Classical Music Anyone? (1 Viewer)

I have the same frustrations. I can remember many tunes, not knowing who's who. I have been dreaming of a program where you could sing a few notes in a speaker and a finder would identify your tune. Maybe something called Youtune. Maybe it already exists.

A half-dozen or so years ago at an Estate Sale I bought a huge stack of classical lps for 99 cents, they were selling some deadperson's records by the yard, and somebody had bought up all the jazz and rock but nobody was taking the classical so I figured that I coolect records and sometime in my life I would be appreciative of buying a couple hundred classical albums for a buck so I bought a bundle that was tied up in twine and then it sat in my closet for years and now I finally broke them out because of Bukowski and his whole classical music thing and all the albums are in great shape, lots of Debussy and Dvorak and Mahler and Charles Ives and some Eastern European folk/ethnographic recordings and lots of high quality Duetsche Grammaphone recordings and even some old opera/Maria Callas stuff.

Loving this music now, know nothing about it but it's good background or mood music for writing or drawing or plotting evil ways to get back at people. It's a nice change. Even if I'm only in the mood for it occasionally I raise a scotch to the old man or woman who collected all these albums, they are living on with somebody who appreciates them.

great glenn gould concert from 1960 - emperor concerto

[This video is unavailable.]

Famous shit but this is how I got introduced into classical music.
Actually, I read Les Mandarins when I was an adolescent and
she mentioned the piece in the novel and how much she and her
platonic lover enjoyed listening to this brilliant piece.

And no, they didn't use the music in Jaws nor in Tom & Jerry.

Part 1

Last Thursday I was at an OSM concert in Montreal and heard this violist Hilary Hahn, performing Prokofiev. She followed with a Bach concerto for violin which was brilliant.

Yesterday, I had 2 tickets to the concert. Kent Nagano was directing the OSM.
The first part was Mozart's Overture to the magic flute, then Violin Concerto No.5, then K. 219.
The second part was Anton Bruckner' Symphony No.3.
I didn't know Bruckner but thought that I knew someone who probably did.

help wanted and received

I'm stale sitting here
at this typewriter, the door open on my
little balcony when suddenly there is a roar in the sky,
Bruckner shouts back from
the radio and then the rain comes down glorious and violent,
and I realize that
it's good that the world can explode this way
because now
I am renewed, listening and watching as
droplets of rain splash on my wristwatch.
the torrent of rain clears my brain and my
spirit
as
a long line of blue lightning splits
the night sky.
I smile inside, remembering that
someone once said, "I'd rather be lucky than good," and I quickly
think, "I'd rather be lucky and good"
as tonight
as Bruckner sets the tone
as the hard
rain continues to fall
as another blue stark of lightning
explodes in the sky
I'm grateful that for the moment I'm
both.
CB
pg129, The Flash of Lightning…

Last edited:
[...] Anton Bruckner' Symphony No.3.
a fine work. it was dedicated to Richard Wagner.
Bruckner's success was never even close to Wagners or Brahms'. He was always in the second row. But I love his symphonies, which are very powerful. (the unfinished 9th is a sure bet.)

Gustav Mahler once claimed, Bruckner was "half genius, half retarded", meaning he was a genius in music but not savvy enough to sell his genius properly or even act successful in society.
I'm all for Bruckner.

This Thursday, I went to hear a live concert directed by Kent Nagano in Mtl.
It started with Wagner followed by Shoenberg and Shubert's Symphony no.8 , a symphony that was never finished and which I loved.

I've been listening to some classical, I always thought it was snob music, but then I listened to Beethoven and now I have all his symphonies (I think I need to kind of break out of Bee symphonies a bit, been listening probably far too much) I have a few by Fricsay, Karajan, Toscanini, Cluytens, Carlos Kleiber, Chailly, Furtwangler. I have a bit of Sibelius (Karajan) a bit of Brahms (Karajan again), a Dvorak 9th (Fricsay). I'm thinking about getting into some Bartok.

Well anyway, I've never had more goosebumps, and throat lumps, and tears in the eyes since listening to classical. Friscay's horns in Bee's 9th 3rd movement always get me welling up, it's almost like hearing Beethoven's voice somehow. And that funeral march in the Eroica usually has me in pieces. Great stuff.

a fine work. it was dedicated to Richard Wagner.
Bruckner's success was never even close to Wagners or Brahms'. He was always in the second row. But I love his symphonies, which are very powerful. (the unfinished 9th is a sure bet.)

Gustav Mahler once claimed, Bruckner was "half genius, half retarded", meaning he was a genius in music but not savvy enough to sell his genius properly or even act successful in society.
I'm all for Bruckner.

In the writing world, W. H. Davies (the tramp poet) once wrote:

“This man has talent, that man genius
And here's the strange and cruel difference:
Talent gives pence and his reward is gold,
Genius gives gold and gets no more than pence.”

Sounds like Bruckner was the genius then.

Nagano was the director in the Frank Zappa doc 'Eat That Question', when Zappa's music is being played by a symphonic orchestra. If I remember well, Zappa had hired and paid the orchestra himself for the experience. If was great!
Young Nagano then, spectacular!

Last night's entire program at the OSM. Started with Ravel, then Rachmaninov and ended with Rimski-Korsakov.
Shéhérazade was the theme, the girl who tamed the murderous king by telling him stories for a 1000 and one nights, the Arabian Nights.
I was thinking of Bukowski listening to his favourite pieces on the radio and tried to imagine all the funky people coming in and out of his life while the orchestra played.

psychology of "concert coughing"

when i listen to live classical music i'm always struck by the amount of unrepressed and obnoxious coughing especially during the quiet parts so i googled it and some found articles about it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...lassical-concerts-research-finds-8471735.html

http://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/Article/331783,do-classical-audiences-cough-on-purpose.aspx

and here's audio of keith jarrett stopping a concert - because of the coughing - to talk to the audience about it. doesn't go well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back