"Find what you love and let it kill you"

Discussion in 'Name that poem' started by hangman, May 10, 2012.

1. speaking of haughty, did anyone see the movie Haughty Naughty Hotties? it's about a a bunch of rich sorority girls and a pizza delivery dude and a stern lesbian Dean.

it's pretty good.

and that's not a Bukowski quote.

Skygazer and mjp like this.
  2. That's passive-aggressive jughead.

If you don't get it right, where's the teachable moment?

3. He is.
    When I met him in LA he was a perfect gentleman. In fact he even payed my bill at the restaurant.

mjp likes this.
  4. d gray

d gray tried to do his best but could not First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

and his pimp hand is strong.

mjp likes this.
  5. You are all clearly insane. Thank god. I thought I'd never find you.

Hosh and Skygazer like this.
  6. Skygazer

Skygazer And in the end... SAMCRO

It is a funny thread isn't it, when read from start to finish, it's like a mad Monty Python sketch.

zobraks likes this.
  7. hangman asks a perfectly legitimate question and it turns into people pissing on each other..weird..maybe Buk fans ARE dicks

8. Good of you to join in the pissing yourself.

Your detached participation is inspirational.

zobraks likes this.
  9. People being rude? On the internet? :confused:

zobraks likes this.
  10. Here is a little adaption of one of the most famous Bukowski lines ever! :) :wb:

11. Wow! Allow me to introduce a new topic. I read to my sister who lives in California a Buk poem a few weeks ago. I read to her "Dinosaurs, We", and she was blown away. She was sort of speecless for a while. She asked me when it was written and I didn't know off the top of my head. Since this website is filled with knowledgable experts of Bukowski can someone let me know what year this poem was written in? I could have did the google thing but this website is much better.

12. Before 1991, but not much earlier. Someone else may be able to pinpoint it better.

It is a powerful one and one that will grab people that don't read poetry too.

Next time try Bluebird and Genius of the Crowd.... Two other great classic Buk poems to start with.

Bill

PhillyDave likes this.
  13. Thankyou Bill....funny you should mention Bluebird because I read that to her also. Bluebird gets me right in my heart. Genius of the Crowd is another good one.

14. You might want to check the name of that poem before you read it to anyone else.

15. d gray

d gray tried to do his best but could not First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

he must have been reading the edited version...

zobraks, PhillyDave, 5:28am and 3 others like this.
  16. no, the edited version is titled:
    "the human race will be extinkt like other heavy drinking species who once ruled the planet, We"

5:28am and mjp like this.
  17. Joined here purely to say this:

MJP, your attitude towards the ladies posting on this thread is nothing short of embarrassing, and you really should NOT be a moderator. You seem angry towards them -I hope whatever has happened involving women to make you feel this bitter, you eventually deal with it, and stop being such a misogynistic fcuknugget.

EDIT: Perhaps it's just your attitude to *anyone* you deem less than you. Just so SAD...

18. Tom Petty said it well when he said "you don't know how it feels. no you don't know how it feels. to be mjp"

this site has almost 5000 members and well over 7000 threads. not an easy feat. people come in here off the streets talking all kinds of different crap, because its the internet and the world is crazy and people often are too myself included. when somebody is out of line or presumptuous, the nearest authority figure puts them in their place. that is always how the world works. ideally this is done in a balanced way but there's not always time for balance when teh world spins sideways and the acid rain comes tumbling down. the women on this thread used that classic double talk 'oh i'm sweet and pretty' on the one hand and then, under their breath they don't respect anyone and feel entitled to spout off about whatever without thinking it through first. come to think of it, YOU just spouted off about whatever without thinking it through first.

that said, the bitterness mellows when you cook it down, add some salt, rice vinegar and a pinch of sugar. good to go.

bospress.net likes this.
  19. Fascist! There is always time for balance. Even when teh world spins sideways.

20. Thank you! Without insightful, grounded opinions such as yours, we run the risk of losing touch with reality. Bless you, bless you.
    From your lips to God's ears.

Erik and Hosh like this.
  21. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Officials say drugs may have played a part Redwood Original

Gerard K H Love likes this.
  22. Well, if the Houston Press says it, it must be true.

Actually, the singer from that band, Ramon Medina, emailed me a couple of weeks ago with the Kinky Friedman attribution. I neglected/forgot to post the attribution here.

The "one old woman who couldn't tell you why some random Facebook poster first attributed it to Bukowski" quote in the article comes from one of my responses to Ramon. Which begs the question, since when do newspapers quote third party emails without permission? Seems to me that someone shouldn't be surprised by seeing passages from their emails in "newspaper" articles.

Just saying, Houston Press. You aren't wikileaks. Or maybe everyone is wikileaks now. Why not. What the hell.

Of course none of this will stop people from spreading that "Bukowski" quote for the next 100 years.

23. Gerard K H Love

Gerard K H Love Appreciate your friends Men of Mayhem

Bukowski may not have said everything but I'm sure he thought of it and didn't write it all down. To quote Sarah Silverman,"Bukowski is Magic."

24. This is like a really, really funny board.

d gray likes this.
  25. It's like a lot of things.

d gray likes this.
  26. hank solo

hank solo Just practicin' steps and keepin' outta the fights Vice President First 9 Reaper Crew ROAD CAPTAIN Unholy Ones

LIKE TOTALLY!

zobraks, Danny Mac and d gray like this.
  27. Bukfan

Bukfan "The law is wrong; I am right" Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Speaking of quotes attributed to Buk, I just saw a Buk quote on Facebook saying, "Without literature, life is hell", and I'm wondering if it's a genuine Buk quote or not.
    Here it is:

Buk-Quote-2-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  28. hank solo

hank solo Just practicin' steps and keepin' outta the fights Vice President First 9 Reaper Crew ROAD CAPTAIN Unholy Ones

That phrase appears as a quotation in the poem Writer's Block.

Bukfan likes this.
  29. PhillyDave

PhillyDave “The essential doesn't change.” Beckett Redwood Original Unholy Ones

It looks like all the books are Ecco editions. Of all the spines they could feature...

KieranTemple and Hosh like this.