Chance Press - A Common Thread (1 Viewer)

1fsh2fsh

I think that I think too much
Founding member
got it! my o' my.. picking at it slowly. savoring, like I'm told some do with wine... . a fine,fine piece it is. thanks guys...great job...

Got my copy today.

High quality poetry.
Beautiful endpapers.
Good title & a clear cover label.
The tipped-in screenprinted envelope
is magic. Too scared to open it, yet.

Justin & Jordan: Thank you for all the love
you've put in this first publication of Chance Press.
My father was a bookbinder, if he still would have been
alive, I would hand him A Common Thread
and he would have smiled.

I got my copy today. Great title. I like the texture of the cover and the cover label is beautiful with the pattern around the the title. The green thin endpapers are the icing on the cake, together with the screenprint envelope and it's content. I love the different kind of paper the signatures are written on. Some are real nice and some are real funny (if I ever need a surgical sponge f.ex., I now know where to look :D). That envelope was a great idea.
I'm looking forward to start reading the poems in the weekend.
It's a great first publication for Chance Press! Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my copy last week. The two of you are off to a very good start. A beautiful book and the binding solution worked out very nicely.

Looking forward to more titles.

got mine.

it's a beautiful deal, lovingly done.

great design, but it doesn't overpower the words.

many excellent poems, and a great intro.

be proud, j&j.

Well I don't know about RSS feeds, but I do know A COMMON THREAD is a pretty damn fine publication! Got mine in the mail & love the cover stock--it's almost alligator skin! Terrific stuff from J&J[USA].

glad you like it!

just a little warning, though: we LOVE that cardstock, but we've also discovered that it can mark quite easily. if you have mylar or brodart or similar i'd recommend making a protective cover for it.

Got mine. It is beautiful... Absolutely gorgeous. I do really love the cover. But the words inside... are wonderful. I have to say I am very very Honored to have been picked to be apart of this. I blush to think that my poetry is along side some really excellent poets who I very much admire.

Justine and Jordon your 1st is a beauty you should be incredibly proud. You both have done really fine work.

Thanks again for allowing me the pleasure of being apart of this.:)

Yes - this is where the thread gets all repetitive :)

I really should have just copy/pasted strangegirl's comments, but it's a beautiful piece of work in both form and content. There are some outstanding poets on this forum. Glad to be a part.

Wow! I know this is going to be a bit repetitive but I must say without a doubt J&J hooked me up. There is no way I can thank them enough for the special treatment I got from them for my meager contribution to this wonderful book. I am also honored to be in such greater company of finer writers as there are there in The Common Thread.
The package arrived after a morning of sleeping in. It was that pleasant and comforting.

Got my copy today! It's beautiful. Used my special long-nosed tweezers to carefully extract the signed slips from that cool envelop. And the poems are good. I didn't need tweezers for them.

Did I really provide that long bio? My god, it's probably got more words than the poems themselves. Sorry about that.

I was delighted to see the double signature binding. Nicely done. I think that's the first such publication I've been in. Now watch, someone will remind me that I've been in dozens of magazines and chapbooks with such bindings.

A fine start for Chance Press.

It is such a beautiful made, great book!

I got it in the mail today, slightly hungover (cliche) (but true) I awoke at 11.32 and had to be in town at 13.00, jammed something to eat into me and run out of the door, checked the postbox out of reflex and there it was! My worked-out plan was to knack a beer in the evening and slowly go through it, celebrating, but that all went to hell when first I had to touch it (covers, etc.) than I had to glance and finally couldn't stop reading but couldn't stop to read either :) ... so I ran down the street, book in hand, people glancing at the title and me almost crashing several street lamps. Now it's lying next to me as I type this.

Thank you very much for all your work, J'n'J! I am truly proud to be in it.

Atlas by Stephen Hines, is so far one of my favorites. I need to read all of the poems a couple of times each to get them. JJ Smith does some nice work as well.

The introduction was the perfect thing to read to my wife to try to get her to better understand why I am on here so much. But, out of a still somewhat closed mind about this she asked," which type are you?" -if you haven't read the intro then this means nothing to you, sorry.

i actually specifically requested 'atlas' from steve for this anthology, since it's a long-time favourite of mine, too.

i still think the line about her legs being spread like a map is one of the best similes i've ever read.

So true and that is but just a small taste of the writing of the great and distinguished Stephen Hines. Great line, a very great line in deed. Right now.

Received my copy in the post this morning. I must say it's a delightfully crafted little book. If 'A Common Thread' is anything to go by, then one thing is for sure - Chance Press has a bright future.

Received my copy in the post this morning. I must say it's a delightfully crafted little book. If 'A Common Thread' is anything to go by, then one thing is for sure - Chance Press has a bright future.
Got mine yesterday -- spectacular job, J & J! How cool to see my poem sandwiched between Hosh and Purple Stickpin. And the production on it, obviously a labor of love. Great poems all around, the usual quality stuff from Barker, Phillips and Father Luke and Johannes and Mr. Gerard H K Love. I spent most of last afternoon and evening just enjoying it ... thank you so much. Glad to be a part of it. :D

so nice to see all the love on this thread for our book; i've also received a bunch of really great emails. thanks to everyone here for your support - we literally couldn't have done it without you, and we wouldn't have wanted to. for obvious reasons, we wanted buk.net to be part of our first venture into the small press world, and it really has been a great success: sure, we've had setbacks and delays and all manner of problems (but i think we were only kidding ourselves when we thought this would be easier) getting this project off the ground, but we've learned a ton of stuff (more than i thought possible), and for sure we know our next projects will only be better and better. we're so proud of this first effort, though - it's everything we hoped it would be (except for the goddamn warping of the back cover due to too much glue on the envelopes. it was a late discovery that we should have just glued one edge, not the whole thing. oh well.).

i would, however, like to see more discussion of the poetry here. the stuff in this collection is - in my opinion - absolutely fantastic. johannes, gerard, buzzcat, and digneyinburnaby are the first ones that come to mind - dark horses who i wasn't expecting to receive submissions from, but whose work i loved. also really loved the poems from justin.barrett - really intimate narratives that i wasn't also wasnt' expecting, given what i know of his work.

got mine today.
can only add what's been said before: BEAUTIFUL !!!

I'm glad I ordered more than one copy, so I can keep one in perfect condition and read another one. Which I will do later this evening.

LOVE!

It is such a beautiful made, great book!

I got it in the mail today, slightly hungover (cliche) (but true) I awoke at 11.32 and had to be in town at 13.00, jammed something to eat into me and run out of the door, checked the postbox out of reflex and there it was! My worked-out plan was to knack a beer in the evening and slowly go through it, celebrating, but that all went to hell when first I had to touch it (covers, etc.) than I had to glance and finally couldn't stop reading but couldn't stop to read either :) ... so I ran down the street, book in hand, people glancing at the title and me almost crashing several street lamps. Now it's lying next to me as I type this.

Thank you very much for all your work, J'n'J! I am truly proud to be in it.
Echoes, echoes ... too beautiful for words, and Johannes, your poem "A silence artist" is one of the most brilliant lights of all. The way you took the idea behind Kafka's "A hunger artist" and made it your own in this poem -- I was blown away. But I can say that about so many of the poems in this book, not a clinker in the bunch. I've been proud to be in various magazines, but this and Jan's Buk Scene goes beyond proud ... I am honored.

You guys really send my head blowing through the ceiling, which does the ever hungry fat and soft crying kid in me no good at all. Still: Thank you for jump starting my day!

I want to have the book by my side (which I don't have now) to provide more elaborated criticism, but right away I can say that I liked roni's very much. I think I know this girl too he is writing about :)

... I think I know this girl too he is writing about
don't we all?
:-))

was sitting in my small café in the evening and reading.
Not in the given order though.
Also, I didn't only read, but from time time just Had to hold it in my hands and look at it: the front, the back, the envelope, the colophon, the end-papers, the binding, all these wonderful, familiar names ...

So far one of my favorites seems to be Hosho's 'We cannot breathe...'.
But then - I still haven't read even one third of it.

And to start discovering the envelope's insides with all these tiny pieces seemed way to dangerous at that moment. I'll keep this for later adventures.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, the review I wrote for Chiron Review that I posted earlier and now cannot find ... it's officially been accepted by Michael Hathaway from Chiron and he will be publishing it in his fall issue. It's a way off, but I do hope it gets us some attention.

Got my copies today. And, as per usual (and not really a good way to go about things), sat down and read it in one go. Beautiful package, great poems. Need to reread again (and again) for some things to stick but Kim's 70 mph, Gerard's walked the earth, Joan's 1972 come to mind at the moment.

Pulled out all those weird signatures. Had a laugh or two or three.

Thanks, Jason, thanks, Justine. A lot of work coming together in a fine package. You two really should be proud.

I thank you a whole bunch. (And more than that even.)
Brian

jason will hopefully be involved as a printer in some of our future projects, but his main contribution to this one was steering justine toward a binding book that gave her the idea for how to sew the two signatures.

the confusion with the j's is pretty common, actually :D.

pick your poison... first edition, second edition, or lettered edition. (more pics of the lettered edition will be posted once the books are fully completed.)

3605283635_4a375e6d29.jpg

received mine safe and sound. after reading it i only have one thing to say...WTF NO RHYMERS?!?
seriously, great job justine and jordan, really a beautiful little book and i enjoyed the poems alot. won't name favorites don't want to leave anyone out. the intro wasn't bad either.
congrats - great first of hopefully many more.

:eek: wow. that was fast!

Just received the book today and half way through it as I write this, excellent job you've done. Got a kick out the the signatures too. Thanks J&J and to all of the contributors from buk/net, classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back