art & artists (1 Viewer)

I've never seen such awesome street art before. It's truly amazing.

The Link does'nt work. It says something about a server error:

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this work by Damian Michaels. You have to see a better scan to appreciate the detail. The original is like 3" x 4". If you blew it up, you would see serious detail. He must use a tiny rapidograph like Jordan has...

dm.jpg

Bill

skyline5.jpg

Wesley Willis, the schizophrenic rock and roller from way back has always captured my attention. I think his drawings, which were marker on board and done right on the street from memory are amazing. The detail in his works were amazing. You see them on eBay every now and then, usually fetching around $1,000.00. Back in the day, he'd sit on street corners and sell them for less than $100.00. The same as with a Dee Dee Ramone painting, I'd give anything to own a Wesley piece of art.

It's a later than the other two. He was moving toward his later style that he would really become known for.

The documentary at the link above is really a great movie about Jankay, and about art and struggle and pain and love. I always hoped it would become more well known. Everyone who has seen it has been moved by it.

While visiting the Musée de L'Orangerie last week-end, I had a crush for Marie Laurencin's work. She was a painter belonging to Picasso's circle in the early 1900s and she had at the same moment a love story with the poet Guillaume Apollinaire:

63_389.jpg

femme-au-chien-marie-laurencin1.jpg

I particularly like her Spanish dancers
10036304A.jpg

***​

And this is for you, Jocelyne:

Yesterday, I discovered by chance in a newspaper that the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal was currently hosting a retrospective on John William Waterhouse, untitled "Le Jardin des Sortiléges" ("The Garden of Spells"... what a beguiling title!).

http://www.mbam.qc.ca/waterhouse/fr/

Waterhouse is considered as a kind of modern Pre-Raphaelite (he belonged to the next generation):

JWLadyOfShalott.jpg

john-william-waterhouse-gather-ye-rosebuds.jpg

Ophelia-Waterhouse-L.jpg

32203-waterhouse_boreas_small1.jpg

John_William_Waterhouse_Windflower.jpg

john_william_waterhouse_-_hylas_and_the_nymphs_1896.jpg

waterhouse_miranda_the_tempest.jpg

The exhibition is viewable till February 7th 2010. I envy you.

no, but this one may be mine soon, once I find out how much he charges for shipping to the Tundra.

stripper.jpg

Hey Hooch, did ya buy that painting? I was browsing the site and it says sold. I hope so, because that thing is awesome and I'm hoping it's hanging on one of your walls! The first time I was reading this thread, I didn't visit Sesow's site, but man, that dude has some rockin' stuff!

unfortunately, no. it was sold before he got back to me. I didn't look for another one yet, but now you've poked me out of my stupor, I'll get on that.

That's very cool, justine. thanks for sharing. my daughter it really into origami and i'll be showing that video to her.

we (my teenage son and i) just returned from new york city saw the kandinsky exhibition at the guggenheim museum while standing in line freezing our asses off before it opened i met a woman that flew in from los angeles to see the exhibit. not a rich woman, she was staying at the ymca. what an outstanding exhibit it an outstanding venue.

while in the city we also visited the MoMA where there was an exhibition of work by tim burton an unexpected suprise for my son, a huge fan of the man. burton is an amazing artist and incredibly prolific talent we also visited the Met.
here a few of the highlights of the weekend:
dali
dali-persistence-of-memory.jpg

van gogh
van-gogh-vincent-starry-night-79006831249351465.jpg

matisse
matisse91_450.jpg

wyeth
christinas-world.jpg

kandinsky
kandinsky1.jpg

And this is for you, Jocelyne:

Yesterday, I discovered by chance in a newspaper that the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal was currently hosting a retrospective on John William Waterhouse, untitled "Le Jardin des Sortiléges" ("The Garden of Spells"... what a beguiling title!).

http://www.mbam.qc.ca/waterhouse/fr/
The exhibition is viewable till February 7th 2010. I envy you.

Yes Ambreen, it is at at the museum at the moment.
My son has seen it. He stays that it was very beautiful. The museum's walls are painted black, so the paintings stand out.
After I deal with my doc's appointments, I'll be going. Thanks for thinking of me.

I'm with you on Hopper, HiddenFormula. his paintings always look like something just happened or is about to happen. there's a lot of suspense in his work, which I like. understated suspense, I guess you could call it.

^Yeah so true. When I look at them I get the sense of these invisible barriers around the characters seperating them from each other. So isolated and alone in their own worlds that they don't even see their surroundings.
I also like the ambiguity and intriguing of them - like a frozen snapshot from a film. I could sit looking at them for ages.

Looks like someone went to art school. All they churn out any more are illustrators. No one paints or sculpts anymore.

Yes Ambreen, it is at at the museum at the moment.
My son has seen it. He stays that it was very beautiful. The museum's walls are painted black, so the paintings stand out.
After I deal with my doc's appointments, I'll be going. Thanks for thinking of me.

Mariana in the south.jpg

You're welcome, my dear Black Swan!

They remind me of the hand and feet sculptures I was never able to successfully create with my late Seventies 'Replica' plaster-casting set. The jelly moulds just never set right.

I like this one DiB.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back