Abel's book coming... (1 Viewer)

Great photo, but I don't like the red color around it. I would have chosen another color. Still, it's about the content and not the color of the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right! I forgot.

BookSniffer-2.jpg

Last edited:
[...] I don't like the red color around it. I would have chosen another color. [...]
that's partly my fault (if it IS a fault): the publisher had 3 diff color-versions and Abel asked me about them. I was all for the red one. (still am.)

(p.s.: the alternatives had been: 1.: all greyscale (dull/cheap-looking) -or- 2.: a sort of greenish vomit:
alt-color.jpg
)

it's not even red, really. more a pale violet-y indigo something. a very unpalatable tone, i'd say.

you can never go wrong with grey...

on my screen it looks more like some bordeau-red.
anyway, I've seen much worse covers in my life and it sure depends on taste. and what's inside.

(what I really hate is how they didn't care at all for the big letters in the subtitle "FROM OBSCURITY..." - they simply chose the next bigger size, no matter what happened to their thickness. Maybe the letterpress-freaks here can understand what is bothering me.)

...the publisher had 3 diff color-versions and Abel asked me about them. I was all for the red one. (still am.)
Same here, only I suggested flipping the green version around (Light text on dark green rather than the option presented), but abel said he could only choose from the three options the publisher provided. The all grey version looked very drab and the green was not so great, so maroon was the best option available.

well, whoever chose it is an ultra one...

See, you never know who you're going to insult 'round these parts. :rolleyes:

that's partly my fault (if it IS a fault): the publisher had 3 diff color-versions and Abel asked me about them. I was all for the red one. (still am.)

(p.s.: the alternatives had been: 1.: all greyscale (dull/cheap-looking) -or- 2.: a sort of greenish vomit:
View attachment 5270)

It's not a fault, Roni. It's a matter of taste, of what color one likes and considering the alternatives (greenish vomit and cheap greyscale) I would have gone for the red (maroon?) too. Btw, it's funny, they only gave you three colors to choose from. That's some limited choice.

See, you never know who you're going to insult 'round these parts. :rolleyes:

i didn't mean roni! I meant whoever signed off on it - i.e. faceless, anonymous publisher...

also, i shouldn't be calling anyone an ultra-maroon. there's enough negativity and hatred in this world
already. i'm sorry.

i'm sure it's a great book and i look forward to owning a copy.

regardless of the cover...:wb:

I wouldn't sweat it - I didn't take your comment to mean any of us. But it's true, the three options that were selected by the publisher left quite a bit to be desired, so the "best" of what was offered was selected.

The Reddish is definitely the best choice. The photo really IS a good shot of the man. I can't wait to buy it. Besides, we have all learned this at some point in our lives, 'you should never judge a book by it's cover.' Doh!

Well, the book is out now. If you want me to sign/inscribe your copy, I'd be happy to oblige. Send me a p.m. and we'll take it from there.

The price is high, but not unusual for scholarly works.

That's true. Of course, the audience for most scholarly works is libraries, and they can pay. The actual readership of such books is of course depressingly low, too--mostly other scholars, typically, who need to "keep up" with the work coming out in their field. Price is probably not high on their list of criteria used to decide whether they will acquire a volume. Having never heard of Mr. Debritto, I did google him and came up with this article. It's nicely written, and I'm glad to see that work of this calibre is now being done on Bukowski.

never heard of Mr. Debritto...
If you've ever spent an hour (or three) going through the Unpublished and uncollected forum, or any of his thousands of other early forum posts, you've benefited from Mr. Debritto's research. Whether you've heard of him or not, it's not hard to see the breadth of his work, which is significant.

[And Roni beats me to the punch again. I really have to start reloading these threads before I respond.]

If you've ever spent an hour (or three) going through the Unpublished and uncollected forum, or any of his thousands of other early forum posts

I'm happy to say that I have not. I'm happy because, after a 20+-year hiatus from Bukowski, I have been on a six-month-or-so Bukowski binge, which has included acquiring most of his books that passed me by since 1987 or so. Plus I have re-acquired those books that I foolishly sold on eBay in the early 90s--Black Sparrow editions of most of the works up to that time.

So I've been reading Bukowski again. Delightful pursuit! Am reading Women now, and wonderfully, also reading, simultaneously, Bukowski's letters, Scarlet, Ms. King's work, and other things that relate to Women. It's so fascinating and enjoyable to be piecing together the events of this man's life from the viewpoints of those who participated in them.

I'm not sure where my current readings are going to take me, but I suspect I'm going to want to answer some questions that aren't answered by the books in existence. And that must be how an end begets a beginning.

I closed my eyes and....x~O

I ordered the book. I sweat and I stink.
Curious how the book smells like.

if you still have doubts of those other golden
times
there were other curious creatures: Richard
Aldington, Teddy Dreiser, F. Scott, Hart Crane, Wyndham
Lewis, the
Black Sun Press.
This is a tad off topic but when I first started collecting I was so impressed with a catalog I got in 1966 that I still have it. I wish that the sellers of today could have put the equal time and effort into Bukowski's body of work. Howard Woolmer was the dealer and it was titled A Catalogue of The Imagist Poets.

Of its 72 pages 53 contained essays by Wallace Martin and Ian Fletcher. Martin's essay "The Forgotten School of 1909 and the Origins of Imagism" was followed by Fletcher's " Some Anticipations of Imagism".
The 18 pages of books and periodicals for sale followed. I purchased 2 early issues of Poetry with poems and articles by old Ezra for $12.50.

After saying these noble words about this great catalogue I am working on putting out a piece of you know what to be titled "The Last Great Mimeo Catalogue of the House of Books". In it will be all the jetsam of my 52 years of book collecting.

Sadly it will contain no high falloutin essays.

Finished reading King Of The Underground today.

Pretty interesting if you want to know about Buk's mania for writing and his relationship with literary magazines.

"A critical study of literary magazines, underground newspapers, and small press publications"? I get sleepy just typing that.
Yes, I said that, and I was very wrong.

It's a great book (not for the find what you love and let it kill you crowd, but for anyone who's really interested in the man and his early work/mania) and obviously the result of an unimaginable amount of work.

Now that it will be in paperback you don't have any more excuses. Go buy it. Pre-order it and wait by the mailbox.

I finally found a hardback for under $60 two days ago and ordered it. Oh well, very interested in the early period and can't wait to read it.

I've been waiting for the paperback edition for quite a while so I guess I can wait some more time for an inexpensive* copy.

*A book like this can never be called "cheap."

I forgot to link my discussion of this book in my general Bukowski review, which can be found here:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsit...ortion-of-a-dissident-poet/17405#.VyfMJ_ldU5k

I couldn't give Abel's book the space it deserved. It is very informative about Buk's early attitude to writing.

Something weird happened with the text that got published on Spiked. The weird sentence should actually be:
"Some magazine appearances are so rare that Debritto notes that all copies of the publications seem to have disappeared and would command a fortune at auction if ever discovered - quite a turnaround for an outsider author driven by an unquenchable desire to see his words in print." I don't know why the sub-ed screwed around with that sentence. Guess I should be glad he didn't change Buk's sexual organs.

Or change the material meaning and intent of your work without your knowledge or say-so by, I don't know, cutting references to alcohol and madness, or changing words, and sentences, and stanzas...

This book is brilliant. I wish there was a little more detail about the early Bukowski "books," but Abel more than makes up for it with the details around Bukowski's quest for publication before 1970. In addition tracking down Bukowski's early publications, he provides a very interesting narrative on Bukowski's drive to get published at all costs.

I think this book is as important as Krumhansl and Dorbin.

So, from this point forward, I will refer to him as Debritto.

And I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him...and pat him and pet him ...and rub him and caress him and...

[This video is unavailable.]

If only The Book Depository had the book... *sigh*
(I mean a paperback.)

Edit: Hey, they have it*!!!
But the price (43 €**) still isn't quite right for me. :fog:
*it wasn't there two days ago, the last time I checked
** perhaps it's signed by Bukowski :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back