B cartoons: The Adventures of Clarence H. Sweetmeat (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
There are not many of these, but I will try to upload them all here.

Thanks, Digney ;)

lafreep751024hb8.jpg

Wow, They're just great! I did'nt even knew they existed. As Clarence Sweetmeat says, "Holy shit! These are neat!"
Thanks a lot, Cirerita! Keep them coming...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, yes, thanks Cirerita, thanks Digney in B.

same as the previous one: this was first published in the LA Freep sometime in 1975 and then published as Dear Mr. Bukowski a few years later.

lafreep750627jp4.jpg

Re Dear Mr Bukowski and The Day It Snowed in L.A. - it surprised me to see that the L.A. Free Press versions use the exact same drawings as the later separate editions. I wrongly assumed he would have redone them.

Ah, so this is the original Dear Mr. Bukowski! I wasn't aware of that. I thought the separate editions was the only one. Well, there's always something new to discover in Bukdom. Thanks a lot, c...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re Dear Mr Bukowski and The Day It Snowed in L.A. - it surprised me to see that the L.A. Free Press versions use the exact same drawings as the later separate editions. I wrongly assumed he would have redone them.
There was almost another illustrated "Adventures of Clarence Sweetmeat" story published by Black Sparrow, but I'm not at liberty to drop any details here as to the why or why-not of the thing. Suffice it to say he came up with at least one more Sweetmeat story that has never seen the light of day.

The point being, I suppose, that Bukowski was always writing, drawing, painting, and a lot of it is still out there to be discovered. The way this material is scattered around the world I have serious doubts as to whether a comprehensive collection or catalog of his output can ever be done. I just don't think it's possible. Even a comprehensive poetry collection...it just seems impossible.

I think the collective efforts here are as close as we'll ever get. But I'm glad we're accumulating a lot of it under the bukowski.net umbrella, and new bibliographies are still in the works.

There was almost another illustrated "Adventures of Clarence Sweetmeat" story published by Black Sparrow, but I'm not at liberty to drop any details here as to the why or why-not of the thing. Suffice it to say he came up with at least one more Sweetmeat story that has never seen the light of day.

I'm not gonna tell you where secretive stuff can be paraphrased, am I? :D :D

By the way, have you ever seen that mysterious, never-seen Sweetmeat story?

I'm not gonna tell you where secretive stuff can be paraphrased, am I? :D :D
Yeah, but it's not my story to tell. I'm not sure why a lot of things are not openly discussed, but if someone asks me not to pass along information, I have to assume they have good reason to do so, so that's the way it goes.

Maybe a printer told me about it, or one of those Black Sparrow employees who loved me so much. These aren't state secrets, after all. And we all know how much printers love to gossip. I mean, that's well established, right? Among all your printer friends?

Anyway, I suspect that when Mr. Martin shuffles off this mortal coil and goes wherever the Christian Scientists think they go, a lot of previously back-channel stories will be openly told, books written, etc. That's usually how it works.

But then we'll just be left with a lot of speculation again - who did what and why. Ideally Martin would write an honest autobiography and behind-the-scenes look at Black Sparrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back