art & artists (1 Viewer)

See You...Local artist Joey Monsoon....
qn0n7d.jpg

They remind me of the hand and feet sculptures I was never able to successfully create with my late Seventies 'Replica' plaster-casting set. The jelly moulds just never set right.
The trick is to tie something around the base so the blood...oh...you said hands and feet. Never mind.

It wasn't one of those kits! :eek:

Besides, such a thing would never occur to (the much younger) me...

I love this work by Damian Michaels. You have to see a better scan to appreciate the detail. The original is like 3" x 4". If you blew it up, you would see serious detail. He must use a tiny rapidograph like Jordan has...

I just got the Damian Michaels book from Bottle of Smoke and am very impressed. You can see more of his artwork here. I highly recommend rushing (run, don't walk) over to http://bospress.net/order.html to purchase a copy of this beautiful little book before it's gone.

Slinkachu - this guy does street "installations" of tiny figures, photographs them, and then leaves them wherever he has posed them, to get stepped on or swept away. It would be pretty amazing to come across something like that on the street...though I would probably walk right by it.

We just got his book, Little People In The City, and it's great stuff.

slinkachu-2.jpg

slink-1.jpg

slink-2.jpg

slink-3.jpg

speaking of Damian Michaels, I have a small original of his I will have to find and scan, stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, here is a piece by an artist named Armando Romero I've been into lately:

artwork_images_1037_357521_armando-romero.jpg

I'm going to see a Ron Mueck exhibition this weekend.

Looking forward to it, but wondering if it will scare and confuse my 3 year old son.

ACE Gallery Los Angeles Presents:
Brand New Toilet Seat by BEMIS

OPENING RECEPTION:
Thursday Feburary 25th 2010
6:30 - 9:00 pm

5514 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, Ca 90036

"Propelled by the desires of comfort and ergonomics along with the noir aesthetic of the art deco 1920's comes this new work by Bemis entitled Toilet Seat (Black). Inspired by the Desmond's Department store building within which Ace Gallery is housed, this work fits seamlessly into the dedication of restoration and preservation so duly appointed by the building's original architects."

20338_488575060566_701080566_11030318_6367992_n.jpg

this is probably just a joke between the girl whose blog this came from and her friend who works at the gallery. But it is art and they are artists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice!

Matt is a unique and genuine artist. I've never seen anyone work as much as he does. And I live with an artist that works incessantly.

Slinkachu - this guy does street "installations" of tiny figures, photographs them, and then leaves them wherever he has posed them, to get stepped on or swept away. It would be pretty amazing to come across something like that on the street...though I would probably walk right by it.
Oh yeah - I have that book. Really great idea and he pulls it off to-the-t.

The other weekend I went to a great exhibiton of artwork (+poetry/music) of Billy Childish. Some great stuff there!

thumbnail.php
snowy_slope_large_tn.jpg
thumbnail.php
Childish-BC033-500.jpg

despair_WCtn.jpg
billycprint42thmb.jpg

His woodcuts are great: (there's way more here: http: )//www.billychildish.com/woodcuts_1.html)

image.jpeg
Justine, I thought of you when we pulled the trigger on our third Tibor Jankay painting on Wednesday. ;)
I just found this one...if interested let me know. In excellent condition..great colors..Old price tag on back but haven't found a signature yet..bought from a very reputable gallery..I will see if they have any provenance for it but clearly his work..l

This one is currently listed on eBay....

way late apologies to hoochmonkey. i didn't realize there was already an art/artists thread.

feel free to merge.

remove Balthus' painting because it's just a shitty painting
if this would be a reasonable reason, we'd have to re-do the century-old tyring discussions about what is good art or bad art and is there such a thing like "non-subjective taste". We don't want to go back there.

It's a bit like WITH BUKOWSKI:

After The Huntington accepted his work and after the City of LA named a bungalow-complex after him (we all remember the longgoing, dirty lawsuit that accompanied it, but STILL the City of LA did it) - it is NOT anymore a matter of personal taste, to find Bukowski an IMPORTANT writer.

It is - of course - a question of personal taste if YOU like him or his writing, but having him on the shelves with Shakespeare and Chaucer in The Huntington, there is no more denying of his importance as an artist.

So, I AM ALL AGAINST removing art from a museum, when the only point is, that one does not like it.

Last edited:
So, I AM ALL AGAINST removing art from a museum, when the only point is, that one does not like it.

absolutely, positively, 100 per cent couldn't agree with you more...unless it's late renoir...

absolutely, positively, 100 per cent couldn't agree with you more...unless it's late renoir...

Ha. Don't like him, eh?

Yeah, I read the article and the little person in me named "Ragey" poked her head out for a second. That kind of shit makes me angry, not just the censorship of art, but how tight people's hair buns get. As I scrolled down to look at the painting, I think about how smutty and disgusting these people's minds get when they look at all paintings and artistic photos of children when the artist probably meant something much more innocent than they're thinking. Their subjective mind, their response and understanding of what they see is what should be petitioned against.

I am glad that I read this article though because I did not know about Hanna Black (the art crit) posing for Dana Schutz's painting to be destroyed at the Whitney. Dana Schutz is one of my most favorite living artists. All her work is raw. She can paint Emmitt Till in a casket if she wants to. A white artist is not allowed to make artistic comments or expression about black suffering? Are you kidding me? I guess I'll have to burn some of my work too. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back