Bukowski-Society-Symposium and -yearbook (1 Viewer)

Falco is the only one keeping with the spirit here, although I heard that David was also in a rather festive mode.
Good to see you all! Thank you for the pics!

Wow, roni. Awesome pictures! I truly wish I could someday attend a Bukowski bash such as that. And Ambreen, is that Buk's typewriter I saw? And an unfinished poem still in it?

In his speech the house owner told a story about a group of Japanese suddenly stopping by and wanting to see the room where Bukowski was born, when he didn't even know yet who Bukowski was ;)
Maybe Yoko Shibata was one of them:

(I found this vid months ago but didn't know where to put it, so thanks for sharing this anecdote with us :D)

is that Buk's typewriter I saw? And an unfinished poem still in it?
I myself wondered about the typewriter, the mug and the ashtray but as I was alone when I took the pictures, there was no one to ask the question to; so I deduced from the absence of any caption that these were just three objects symbolizing Bukowski put here as pieces of decoration.

I truly wish I could someday attend a Bukowski bash such as that.
I looked in the dictionary for the word "bash" and I can tell you this Symposium unfortunately wasn't a big party. The attendants were few, a kind of little circle. I wasn't expecting to find as many people as in a Michael Jackson Symposium but I couldn't help being startled by the scarce number of attendants from Andernach; I thought that more of them would take part to such an event. But as Johannes diplomatically put it, there is no collective proud of living in the place where Bukowski was born. Anyway, we were not numerous but the whole thing was cool!

So I think it is a very good thing that especially you guys, Ambreen and David and Abel, came to visit the town (and hopefully will continue to do so).
And you too!

Maybe Yoko Shibata was one of them: (I found this vid months ago but didn't know where to put it, so thanks for sharing this anecdote with us :D)

Jesus. That's scary. What the hell is she doing there?

And you too!

Sure, but I don't have the sort of "exotic bonus" you guys bring along. The people there look at me and think I am another German, which, as we all know, is completely WRONG ... but what can I do.

The typer, the ashtray and the mug are decoration for sure, to symbolize the "Bukowski-feeling". This is a very German/Austrian typical beer mug, I would be surprised if Bukowski ever owned something like that or drank out of it.

Besides, we all know he just gulped it down out of dozens of bottles like a real man between screwing some whore and betting on the horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus. That's scary. What the hell is she doing there?
Yoko's too loud, you know how I HATE that; I'd gladly punch her to make her stop shouting like this.

Sure, but I don't have the sort of "exotic bonus" you guys bring along. The people there look at me and think I am another German, which, as we all know, is completely WRONG ... but what can I do.
The next time, just tell them it took you 7 hours by train to come there from Salzbourg and they'll all stare at you abashed. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Topic of my address were the similarities of Bukowski with Nietzsche and Schopenhauer.
Nothing new to you folks here, but most of the attendants didn't know much about it.

roni, is there any way to read this? i would certainly be interested, as i'm sure a few others would be too.
and thanks to you, ambreen, johannes and abel for the info and photos and etc...sounds like a great time.

roni, is there any way to read this?

HERE's a short abstract.

Maybe one day I'll have somebody translate it.

The address only gives a first insight. The subject would make for a whole book.

Attachments

• Schopenhauer-Nietzsche-Bukowski_abstract-in-English.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 368
you're welcome.
The whole thing is much more informative and FUN when I provide the matching quotes of the three. Didn't have the patience to find the proper English translations of the quotes I used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back