Book giveaway (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Grove press sent me a couple of books to give away on the site; a soft cover of Charles Bukowski - Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life by Howard Sounes (I wonder what Uncle Howard would think of that), and a hardcover of the more recent, And the Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks by William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac. We were going to give them to whoever made the 60,000th post, but that zipped by days ago.

So if you want one of those titles, just post here to let us know which one you want, and in a few days we'll pick someone at random for each book. There are only two rules; the book has to be for you (if you already have it or want to give it away, let someone else here take it), and you have to have more than 50 posts under your belt. Sorry newbies.

can you put me down for the sounes? i'll post long sections of it when i get it, just to annoy uncle howard.

Well, I won a bag of groceries at the last town fair. Cheez-Whiz, Chips Ahoy and Dinty Moore, so maybe I'm on a streak. As they say, ya gotta be innit to winnit. Buk for me, please.

Cheez-Whiz, Chips Ahoy and Dinty Moore

As a Blues Brothers movie fan, Cheez-Whiz scores points with me. But Cheez-Whiz with Demi Moore - are we talking 'Ghost' era Demi, I mean - GOD - I'm salivating...

Oh, wait... my baAd.

The Kerouac\Burroughs book is... interesting... I've read bits and pieces of it at work at times when its been slow. I like it more than most Burroughs I've read, but I dunno yet how it stacks up to Kerouac.

But its interesting.

A guy I know translated hippos for a somewhat new Dutch press. They wanted to publish the book in the US, UK and Holland on the same day.

It's going to be chosen at random, so sympathy won't enter into it.

I will choose on Sunday and mail out the following week. Still time to throw your hat into the ring.

can you put me down for the sounes? i'll post long sections of it when i get it, just to annoy uncle howard.
I was going to give it away with all the photos removed, but hank solo convinced me that would be dumb, and I shouldn't ruin a perfectly good book for someone just out of spite.

He's right, of course. But come on, it would have been funny.

Or, you could go through it with a black marker and change ever appearance of the author's name to H***** S*****.

Who's going to win... Can I shake the hat a little?

We'll close the entries now. Let me figure out some way to choose a random number then I'll tell you who gets which book. I was going to have Carol pick a number but she's off at Ann Savage's memorial service, hobnobbing with the noir crowd.

Stand by.

Twice as many people threw their hats into the ring for And the Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks, so you only had a 1 in 10 chance of winning that one. Those who wanted Sounes had a 1 in 5 chance. Winners are:

Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
Gerard K H Love

And the Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks
Lolita Ginsoski

I used random.org to choose a number between 1 and 100. The list of names for each book were listed and repeated until the list reached 100 lines, for example:

Gerard K H Love
jordan
scribbler
slimedog
Rob
Gerard K H Love
jordan
scribbler
slimedog
Rob
Gerard K H Love
jordan
scribbler
slimedog
Rob
etc., etc., up to 100 lines.

Lottery results have been verified and certified by Buddy, who is an aging Border Collie. But he's a straight shooter. Doesn't go for any funny business.

Congrats to the winners, PM me your address and I'll get these out this week.

Obviously, The Border Collie favors the Corgi. Thank you mjp and Thank you Buddy!

I hope all of the faces are intact and not blocked out as suggested.

mjp, were you keeping a close eye on that dog? I think those dogs may have been in cahoots! Ahhh, America! ;) Congrats to the winners. Kurt, don't be surprised if you get an official letter from UNCLE, he just may want that book back!:)CRB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back