Abel's book coming... (1 Viewer)

Don't jump to conclusions! He'll figure out a way to withhold any information that you'd really want to know. ;)

Seriously though, that's a shame. It doesn't sound anything like the "living bibliography" he said he was writing. I was looking forward to that. But "a critical study of literary magazines, underground newspapers, and small press publications"? Oh my. I get sleepy just typing that.

Good question. I'd say, "Ask him what it means," but his response would probably raise more questions than it answered.

He interviewed a lot of people who knew and/or published Bukowski, and some time ago he teased a bibliography that would include quotes, information, anecdotes, etc. from the publishers. That's the impression he gave anyway.

The interviews are really secondary though. He's done more research on Bukowski's work - tracking down obscure pieces and publications - than anyone else in the world, so a comprehensive bibliography is certainly something he could produce if he was so inclined.

Maybe he is still planning to do so. I hope so, anyway. He's certainly got the data. It could be epic.

Don't jump to conclusions, indeed! The living bibliography or bio-bibliography is definitely happening. I need to see a couple of large Bukowski collections and then I hope to call it a day. It has been a long journey. Anyway, I will try to put it out next year, but I'm not holding my breath. I just learned a lot of ugly things about publishing with the King of the Underground book. I didn't want a subtitle, but...

A "living" bibliography is -to me- a good old bibliography with lots of background stories about most publications as told by their publishers. Some of those stories are awesome. Some of the publishers I talked to while putting it together have passed away since. In a sense, the biblio will bring them back to life.

I didn't have a say re. the price and many other things. All the books in that series are similarly priced. My guess is that if you really want to read it, you just have to wait a couple of months and I'm sure cheaper copies will show up in Abebooks, Amazon, etc.

I know...I just wonder how long it will take to be available in scholarly libraries.

But anyway, that's great news indeed. Sorry for the grumpiness, can't help being French ;)

Abebooks, Amazon, etc.

Are you doing any signed copies? Without good historians, good poetry doesn't last long on this earth ...

Also, because I'm mean, I'm going to say that using the term underground for people who are doing much better than typical work seems backwards and slightly cliche. Better title would've been "King of the above ground" :p

Hey, it's only $68 if you preorder. ;)

Review from John Martin:

"As far as scholarship is concerned, it's the best, most needed, and important book ever written and published on Hank's writing and career. I did not realize that such a crazy patchwork of rumor and inaccurate speculation constituted the current state of Bukowski 'scholarship.' Debritto corrects, or questions, much of this rumor and misinformation and builds an invaluable foundation for further academic inquiry. I think sound future Bukowski scholarship will now be possible only because this book. Debritto has done a masterful job. Now Bukowski scholarship can begin to move forward on a sound, rational basis."
- John Martin, publisher of Black Sparrow Press and Bukowski

"Now Bukowski scholarship can begin to move forward on a sound, rational basis," rather than, one can only gather, the horrible innuendo and inaccuracy of those people on the Internet! Ha.

John Martin has some nerve speaking to "accuracy."

Jesus, at $68 it better be the best book out there about Buk, not including his very own writing.

Even though I won't be buying a copy ($68 is a couple of weeks worth of food for me these days), I hope they sell a bunch of them and I hope I get a chance to read it someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I won't be buying a copy ($68 is a couple of weeks worth of food for me these days), I hope they sell a bunch of them and I hope I get a chance to read it someday.
Don't worry chronic, I'm sure more affordable copies will turn up sooner than later...

Btw, I see Abel's into "Imagism" these days.
I was into Imagism last January, when I wrote that piece. Now I have moved on to the next new thing. Imagism was a cool period in English and American poetry. There was almost no bullshit in their poetry. Some poems by Aldington are very similar to Bukowski's. No wonder Bukowski looked up to him.

"Now Bukowski scholarship can begin to move forward on a sound, rational basis," rather than, one can only gather, the horrible innuendo and inaccuracy of those people on the Internet! Ha.
Not quite so. He's talking about what I say in the book, and in my book I only make two references to Internet in passing. For better or for worse, I deliberately avoided discussing Internet references.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite so. He's talking about what I say in the book, and in my book I only make two references to Internet in passing. For better or for worse, I deliberately avoided discussing Internet references.
Which may be why he's so enthusiastic about it.

My point wasn't that he loves or hates the Internet, but rather that he isn't the poster child for accuracy in anything.

I don't know how inaccurate Martin was in things that didn't involve the posthumous collections... I do know that I put him down a couple of times in the book, and the didn't say anything at all about that. After dealing with hundreds of authors, widows, families, dealers, etc, he has probably received a barrage of criticism over the years. I think most criticism leaves him cold, tho.

I was into Imagism last January, when I wrote that piece. Now I have moved on to the next new thing. Imagism was a cool period in English and American poetry. There was almost no bullshit in their poetry. Some poems by Aldington are very similar to Bukowski's. No wonder Bukowski looked up to him.

I see! It was a very informative introduction you wrote. I never even knew there was such a thing as Imagism, but then again I was never into poetry as such apart from Bukowski and a few others. Maybe I should have a look at Aldington, especially since Bukowski looked up to him.

I have #22/25 of this edition. Bukowski's pubic hair is delicately laid into the colophon page, anchored with a rare sample of his sperm. He did this very rarely.

This is an important piece of art as well as a priceless window into the mind of a writer who was balancing on the wall between fame and common cum stains. In addition to the little man and the retarded dog drawing, the author’s inscription includes an unedited x-ray picture of his swollen prostate.

Serious inquiries only…

Could you give the reference where Bukowski mentions those imagists, or anything that proves he looked up to them? So far I haven't found anything in the published letters :((
I see! It was a very informative introduction you wrote. I never even knew there was such a thing as Imagism, but then again I was never into poetry as such apart from Bukowski and a few others. Maybe I should have a look at Aldington, especially since Bukowski looked up to him.
FYI the Imagist manifesto was(quote):
"1. To use the language of common speech, but to employ the exact word, not the nearly-exact, nor the merely decorative word.
2. We believe that the individuality of a poet may often be better expressed in free verse than in conventional forms. In poetry, a new cadence means a new idea.
3. Absolute freedom in the choice of subject.
4. To present an image. We are not a school of painters, but we believe that poetry should render particulars exactly and not deal in
vague generalities, however magnificent and sonorous. It is for this reason that we oppose the cosmic poet, who seems to us to shirk the real difficulties of his art.
5. To produce a poetry that is hard and clear, never blurred nor indefinite.
6. Finally, most of us believe that concentration is of the very essence of poetry."

Except maybe for number 4, I was struck by how those principles were similar to Bukowski's. But how to prove that he was actually influenced by this movement(that it is not mere coïncidence) is another matter.

Dora,

B. not only looked up to Aldington -I think to recall he praises him in a few poems and in an early story- but also to the early Pound and H.D. -B. even corresponded with her.
If you need factual proof, read "Bukowski's Imagist Roots," by Jimmie Cain.

War All the Time
the last generation pg. 17

now

now there are so many of us
but we should be grateful, for in a hundred years
if the world is not destroyed, think, how much
there will be left of all of this:
nobody really able to fail or to succeed - just
relative merit, diminished further by
our numerical superiority…

if you still have doubts of those other golden
times
there were other curious creatures: Richard
Aldington, Teddy Dreiser, F. Scott, Hart Crane, Wyndham
Lewis, the
Black Sun Press.

but to me, the twenties centered mostly on Hemingway
coming out of the war and beginning to type.

it was all so simple, all so deliciously clear

now

there are so many of us.

Ernie, you had no idea how good it had been
four decades later when you blew your brains into
the orange juice

although
I grant you
that was not your best work.

C.B.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/richard-aldington

This is a super awesome thread. I think this thread should win Thread of the Year Award. Im' not kidding but I'm also not 100% serious. I really do think this is a good thread and I will buy the book eventually. First I will have to find more shrubs to trim and more things to paint, of neighbors and friends. This economy has forced me into a 'Factotum" type of existence. I look forward to the day when I buy some Jeffers. Buk dug himself some Jeffers. I wonder if Jeffers was a wee bit of an Imalgamist, or whatever that word is. Jeffers was simple and powerful.
I have #22/25 of this edition. Bukowski's pubic hair is delicately laid into the colophon page, anchored with a rare sample of his sperm. He did this very rarely.

This is an important piece of art as well as a priceless window into the mind of a writer who was balancing on the wall between fame and common cum stains. In addition to the little man and the retarded dog drawing, the author’s inscription includes an unedited x-ray picture of his swollen prostate.

Serious inquiries only…
I would like to propose that Pogue Mahone be given the Title, "Most Like the Drunken Buk." He has earned this title by posting replies and observations that would be posted by the actual real Bukowski. Let us not forget friends as we study the work of the once great writer he was often smelly, drunk, puking, throwing radios through the same window night after night, smashing bottle against walls, drinking until passing out constantly. I feel Pogue Mahone is verbalizing for our pleasure what the 'Real Buk' would be saying if he saw this website. Do I have a 'second' to classify Pogue Mahone as the recipient of the "Most Like the Drunken Buk" award?

First of all, I would like to thank Danny Mac for my nomination as "Most Like the Drunken Buk." I know it was heartfelt and I only wish someone else had seconded the nomination so it would be official (fucking assholes).

I must regretfully decline this nomination for two reasons.

First, it would only encourage me to continue to write stupid shit while I’m drunk, only to wake up at 5 a.m. regretting that I did. I check my “smart” phone each morning, hoping it saves me from the stupidity I wrote the night before, but it does not. I live in shame each morning.

Second, such a coveted prize would only encourage copy-cats who think they are stupid, but will never in their lifetime be more stupid than I. They will flood the threads with their university-taught, formulated stupidity, diluting my natural-born stupidity and making MJP’s life miserable. We should all respect what the core members have done with this site and not muddy it up with “look at me” entries such as those I have made in the past. This site is for serious assholes only.

I can’t promise I can quit, but I have been trying to put my misplaced energies elsewhere. I think LCD watches and Spanish Fly are making a comeback and I have contracts with major suppliers throughout mainland China. I am selling my entire Bukowski collection to finance this effort and am looking for serious investors only.

Thanks again Danny Mac, but look to Roni for future nominations. As you can see, I have already taken up too many words to say a simple thing. Roni says a very complicated thing in a very simple way.

P.S.: It could be because Roni is ESL

I know it was heartfelt and I only wish someone else had seconded the nomination so it would be official (fucking assholes).

I recommended you for the Nobel Prize but the committee said they've become much more selective since the Obama fiasco.

the cover is out now:

41XBblhmzeL.jpg

I like the choice of picture but the rest of the cover is pretty weak
or I miss or expect strength.

well yeah, it's an academic cover.
(I'd be able to do it academic AND appealing, but I'm not on the payroll of this publisher.)

yes, the pic is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back