Excerpt From Women Collected in "The Dreaded Feast" (1 Viewer)

LickTheStar

Sad Flower in the Sand
The Dreaded Feast

I picked up a copy of this despite the fact that I own the books that both the Bukowski and HST pieces are collected from. There's some good collected essays in the first 50 pages or so that I've read... It just seems strange to collect something from Women... sure, its related, but... still.

But for $16, I'm enjoying myself. A good intro from PJ O'Rourke, a nice piece from Jonathon Ames... and I've never felt 100% comfortable with Christmas, so I find a lot to nod in agreement with here. If you find yourself both obsessively and compulsively collecting anything Bukowski like me... here's another one!

Yeah I've got a few Fante stories collected in the BSP editions and a couple of random collections as well... Odd sickness, that.

Buk in anthologies -

Here's a nice one:
Even though most of you don't live in Europe, you might know, that Germany was devided into two parts for 40 years after WWII. 20 years ago, the eastern part, which was a comunist dictatorship, gave up, opened its borders and re-melted with the western part.

This East-German part (named GDR) was, as I said, a dictatorship and you weren't able to publish ANYTHING, without permishion of 'the party'.
Odd enough, there actually was an anthology in the GDR that had three Bukowski-Poems in it.

These were:
- Machineguns, Towers and Timeclocks
- The Race
- The Talkers

The cover looked like this (click to enlarge):

book_Buk-adlibitum-anthology_coversmall.jpg book_Buk-adlibitum-anthology_shortdata.gif

you can see Bukowskis name (amongst other well known persons) being the 3rd from top left.

If you're interested in the data of this publication, you can find it HERE.

If you're crazy for high-resolution-scans (or run chronic's website), you can download all this in a big paket HERE.

Fuck it, what is André Heller doing in there?

Jesus, I never would have thought he and Bukowski might be published in the same periodical ... not even on the same planet, that is.

Hehe. That's great.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dreaded Feast

It sounds like a great book. I'm thinking of buying it. Btw, it's only $10.85 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dreaded-Feast...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257970883&sr=1-1

This one about new words in the English language sounds interesting and funny:

http://www.amazon.com/Addictionary-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257971165&sr=1-1

you can see Bukowskis name (amongst other well known persons) being the 3rd from top left.

I see Claire Bretécher is in the collection too. She's mostly known as a comic book artist where she indulges in social satire. I wonder if it's some of her comic book pages there's included in the collection.

Even though most of you don't live in Europe, you might know, that Germany was devided into two parts for 40 years after WWII. 20 years ago, the eastern part, which was a comunist dictatorship, gave up, opened its borders and re-melted with the western part.

So one part of the country wanted miles, the other kilometers, correct?

So one part of the country wanted miles, the other kilometers, correct?

not exactly. one part wanted whiskey, the other vodka.

[...] Claire Bretécher [...]
[...] Woody Allen and Albert Einstein [...]

there's some confusion on the contributing authors:

the column on the left (white letters) names the authors, that actually ARE in the book, while the column to the right (dark red letters) names authors to be in the next issue (#4) of this series of books ('ad libitum' - sammlung zerstreuung).

so neither Bretécher nor Einstein are in that particular book. Woody Allen is - with the screenplay of 'Zelig'.

but it sure is interesting enough to see, who was put together in a series of anthologies there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back