he was given credit for it in interviews and, for example, in Canned Heat's drummer's book about his career in Canned Heat (Fito De La Parra: "Living The Blues"), but he wasn't given credit on the album, nor on the single, due to the reasons I told you about (the royalty money would've gone to Thomas' record company, not his surviving relatives, and the record companies back then only payed the black blues musicians a one time measly fee, so why give them more money?).
It was never any secret that "Going Up The Country" was based on "Bulldoze Blues". That's obvious. Anybody can hear that.
Canned Heat reworked or re-recorded many old blues songs and have often been praised for doing so because they helped keeping those songs alive for a new generation to enjoy.
Some of their songs were indeed credited to the original song writer on the album, such as Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup's, "That's Alright Mama", and Willie Dixon's, "Bring It On Home", to name a few.
Their first hit, "On The Road Again", was a reworked song by Floyd Jones, so the credit reads, "Floyd Jones - Alan Wilson", on the album/single. And when they recorded Charley Patton's, "Pony Blues", they only credited themselves for the adaptation and arrangement. Maybe they should've done the same thing with "Going Up The Country", or credited it to, "Thomas - Wilson".

I believe there's some rules for when you can claim credit for a song you have reworked. Something about how many notes or bars, or whatever it's called, you need to change, so it's no longer considered a copy of somebody else's song, but I don't know the exact details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back