At the end of time new book from sunnyoutside press by richard krech (1 Viewer)

I read the first half of the book this weekend and I am fully reminded of why I enjoy Richard Krech's work so much: It's part Kerouac's SOME OF THE DHARMA, part LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, and part marching-in-the-streets-PROTEST. There's world history in it; there's such precise language; and there's this generous spirit moving just behind the lines. The travelogue portions of the book share something with Wm. Burroughs or H. Miller...even Basho...the reader sharing both small and dizzying moments in far-off locales. Richard really is a different writer than most in the small press...and it's most evident in his range, in the kinds of things he can write about. He's this wise and steady shaman with fierce moral insights into the best and the worst of the world. And reading Richard's work over the weekend, remebering why I enjoy it--I'd encourage anyone who enjoys the other writers mentioned above to try Richard's book. It's another gorgeous offering from sunnyoutside--and David McNamara's crisp, exacting design. And clocking in at a shade under 200 pages, it's a great way to jump head first into the deep end of Richard's work.

I read the first half of the book this weekend and I am fully reminded of why I enjoy Richard Krech's work so much . . .".

Thanks for the support Hosh; hope your feeling for this book continues thru to after you've finished the second half. David let me organize the chapters as I wished; they do not precisely follow the chapbooks from which they are taken and named, as I wanted to make the book an entire whole work that stands by itself - and not just a collection of poems from various chaps. After all, why not use my poetic license?

A tardy follow-up to this thread. Here's what I recently told Richard:

"There's this good feeling I have (maybe you do too) when I finish the last line in a book I've just enjoyed--be it poetry or prose or non-fiction--where I snap the thing closed and realize I am smiling, and shaking my head 'yes.' It means 'this is a book I will not get rid of...a book I will read again someday.' That's what happened when I finished At the End of Time."

Thinking back on the book as a whole: it's a whorl of Buddha nature, dusty yellow desert sands, lush gardens, and the slow and patient hand of justice in a hard-edged world. It's half shaman, half jester of the high court...which makes for a pitch perfect look at our histories, and ourselves. And considering the high-tide of greater human freedoms swelling in the Middle East, the book is not only prescient but damn near clairvoyant.

I read the book when it came out and loved it.

Then yesterday, my 1/26 hardback copy arrived it the mail! Really an amazing thing to behold.

Bill

I also just finished reading this one, and I wholeheartedly agree with Hosh and Bill. I've long been a fan of Richard's poetry because of its keen insight on the human condition. To that end, At the End of Time may be his collection so far.

My copy was also one of the 26 hardbacks. David at Sunnyoutside did a great job with the presentation of the book itself - clean, sturdy, visually stunning. I don't know how many of these are left, but I highly recommend picking one up if you haven't already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back