YouTube: It's Good To Be Back Documentary (1 Viewer)

Wow Wow Wow i was looking for years for that docu!!!
It is about his trip to Germany and his legendary reading in Hamburg dated 18th may 1978 Wow Wow Wow.

Also cool to see Keith Richards interviewing Germans...

KeithRichards.jpg

;)

Thanks for posting this. My German isn't good enough to the get the best from this. Interesting to see it though. Buk looked kind of nervous. I guess any of us would facing those crowds and interviewers.

Also cool to see Keith Richards interviewing Germans...

KeithRichards.jpg

;)
Ha! And this was when he was supposed to be in rehab in Canada. Right?

I like best that there really was some guy screaming "asshole" ... etc. during the reading. I've read about this in Shakespeare Never Did This and always thought it an invention to spice things up a bit.

Great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got another and longer version in dvd . There's more from the reading and at the end you can see Buk and his wife are back in their hotel packing their luggage and says goodbye to the crew.

But it is a very good documentary :)

This documentary is no loger available on YouTube. Does anyone have this? Was this ever released officialy on VHS or DVD?

[...] Was this ever released officialy on VHS or DVD?

I've just recently bought the DVD from the director himself (Thomas Schmitt) for 25,- EUR. (I also bought his two other Buk-docus for the same price each.)

If you're willing to pay that price (plus shipping), I might ask him for a copy for you. It would be the most 'official' way to get a copy. (But I'm sure, there are possibilities out there to find that piece unofficially too...)

Thanks Roni, that's nice of you. How long is the documentary? Is it all in German? What about the other 2, can you give some details, please?

'It's good to be back' (1978) is 45 min.
'Charles Bukowski - East Hollywood' (1976) is 52 min.
'I'm still here' (1990) is 33 min.

All are in German (his own voice is mostly overdubbed by a German translation).

When I talked with Thomas Schmitt on the phone, I also mentioned, the time might be right to have a look through the original material and make a film out of it, that does NOT have the voice-over, but only (removable) subtitles. He didn't seem to be totally disgusted by the idea.

Hm, too bad they're all in German, at least for me, although I can understand some of it. Maybe your idea to turn them into a movie without the voice-over and with subtitles will come to life, that would be something. Thanks again for the info.

Sheesh! How did I miss that when it was up on Youtube? Must be this damned life I have with a job and a house and a dog and a car... (I wrote at first "a odg and a cra..." -- kind of like that.)

When I talked with Thomas Schmitt on the phone, I also mentioned, the time might be right to have a look through the original material and make a film out of it, that does NOT have the voice-over, but only (removable) subtitles. He didn't seem to be totally disgusted by the idea.

It would be great to have the docu's without the voice-over! Keep selling him the idea, Roni...

liquor store said:
btw one might find it at rapidshare ;)

I just tried but couldn't find it there. The only thing that turned up under Bukowski was the BIT docu. I also tried "Bukowski Hamburg", but no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back