Women by Charles Bukowski (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry roni, but we're not here to spoon feed you! You just don't get it. I guess we'll be strong to the finish, while you erm... ah nevermind I'm lame...

In Roniland they only have "Rauchende Colte",
When was that again on ard, zdf or wdr, late sixties?

In Roniland they only have "Rauchende Colte",
When was that again on ard, zdf or wdr, late sixties?

I had to google Rauchende Colte. It's Gunsmoke? Heh. I wouldn't mind hearing Festus (one of the greatest TV characters ever) say "you old beady-eyed snaggletoothed polecat" in German. The problem with spinach is the presentation. Canned in vinegar it sucks. Sautéed in butter it is quite a different matter and as a base for salad it's far better than lettuce. And as for David's assertion it doesn't matter what you like in the grand scheme of things I only have to add the only book I ever drop-kicked across a bookstore was a collection of Rod McKuen's poetr...poet...poe...fuckmethisisgodawfulshit. There are limits to what doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, 'Rauchende Colts' is 'Gunsmoke' and as a child I too liked Festus.
Then there's 'Western von Gestern'
And of course, we do have 'Poppey' and other nice American culture on TV.
Unfortunately we also have 'Hannah Montana', but maybe, I just don't get it.

And I like sauerkraut sometimes, but prefer savoy to my Franconian 'Schäuferle'.

Women arrived today.
I am happy about this.
This is my first time reading Bukowski!!
Finally.
I'll probably finish this in 2 days.
I have 3 more books on order.

This is my first time reading Bukowski!!

christopher before reading Bukowski:

geek2.jpg

christopher after reading Bukowski:

Brando2.jpg

hahaha, Stavrogin, thats awesome.

In one night, I've read about 50 pages and I am HOOKED already.
This is amazing.
So upset I didn't discover this man sooner.
Better late than never?

Another question.
My version of the book is ISBN 978-0-06-117759-0.
It has the Orangeish cover with the lady in heels.
How do I know what edition/print this is?
I've read the inside covers, but, its unclear as I'm completely clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.
Thanks!

In case you worry about the 'spoiled/ruined' 1st edition: it sure isn't that one. The text you have is as Bukowski wanted it to be. The ruined one was a BSP (=Black Sparrow Press) and it was only the very first edition of that.

What you have is just a brand new Ecco-print, that does not hold the ruined version. (And will never be a collectible either btw.)

Oh, you didn't know?
I'm sorry, because this is a longer story and more or less starts with a letter by Bukowski to Carl Weissner (and I think one to Gerry Locklin too) and we've had it here on the forum in all length. Maybe the mods would be so kind to find that thread and link to it?

I know little to nothing about Bukowski.
I'm new to the forum and new to his work! I'm only on my first novel.
I have lots to learn. Its why I'm here!

I'm about to leave the computer now, but maybe another one here can find a link for you or just quote from 'Living on Luck' pp 259-60.

EDIT:
I see hanksolo, was so nice to do it already. Thanks man!

I have lots to learn.
One little forum thing there, pardner - When you want to reply to the last comment in a thread, just type in the box, don't click "Reply." There's no need to quote the post right before yours. Thank you for your kind indulgence.

Down to my last 20-30 pages and I am LOVING it.
I'm sad for it to end.
Bring Me Your Love arrived today. Hopefully another novel or book shows up Monday. I'll be finished both of these today! I need more Buk books.

This letter is one to read too:-

http://savebukowski.org/manuscripts/letter1979-02-06-weissner.jpg

(NB: For those new to Bukowski, Carl Weissner is a German writer and literary translator. He translated much of Bukowski's poetry and prose for the German market and became Bukowski's literary agent in Germany. )

Extract:-
[...] I guess John Martin just kind of went crazy. I think it was a pretty shameful thing to do--work in his 'writing', I mean. I guess we all go crazy now and then. Anyhow, the 2nd printing will read better. I guess when people compare the 2 editions they'll never know the real story. They will be more apt to think that I went addled with senility and somebody else went ahead and made the changes for me. It's pretty tough to take because I don't mind being criticized for my own writing but to be laid open for somebody else's isn't so good. Anyhow, I will have to keep a closer watch on John in future work of mine. I doubt that he will fuck me up again. Sometimes I get rather sickened by some of Martin's acts and methods. I wish you were my god damned editor, but thank the gods at least that I have you for a translator, agent and friend. (oh yeah, John actually said, "Sometimes the typist gets bored and throws in something." Wonder if Faulkner and J. Joyce were bothered with that?) [...]

Damn, I was just reading the letters from Bukowski to Martin at savebukowski.org. The one from 1978 and another from 1986 are really quite brutal in showing his disgust for some of Martin's ways. I knew there was friction around Women, but the 78 letter predates those issues, and the issues obviously continued for a decade.

That's some letter, and he did'nt sign it, "Your boy, Hank", as he often did in his letters to Martin (for obvious reasons, of course). It does look like Martin was trying to monopolize all of Buk's writings.
Speaking of Martin, The way he treated Amber O'Neill and her Buk memoir, "Blowing My Hero", have always bothered me.

Speaking of Martin, The way he treated Amber O'Neill and her Buk memoir, "Blowing My Hero", have always bothered me.
I'm no fan of Martin, but from what I understand, the Blowing My Hero episode didn't exactly go down as you might have heard it. In other words, he didn't really threaten her, and in fact he didn't even tell her she couldn't sell the existing copies.

Last edited:
Then I got it wrong! I was under the impression Martin told her she couldn't sell the book because he claimed to own the copyright to the few Buk letters in the book, while at the same time ordering a bunch for his own costumers. Why else would Amber say she's got 500 copies of the book she can't sell? And why did she cut out the 2-3 pages containing Buk letters in the few copies she did sell, if there wasn't any problem in selling the book as it was printed?

Like I said, from what I understand, and I can't be real specific about it, but I do know that there are two sides to that story and all anyone has heard is Amber's. Whatever her reasons are for not wanting to sell the book, those are her reasons and it's her book, so what can you do?

True, we only know Amber's side of the story, and I guess we will never know the other side of the story. Still, I'm glad she was willing to sell some us a copy back then, even if it was without the letter pages.

Finished!
AMAZING!
(spoiler alert)
I love how it doesn't really have an ending. I find it provokes more questions than answers.

Question:
Does anyone know if the musician mentioned in the book several times is based off of anyone?

My insult was hurled directly at the beerbelly666's of this forum (those who have only read a few of his novels and seem not to grasp Buk's character whatsoever), though mjp is behaving rather badly in this thread it seems ;). 'Fanboys' is an appropriate term for anyone resembling the boys in Women who wanted to "reward" buk with a sixpack. Bukowski constantly complained of people talking about writing--particularly his writing--so my comments were neither unwarrented nor pretentious in light of comments like "you just don't GET it, man." Bukowski was straightforward for a reason.

Oh come on, Kassandra. Stop sucking the cocks of the POWERS THAT BE on this forum. You initially said "people on this thread" and then changed it to the beerbelly's. How pathetic! Inserting a smiley when you take a dig at mjp. Sheesh! Atleast stand up for what you believe in, on a bloody forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back