Classical Music Anyone? (2 Viewers)

That audience waited longer than I would have to tell him to fuck off.

His clueless, tight-assed jazz preciousness is only surpassed by the preciousness of the nerds making the recording..."I knew what you were doing. Um hm. Yes. I knew. Um hm. We knew. We get it." Ha ha ha.

I was at the Newport Jazz Festival in '90 or '91 (memory going...) and Gerry Milligan stopped playing to glare at a plane flying overhead. Meanwhile, that same afternoon, Miles Davis kept playing, but took one hand off his trumpet to wave at another plane flying by.

I don't remember anyone coughing.

I liked Glenn Gould in Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice and M*A*S*H, but I've never heard his records.

But seriously folks...it's funny, isn't it, how sometimes a collection or set like that can seem like an obvious thing to do but no one ever does it. You got lucky this time and they did.

That's gorgeous, even though it isn't within my prize-range.

but I've never heard his records.
I have 3 Goldberg-recordings of his' on CD:
His infamous 1955-rec as well as his late 1981-recording (which I dig more) and even his live-in-Salzburg version (was that 1959?).
Also several others like the 'Art of the Fugue' and something by Scarlatti.

Glenn Gould was nothing less than a genius on Bach.
But he had not the slightest sense for the romantic era of classical music. He even didn't understand Beethoven.
But concerning the Baroque-era: there's no one above him.

There's a full-length movie about him from, I think, the early 90s.
Title should be something like '32 short-films about Glenn Gould' (a nod to the Goldberg-variations).
Highly recommended!!

Last edited:
  • 20170910_225404.jpg
  • I've enjoyed this 3 cd set forever.
  • He writes: "The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but rather the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity."

Last edited:
yeah it's really interesting to be able to watch what his hands do. he exchanges fingers to sustain a note and
strikes the keys at different depths as well as sliding them up as he plays for different tonalities.

there's an anecdote that - he was notoriously finicky about pianos and drove the steinway guys crazy - he was
testing pianos and told them one had a narrower keyboard than most. they said no but measured it and it was
something like and eighth of an inch narrower than the standard.

don't get me started! ?

another anecdote is that he even took his stool to sit on while playing with him on the journey (when he was still giving concerts) for no other stools did him right.

yeah he never played anywhere without it. even when it got to this point.

i sometimes wonder if he ever crossed paths with bob dylan at columbia.

now that would be some photo...

Last edited:
Has this article been seen here?

I don't know, but I certainly hadn't seen it before. Thanks a lot for posting it. I've been wanting to listen to some of the classics since I began reading Bukowski but it always struck me as daunting task. I never knew where to start, what with all those symphony numbers. What were they thinking? The article seems to condense some of the pieces he frequently talks about in detail. I'll check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back