Drinking Alone in bars/clubs? (2 Viewers)

I can't drink with people. I wonder if Bukowski is the same way. There is certain mental state that I like being in and hanging around "friends" in a bar just doesn't suit me. I love to just go to some random bar and have a drink. I normally meet at least 1-2 new people.

If you go with people you already know, you end up with the same conversations and frustrations.

Me, I like to go solo. It is almost like an adventure.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I also try to bring my laptop to do a little writing.

galtor, you sound like something of a loner. I can relate. There's more the spirit of adventure going to a bar alone - and you're right: it's easier to meet people: anything can happen and there's the spontaneity of the moment. If I'm with someone who likes to drink, especially a good wine, it can make the difference if I want the company of a friend. You can always drink if you're not in the mood to talk. Or you can gawk at the females without inhibition. Sometimes I'll take a notebook if I feel like jotting things down, or I'll watch others to see what I can pick up. How Bukowskian this all is, is for others to decide, but it seems obvious that he drank alone on many occasions either in a bar or in his own company. When he recorded some of his poems, he would be alone and drinking at the same time - a nice form of self-entertainment. The thing is to somehow keep it fresh. Go alone, or go with friends as the mood dictates. I watched the Olympics in a rowdy bar with a big screen and enjoyed joking with Holly the Barkeep. I'd order the same damn thing every night because it was cheap but tasty, and the routine became something of a running joke full of good feeling. She had a nice build too. It's not always the drinking that matters: sipping a Pellegrino with lemon can be just as enjoyable; it's the feeling of relaxation behind it and escaping the crush of everyday reality. Good luck.

I don't think Bukowski had a laptop.

Bukowski was not always a bar person.

I was a bank drinker.
I sat on the river bank to drink.

My laptop is a pen and paper.

I met Betty Rubble, and Wilma Flintstone in a bar.
I met Chuck Berry in a Chinese food restaurant.
He didn't know how to use chopsticks, so he used a
little, while, plastic fork.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Father Luke

i don't know, gerard.

i think you would know the answer to that question better than i.

right?

eh?

amirite?

This is an old post but I thought I'd write anyway. I drink alone most often than not and I don't give a damn about social drinking. You're an alcoholic if you drink alone? Bullshit, so sue my ass. Social drunkards annoy me so I choose to go on my own drinking adventures. I'm more of a writer that prefers drinking while writing and alone, with my comp and my brain. I've gone to many a bar by myself after I found my friends to just get boring and erratic drinking with together. Call me antisocial, sure, I'am actually, but when I'm by myself I get into all kinds of adventures with people I wouldn't normally talk to because I'd have annoying friends distracting them and me. I found that women are actually less disarmed by a single guy rather than a pack of guys swarming in on them. I've gotten quite a few numbers. Had a few one night stands, had a few cool friends for a little while, but hey, they all burn out in the end. But the fun is the adventure of not knowing what you're going to get into. I don't know, its for me, but it sure ain't for everybody.

The friends I've had...

(snip)

welcome CoffinDodger.

we have a policy of no member poetry, so your post was edited. no reflection of the quality or lack thereof, whichever may apply.

enjoy the boards.

This is an old post but I thought I'd write anyway. I jerk off alone most often than not and I don't give a damn about social wanking. You're a pervert if you wank alone? Bullshit, so sue my ass. Social wankers annoy me so I choose to go on my own wanking adventures. I'm more of a writer that prefers wanking while writing and alone, with my comp and my brain. I've gone to many a bar by myself after I found my friends to just get boring and erotic tossing together. Call me antisocial, sure, I'am actually, but when I'm by myself I get into all kinds of adventures I wouldn't normally because I'd have annoying friends distracting me. I found that women are actually less disarmed by a single guy rather than a pack of guys wanking on them. I've gotten quite a few restraining orders. Had a one armed man, had a friend for a little while, but hey, they all burn out in the end. Butt fun is the adventure of not knowing what you're going to get into. I don't know, its for me, but it sure ain't for everybody.

Funny, that's how I read it ;)

I hate clubs personally. I live in a college town and all the clubs are filled with is pretentious frat boys. The bars aren't so bad but I go very infrequently for three reasons:
1. It's cheaper to drink at home,
2. The music I play is way better, and
3. I don't have to drink and drive or pay for a cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is a sperm whale....

Thank you. Please, your applause is embarrasing me.

Bill, I was thinking maybe we could go with a spunk binding (who needs PVA when you can go natural). I'll get the manuscript to you once I can get the pages unstuck.

"Th'ar she blows!"

@bospress.net If I was going to write about Richard Melville Hall I'd at least have to buy him a drink first ;)

@Angeleyes619 I totally agree with you Angeleyes. Its better for your own economy, and your own sound system experience. Drinking alone is 1uite possibly the best experience ever.

I hate clubs personally. I live in a college town and all the clubs are filled with is pretentious frat boys. The bars aren't so bad but I go very infrequently for three reasons:
1. It's cheaper to drink at home,
2. The music I play is way better, and
3. I don't have to drink and drive or pay for a cab.
I agree with you. I don't know if you go on this site anymore... however, this problem is solved for my husband and myself because
1) right now we live next to a bar
2) the bartender is our "friend" and plays our music
3) we're moving to Las Vegas and drink for free there because we play horses all day everyday. :D

Mostly, I like the bar scene if it's a quiet bar and they don't blast music in your ears because it went outta style.

vodka, (Hi Jen :]). Fer shit women don't drink in bars alone. When they're married they shouldn't, but when they're single... why the hell not?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm here. Alas, when I lived in Los Angeles I was out and about cauisn havoc everynight. I'm considering joining a local lodge so that I can drink and smoke my cigars and not be bothered with the whole "Meat Market" saga.

And when you live alone, sometimes you drink alone. Not only in the larger metaphysical sense, but also in the one-room bachelor apartment sense. And not just on the weekends !

By the way, is anyone looking for some urine-stained, shredded furniture that has all the tabby hairs combed out ? (I promise.)

Cheers

^Dave, yes. But I doubt you'll bring it all the way to NV :p.

Speaking of drinking alone amongst other people (I forget who posted that, it was the guy before Dave...). Just mentioning... was walking down the street really late last night with Ken and found a new bar that just opened up, Irish place, "Bat Shea's". We peaked inside and it was so small, but nice-small, not shitty-small. But nice-dive-small, not shitty-dive-small. Anyway. It was the perfect bar. No loud, blaring, "can't hear you" music, just a few nice folks, mainly Irish (the owner told me when he stepped out for a smoke) or half Irish at least (the owner was a half and half like me! .5 guinea, .5 mick), sittin' around talking, you could hear a clink of a glass now and again, a laugh here and there, and there was one random Philippino guy playin' violin! It was almost hysterical - with his mick buddies no less, lol. I asked the owner, "are youse all Irish?" And he said, "Aye, literally e'erone here's Irish 'cept the Phillipino guy." We laughed and laughed.... I think they were doing a rendition of "As Tears Go By" - Stones. Awesome little place. We're gonna stop in tonight if we sell some shit. (no we're not drug dealers. shit in the house. i mean in the bathroom. i mean we're selling shit in the house. STUFF. we're selling stuff in the house. i haven't been to bed yet. michael go fuckyourself beforehand to save me the effort later for when you pick on me....mnnn....NOW.)

Didn't Buk once say he hated people? I thought that's why he liked being alone. Even when he went to the track, he was alone among other people.

i saw in an interview that he wanted to be very clear that he didn't hate anybody. rather, people disgusted him and he avoided them whenever possible. i drink at home. it's what makes it possible for me to plough through my piles of poems and edit them and figure out which ones to blog. the writing goes fine but the editing and blogging takes wine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back