"Find what you love and let it kill you" (2 Viewers)

Thankyou Bill....funny you should mention Bluebird because I read that to her also. Bluebird gets me right in my heart. Genius of the Crowd is another good one.

Joined here purely to say this:

MJP, your attitude towards the ladies posting on this thread is nothing short of embarrassing, and you really should NOT be a moderator. You seem angry towards them -I hope whatever has happened involving women to make you feel this bitter, you eventually deal with it, and stop being such a misogynistic fcuknugget.

EDIT: Perhaps it's just your attitude to *anyone* you deem less than you. Just so SAD...

... MJP ... you really should NOT be a moderator. You seem angry ...

Tom Petty said it well when he said "you don't know how it feels. no you don't know how it feels. to be mjp"

this site has almost 5000 members and well over 7000 threads. not an easy feat. people come in here off the streets talking all kinds of different crap, because its the internet and the world is crazy and people often are too myself included. when somebody is out of line or presumptuous, the nearest authority figure puts them in their place. that is always how the world works. ideally this is done in a balanced way but there's not always time for balance when teh world spins sideways and the acid rain comes tumbling down. the women on this thread used that classic double talk 'oh i'm sweet and pretty' on the one hand and then, under their breath they don't respect anyone and feel entitled to spout off about whatever without thinking it through first. come to think of it, YOU just spouted off about whatever without thinking it through first.

that said, the bitterness mellows when you cook it down, add some salt, rice vinegar and a pinch of sugar. good to go.

when somebody is out of line or presumptuous, the nearest authority figure puts them in their place. that is always how the world works. ideally this is done in a balanced way but there's not always time for balance when teh world spins sideways and the acid rain comes tumbling down.

Fascist! There is always time for balance. Even when teh world spins sideways.

Well, if the Houston Press says it, it must be true.

Actually, the singer from that band, Ramon Medina, emailed me a couple of weeks ago with the Kinky Friedman attribution. I neglected/forgot to post the attribution here.

The "one old woman who couldn't tell you why some random Facebook poster first attributed it to Bukowski" quote in the article comes from one of my responses to Ramon. Which begs the question, since when do newspapers quote third party emails without permission? Seems to me that someone shouldn't be surprised by seeing passages from their emails in "newspaper" articles.

Just saying, Houston Press. You aren't wikileaks. Or maybe everyone is wikileaks now. Why not. What the hell.

Of course none of this will stop people from spreading that "Bukowski" quote for the next 100 years.

Bukowski may not have said everything but I'm sure he thought of it and didn't write it all down. To quote Sarah Silverman,"Bukowski is Magic."

Speaking of quotes attributed to Buk, I just saw a Buk quote on Facebook saying, "Without literature, life is hell", and I'm wondering if it's a genuine Buk quote or not.
Here it is:

Buk-Quote-2-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Literature? That sounds like Bukowski saying "Sexual Intercourse" instead of screwing or fucking. I smell Martin all over the sheets...

We don't have a manuscript, but as hank solo pointed out, the line is a quotation:

there is a French expression,"without
literature
life is hell."​

And it's from Slouching Toward Nirvana, so you can simply assume that Martin has changed it, and the odds are you will be correct.

The poem did appear in Bombay Gin in 1991, so that could be checked for changes. You know, if you have that issue.

Rock and Roll Dreams is full of uncertainty, but it's ultimately an album of conviction. Only one member of Temperance League has yet to turn 30. Their second-youngest member recently became a father. The pressures of life continually threaten their musical dreams. But Hazel pledges allegiance to a dictum attributed to Charles Bukowski: "Find what you love and let it kill you."

"After we made the record and listened back to it, that quote kept popping up in my mind," Hazel recalls. "That was the best way I could describe it. Something's going to kill you eventually, so it might as well be a love. That's what Rock and Roll Dreams is to me."

Misquoted again...

But then quoted correctly...

Last edited:
Jesus Christ....I am sickened to my core. That stinkin Martin slobbering his 'correct english' all over Buk's street wise tongue. It's a horror. How the hell can we get back at that bastard?

I know.

Let's have a US postage stamp made up of Martin's image! That'll teach em. ha ha..hahaha.

"sit back down" and "sit back" mean two different things. Arggg! The shitty "editing" is endless.

The worst one I've seen was this:
the Buk version, "I am a competent being..."
the Martinized version: "I am a competent and satisfied human being..."

A hawk swooping in on its helpless prey is a "competent being."
A lizard perched on a cactus is a "competent being."
John Wayne Gacey is a "competent being."

Mr. Rodgers is a "competent and satisfied human being."

you really have to look twice. I thought that this was a thigh in white underwear with the tattoo right below the hip bone. I need glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back