Bukowski: Born Into This (3 Viewers)

HenryChinaski said:
billyroberts is the highbidder once again.
i'm waiting untill he graces us with his presence on here.
or has he already...DUH DUH DUH
He may be lurking around. I told him about it some time ago.

I just got mine, and it's only one disc.....
Hope I'm not missing some deluxe version or something.
Can't wait to fire it up

May be time to start a new thread to talk about the movie, once more of you get a chance to see it. This thread is getting too long to follow...

Have you noticed the error John Martin makes in "Born into this"?
At one point he talks about "Ham on rye" and says that Buk went to the school prom with his head wrapped in toilet paper, so that no one could see his acne problem. But Martin remembers wrong. There's nothing about the toilet paper in "Ham on rye". But in the film "Crazy love" - loosely based on "Ham on rye" - there is a scene where the Buk character (Harry Voss) wraps his head in toilet paper before going to the prom. So Martin is getting the book mixed up with the film! - Go check for yourselves ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Details fly in and out, BF. He tells the same story a million times, and sometimes some insignificant thing comes and goes, like the toilet paper.

Good movie, by the by. A really good biography, although they left out Jane Conney Baker (or did they?) And I know there was more info. Like they didn't mention that he was into Sumo wrestling and sake in the end. And there was no fucking reasion for Bono to be in the movie. I mean, Penn was more a friend to Buk than Bono and it was Bono that got more screentime. And there was no interview with Harry Dean Stanton. Oh well. He was the best reader of them all. Fantastic biography, good movie.

Charlie, I agree with you. Bono should'nt be there. The only reason - I think- he's in the movie, is to give the it some "celebrety clout". Same thing with Tom Waitts. He did'nt knew Buk - as far as I know.
Sumo and sake? Where do you have that bit of information from?

I just rented the dvd. In my humble opinion, I think it was extremely well done. As far as Bono or Waits or anyone else being in it, what the f---!!?? "Celebrity clout"? this is a film about a great poet's life. And PLEASEEEE, at least it you are going to be critical over some ridiculous crap about celebrities, spell Tom Waits name correctly. He's up there with Bukowski, as far as I'm concerned.

hoochmonkey9 said:
I was on the Canadian Amazon site and you can pre order it with a release date of March 21, 2006.
So I did, of course.
I'm sure the U.S. release date is the same.

Yeah, my copy from Amazon got here on 3/21/06. This isn't the first time I've pre-ordered a DVD and Amazon mails them early enough that they actually arrive at your home on (or very near) the official release date. I really like Amazon!

Hank Solo,

Could you forgive a really newbie question but where does your quote come from?:

"What a stinking age. What a set of ass-lickers."

Quigley said:
Could you forgive a really newbie question but where does your quote come from?:

"What a stinking age. What a set of ass-lickers."

Its from a letter that Bukowski wrote... to Wm Corrington in Jan 1963.

jsanc said:
I just rented the dvd. In my humble opinion, I think it was extremely well done. As far as Bono or Waits or anyone else being in it, what the f---!!?? "Celebrity clout"? this is a film about a great poet's life. And PLEASEEEE, at least it you are going to be critical over some ridiculous crap about celebrities, spell Tom Waits name correctly. He's up there with Bukowski, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry if I pissed you of with my remark about Tom Waits being in there to add "celebrity clout" to the movie.I am not questioning his talent, just wondering why he?s in the movie. Lot?s of people like Buk and lot?s of people have had a father who liked bars, like Tom Waits father did. But that?s not a criteria for being in a movie. In my humble opinion there are many people better suited to appear. People who actually knew Buk. Girlfriends, poets, publishers etc. And by the way, I do like Tom Waits and Bono too...

Bukefan said:
..In my humble opinion there are many people better suited to appear. People who actually knew Buk. Girlfriends, poets, publishers etc...

If you read through the end credits of Bukowski: Born into this, you'll see a few names that where obviously interviewed, but for whatever reason, didn't make the movie. Some of those names are very interesting.

I wanted to ask John Dullaghan 'what did Ms L King have to say? what did Mr M Rourke have to say?' but I guess I'll never know...

hank solo said:
I wanted to ask John Dullaghan 'what did Ms L King have to say? what did Mr M Rourke have to say?' but I guess I'll never know...
Maybe he's saving those for the three disc Special Limited Edition Golden Classic Collector's Anniversary Edition. Or something. ;)

Then again, maybe he'll show up here one day and tell us when we'll get to see those...

Something tells me he's lurking. ;)

Come on out, John, and get your hero's welcome. Born Into This is an excellent film.

hank solo said:
If you read through the end credits of Bukowski: Born into this, you'll see a few names that where obviously interviewed, but for whatever reason, didn't make the movie. Some of those names are very interesting.

He said in the commentary that he didn't interview Rourke. Four or so years into the making of Born, he scheduled an interview with R for a Friday, and Dull had to quit his chance at getting a job just to make the interview. And when he got there, R was a no-show.

I haven't seen the doc as of yet, but in Bukowski Review #4 -the one edited by J.J. Smith- she kind of complains of being left out -together with many more- and being considered some sort of an "out-take".

by the way, she said something nice about me in the intro. of the Review :D

Born Into This (cigarettes)

I'm drinking red wine smoking cigarettes, it's 12pm. I'm 8/10 of the way throught Born Into This which arrived today. We had to stop it so I could smoke, I can only smoke in the computer room...

Anyway... my girlfriend is getting into Hank for the first time. She's all enthusiastic... Has anyone else seen this movie with someone who has not previously read or liked Buk?

G.

Well I haven't seen it with anyone who was unaware of Bukowski, but I can see how someone who never heard of him could watch it and be interested. It's a very well made documentary, and a well made documentary draws you in regardless of the subject.

grahamcooke said:
PS- Bono is a bit of a twat in the extras. I wish he'd stop mentionting God.

Bono mentioning God ? strange, I always got the impression that Bono thought he was God.

First caught Born Into This with four friends, two of whom had never read a word of Bukowski - but I believe the film certainly made an impression - course this was aided I'm sure by the fact that it was free entry and was shown in a bar - I kid you not:

http://www.cqaf.com/sound_02.html

bmcg said:
Bono mentioning God - strange, I always got the impression that Bono thought he was God.

There's the old joke-
What's the difference between God and Bono?
God doesn't go around the streets of Dublin thinking he's Bono.

G.

Yeah...it is interesting! It's too bad that my japanese is a bit rusty...:)

dear netflix,

you suck. where is my buk dvd? it was supposed to be here saturday. i'm going to be The Last Kid On The Forum to see this movie. please send it tomorrow.

*sigh*
~Melissa Sue

just finished listening to the directors commentary track on the dvd...
for those who haven't yet, go put it on...lots of info not in the doc, very well done. I've watched the doc 3 times now and I'm not bored...nice work, John... if you're lurking, as previously intimated in another thread that I can't seem to find right now (don't blame the wine, blame me), come on out, we have a lot to talk about...

Ever since watching Born, I've been thinking about those little Indian bidi cigs he's always seen smoking (at least I think that's what those are). Anyone know what his brand was?

We don't link to bootleg copies of commercially available things, sidrocket76, so I edited your post.

Well, things could slip by me here and there, so you guys can always private message me. Eventually we'll have a moderator or two to help keep things in order. But so far everyone has been pretty cool and there hasn't been much need for moderators.

Hi mjp,
I agree. Usually these sites have personality clashes with insults and bickering. It is great to see a forum that seems to get along so well.
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back