Chance Press - A Common Thread (1 Viewer)

:eek: wow. that was fast!

Just received the book today and half way through it as I write this, excellent job you've done. Got a kick out the the signatures too. Thanks J&J and to all of the contributors from buk/net, classic.

that WAS fast - we only posted it saturday! glad you're enjoying it.

the signed second edition has completely sold out.

we currently have no unsigned trade copies sewn up, but if people are interested they should email me this week and let me know: after i sew up a few more of these, that'll be the end of it (at least for the foreseeable future). these ones are time-consuming to make and we've got several other projects we need to get started on.

I know I'm a bit late now with this, but when I opened the envelope and spread all the autogramms on the table, there were many I couldn't read. (including my own if I wouldn't know it's mine)

Is there a way to post a kind of list of which autograph belongs to whom? Maybe you made pictures of these? or you could scan them from your own editions - or I could scan them from mine - and you'll point to the authors from there...

Well, I got my copy of "A Common Thread" over the weekend. All I can say is, I'm so mad at myself for not getting it sooner! I wish I would have picked up the first edition, the signed edition! The book is beautiful. Read just about half the poems last night, and will finish the other half tonight!

Great work, awesome!

there are, i think, maybe 3 or 4 of the 2nd edition left: unsigned, $12. after they're gone, we won't be doing any more (well, not in the foreseeable future) - too busy sorting out new projects. plus, if these ones haven't sold soon we're gonna send them to a brand new chapbook store that's opened in missouri.

maybe in a year or so we'll do another call for subs from buk.net members and put out a second volume.

Hey -

May I request some details please, on the Missouri chapbook store. Sounds intriguing. Is it a co-op between different indie presses ? Or more of a J&J operation ? Where is it located and what are the submission guidelines ?

I have some family in Missouri and would get a kick out of seeing this place if I could.

there are, i think, maybe 3 or 4 of the 2nd edition left: unsigned, $12. after they're gone, we won't be doing any more (well, not in the foreseeable future) - too busy sorting out new projects. plus, if these ones haven't sold soon we're gonna send them to a brand new chapbook store that's opened in missouri.

maybe in a year or so we'll do another call for subs from buk.net members and put out a second volume.

Hi,
A word of warning. In my experience, most small bookstores will not pay you for your books. Selling them on consignment just lets them have time to sell them before they stiff you. I have been burned almost every time over the last 6 years. It is not their fault, but the fact is that brick and mortar bookstores are having a TOUGH time. They have a choice: pay the big distributor's invoice and keep getting new best sellers, or pay you. They ALWAYS pay the other guy. I will no name names on this forum, but you will be surprised. What I will tell you is that Full Time booksellers like Maser and Water Row have ALWAYS paid me and paid quickly. Universities are also good for paying their bills, but getting in with them can be tough.

I have a trail of bookstores all over the country that have not paid me. Some of them owe me hundreds of dollars and I cannot get them to reply to my e-mails.

I always say that if you are selling on consignment, consider it a donation. If you ever get paid, consider yourself lucky.

Bill

p.s. Dutton's Brentwood was the ONLY bookstore that always paid me. They closed their doors about a year ago.

p.p.s. This is the store that Justine mentioned, I think.... http://stirruppants.blogspot.com/

dave, the store bill mentioned is the one. at this point, we realise that we won't make any money on consignment, but we also need to get our name out there. right now, we just don't have a big enough market. the buk.net collection did well because so many people here were curious to see the writing of their friends and acquaintances; the serafini chap did well because so many people wanted serafini ephemera; steve's SHOULD be selling well because he's a great poet, but our market right now does not extend much beyond buk.net. we've given a lot of books away in the process of promoting ourselves, i think it's just a given for a new press like ours.

well, a common thread is officially out of print... we sold the last of the copies today, and given the amount of projects we have going on, i just can't see either of us amassing the motivation to make any more of these, so it's time to put this baby to bed. we didn't actually keep track of how many 2nd editions there were, but i think it was somewhere around 25, between the signed and unsigned editions (which actually makes it rarer than the 1st edition, especially considering the fact that we used three different kinds of paper for the covers).

so, chance press hits a milestone - this is the first book that has completely sold out all the editions we made. thanks to everyone who bought a copy, submitted poetry, gave us encouraging words, etc. happy birthday indeed!

Sorry to be so late!
Last night was very humid. I was sleepy but felt restless. I picked a small book from a shelf, 'A Common Thread' by Chance Press and read it aloud, which is something that I often do when I am alone. I thought to myself, what a great collection 0f poems, a tough little book! I had forgotten all about it, even some of you as writers. I finished the book by reading the biographical notes and fell asleep. This morning, words, names, cities and jobs were still floating by. 'Hands' by Hines, the man up the tree by Johannes, Roni's love poem, Joan as a go-go dancer, Hosho's, Purple Stick's infatuation at the market ect...
But I was wondering what was a 'cotton blower'. I went through the contributor's list where I had read that it was mjp's occupation. I realized that I had been dreaming this last one.
Any way, all these words to say that Chance Press had done a good job with their first publication. I also enjoyed looking at everyone's signature, one by one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back