Bukowski-Society-Yearbooks (1 Viewer)

Hi All,
there've been several questions here and in private mails on how to buy the yearbooks of the Bukowski-Society.

It sure is no prob to send to the US, but doing this for every single person means (for this person) to pay on the shipping cost.
So I'd suggest, let's have a sort of collective order:

I'd package and address-label All orders, then put em all into one big pack and send to someone who'd agree to do the job to send them further inside the US. I think this gets much cheaper than ordering each one by yourself.

To pay the cost for shipping inside the US, I'd suggest, that either we split it so you'd pay me for the books and the other person for shipping or (much easier, I think) I'll recieve the price for both and transfer the money for shipping in One to the person who did the job. All this needs is, for this person, to ask at the local post-office for the prices and I'd multiply that with the numbers of orders and transfer the money for shipping the very moment I send the pack (which is way before I myself get the money - every buyer has 10 days to pay, After receiving the stuff!).

For details of possibilities let's talk.

Also I'd VERY MUCH appreciate, if the persons here, who Do know recent yearbooks could give some oppinions or suggestions to others / or answer possible questions, so they can easier decide if it's a worthy buy for them. (as I said in another thread, I might not be the most objective one to judge that.)

What I Can do to ease the decission, is to show the tables of contents.
You'll find em here:
http://www.bukowski-gesellschaft.de/div/yearbooks-contents.htm

guess, that's all for tonight.
Late here in G. Should sleep now. if only I could.
All Best!
roni

Also I'd VERY MUCH appreciate, if the persons here, who Do know recent yearbooks could give some oppinions or suggestions to others / or answer possible questions, so they can easier decide if it's a worthy buy for them. (as I said in another thread, I might not be the most objective one to judge that.)
I found the English section of the most recent edition to be interesting and informative.

I expect a lot of rehash at this point whenever reading about Bukowski, but I didn't get that in the yearbook. It was good stuff.

I found the English section of the most recent edition to be interesting and informative.

Charles Bukowski - the man in the room by Robert Sandarg.

Interesting topic. I was dissapointed this piece is only 5 pages. I'm spoiled.

Charles Bukowski - the man in the room by Robert Sandarg. Interesting topic. I was dissapointed this piece is only 5 pages. I'm spoiled.

Thanks and sorry it isn't any longer.
But I'll tell Bob, you liked that one. He'll be glad. If you like his style: his main subject is Buks relation to classical music. There's a detailed article by him from back in the 90s, at the moment we only have the German translation of which on our website, but maybe I'll scan the English original and post it here the next days. Also he held an address in 2004, where he gives news on the subject according to the posthumous books, which is printed in the yearbook of 2005 - and it is 17 1/2 pages.)

whats this is see about a dvd? i can't get the table of contents to pop up on this damn browser.

i'd like to get my hands on these things. if they're worth getting a hold of...that is.

whats this is see about a dvd?
In the last yearbook was added a DVD '10 Jahre Bukowski-Gesellschaft' (10 years of Bukowski-Society). It contains footage from the symposiums, the society held in Andernach:
There are parts of approx 5 minutes from addresses by Bob Sandarg, Gerry Locklin, Linda King, Jules Smith (to name the English speaking people) and others. Then there are parts (ca. 5-7 min) from readings and/or musical gigs. The third part is a mix from the evenings, sitting together, drinking, talking. A sequence in this one shows Gerry Locklin (with his daughter Vanessa) and Jules Smith again.
The DVD doesn't really serve as a documentary about the society, but it gives a little glimpse about the wide range of happenings on the symposiums.
i can't get the table of contents to pop up on this damn browser.
Try right-clicking on the links, then "save as" (or whatever your browser names it). After download you should be able to open the PDFs from your folder. (No Virus!)

I want to ask a guy named Michael Pillips or something to drop his 1996 yearbook contribution here. Because I find his article a child of bukowski.net.

o.k., guys. Since I promised, to post something from our yearbooks, but not been asked What to post, I decided to give One example of each of the yearbooks you find at the posted link ( http://www.bukowski-gesellschaft.de/div/yearbooks-contents.htm ).

For those who wanto download directly:
http://www.bukowski-gesellschaft.de/div/080-081_Buk_on_MM.pdf
http://www.bukowski-gesellschaft.de/div/_bjuk2005_092-099_Gerry Locklin.pdf
http://www.bukowski-gesellschaft.de/div/_bjuk2006_060-071_BENT-HAMER_interview.pdf

Since there seem to be not many more people interested the last days/weeks, I'm thinking about sending them single-by-single directly. Not sure yet. But the call for a collective sending will end here on March 9th definitely.

Already ordered copies will go out after that (but - be patient please - not via airmail but via ship).

Love, roni

Bju:k 2008

The yearbook of the Bukowski-Society for 2008 is out now!

BJUK2008.jpg

as usual, there's a large part in English!

you can order inside Europe and/or see the table-of-contents HERE !
(you may notice, there's - among many other things - the WHOLE MA-thesis of a certain Abel Debritto!)

for orders from outside Europe I'll have to calculate the real shipping-cost. If interested, eMail me: [email protected]

in the yearbook it's from page 56-110.
It definitely makes the biggest part of the book.

I am very proud to be able to offer it in full length.
Was some hard work to convince him, since he himself thought it might be too 'academic' or uninteresting/boring for the purpose.

Maybe he wants to talk about the matter himself? cire? ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's over 50 pages, and the topic sure sounds interesting.Thanks, Roni!

You know, I wrote that when I was a kid ;)

I'm not particularly proud of that piece. It was hastily written and it's a bit disjointed. Plus, Master of Arts and PhD dissertations are usually boring. They're meant to be dissections of a given topic, and ramblings and lively detours are not allowed. When a PhD is published as a book, authors tend to re-write the whole thing, and there's a good reason for that.

Still, that M.A. is not that academic, and there are a couple of ideas you might find interesting. I quoted extensively from Bukowski's work and interviews, and that made it a far more lively discussion.

Job well done Roni and Cire !

I really enjoyed Abel's thesis and liked the often use of the word " alienated " to
describe Bukowski's feelings.

yesterday, I received the coolest answer on the yearbook so far.

I felt like -- now, how would I descripe this?

I felt ...
like - like I reached my aim and did a decent job.

email by Robert Sandarg:

YES! The Jahrbuch arrived, and it is a BEAUTY! I am so proud to be a "faithful contributor" and will continue to be one in the future as long as you will print my articles. Truthfully, with this issue (and especially with Debritto's clear and informative MA thesis) the Jahrbuch has become A SERIOUS ALTERNATIVE INTERNATIONAL AND BILINGUAL LITERARY JOURNAL. And this is very important. Let us remember that it was the ALTERNATIVE - and NOT the mainstream -- literary journals which first brought Derridean deconstruction and Foucauldian poststructuralism to the American universities. And this is the same type of very vital role played by the Jahrbuch - bringing the NEW (Bukowski) to academe and to the people.

As you can see, I am very excited and PUMPED UP. You have turned out a MARVELOUS issue -- the BEST yet --and you should be congratulated for your efforts. You have made the Jahrbuch a FIRST-RATE publication!

Speaking of first-rate . . . there is some very good stuff in the new Portions From A Wine-Stained Notebook. The short story "Hard Without Music" is incredibly subtle and mysterious, with all sorts of delicate shadings. Things are not as they seem in this tale. It is one of the most refined prose works that Bukowski ever wrote. I'll have more to say about it later.

Anyhow . . . the Jahrbuch has made me feel GOOD, and I don't feel GOOD very often!

Later, BOB.

Bob nice words reminded me of something I hadn't thought for a long while. You know, I went to college and I hardly remember anything at all, but I do remember things from high-school. I had this great Philosophy teacher -who didn't? ;) - who used to repeat everyday that old motto by Horatio: "Dulce et utile." "Philosophy, my teacher said, should be 'dulce et utile', that is, both entertaining and useful."

The first words I jotted down when I began the MA -and now the dissertation- were "dulce et utile". When you're in an academic environment it is very easy to get carried away by their shitty nonsensical jargon, not to mention that you need 500 pages to illustrate a single idea. That's very discouraging. But, as B. used to say, there's always the tiniest little light at the end of the tunnel. You can meet their criteria and, yet, be "clear and informative."

Thank you, Bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back